Rate this topic

Hi everyone

I've posted on here before with all of my symptoms. I had a blood test for celiac last month which came back negative. I went to the dogs today to get my iron tested and while I was there I asked what exact tests I had for celiac. She said I only had one which was iga and the result was 0.8. What is the normal range?

Thanks

http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...C05-Testing.htm

Serologic panel

Of the commercially available serologic tests that aid in the diagnosis of celiac disease, no one test is ideal. Using multiple serologies increases the diagnostic yield. Therefore, in the United States, screening in patients with possible celiac disease should consist of a panel of the following serologic tests:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

The reason for the use of the panel to detect celiac disease is several fold. They include selective IgA deficiency (SIgA deficiency), lack of concordance of endomysial antibody and tTG, and the occurrence of seronegative celiac disease.

You need to be tested with the full panel.

Thanks for replying. Those links you guys have sent are interesting.

I think it was the IGA (EMA) one the doc did. She also tested me for wheat allergy and several other allergies which came back negative. If someone had celiac would their wheat allergy test come back positive??

I have looked on the internet and I must be stupid but I can't find anything which tells me what the normal range is for IGA, just so I can see where I sit.

Thanks

Normal, or ranges can vary from lab to lab. Each lab has their range of distinction.

I think it was the IGA (EMA) one the doc did. She also tested me for wheat allergy and several other allergies which came back negative. If someone had celiac would their wheat allergy test come back positive??

Thanks

Celiac and a wheat allergy are two completely different things. Celiac is an autoimmune disease, an allergy is still an immune response, but it's not autoimmune and the tests are based on two different component of the immune system. An allergy test is IgE based, and celiac testing is IgA/IgG based.

That being said, you can have one or both, but just because you have celiac doesn't mean you have an allergy, and just because you have an allergy doesn't mean you have celiac.

Ask the doctor for your test results so you can actually see what the result was compared to the range, and have her run a complete celiac panel.

Well I am actually waiting on a hospital appointment for a biopsy so do you think I should wait and see how that goes or do you think I should still get a blood test for full celiac panel?