mmmomx2

Problem For Parent Going Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

My 5 yo son just tested positive for a wheat allergy, and I suspect celiac is the real problem. Although he hasn't complained of GI issues (but had them when he was younger), he has many other symptoms, and I suspect his low weight (he's 32 lbs), which started our medical journey, is part of it. He was scheduled for an endoscopy in a few weeks, but I decided to put it off for now, since we have already started the gluten free diet, and he has refused to go to any more doctor appointments (he also has sensory processing disorder, and all of these visits have been really hard on him).

However, my question is actually about me. This is our fourth day of the diet, and my GI symptoms have been outrageous since we started! I've always had some mild GI issues, and nausea, but I've attributed it to my dairy and soy intolerance. This has been pretty constant since we started the diet, from gas and bloating to GI, and it starts from the time I wake up, which I've never had before. I don't feel sick otherwise, but my energy the first three days was pretty low. Has this ever happened to other parents? Would this indicate that I might have a gluten issue? Thanks for any thoughts on the issue!

There seems to be a genetic component to Celiac's Disease. It is well within reason that you could have it as well. There can be a withdrawal period when starting a gluten free diet. If you notice some things bothering you more, and others bothering you less, this could be what is happening.

I've had some similar thoughts myself. My boys were recently diagnosed and our household is going gluten-free. My husband, daughter and I are still waiting for test results....

I'm expecting #4 and asked about eating gluten-free and have eaten a lot less wheat. I've noticed some horrible symptoms but don't know if I should chalk it up to being pregnancy related or not. I hope more people reply with their thoughts.

Celiac is genetic; however, if you have celiac and went gluten-free, your symptoms should decrease; however, maybe some people's systems overreact at first until their body is used to the diet. I have DH (the skin form of celiac), and after I went gluten-free my skin symptoms actually got worse for awhile before they got better. This isn't too uncommon with DH, from what I've read on these forums. I read another thread recently about the same thing (cant find it now!), where the husband had lots of GI problems with gluten-free food after his wife was diagnosed.

What grains are you eating a lot of? It could also be that either your system isn't used to a low fiber diet, or you have another food senstivity (sorry!).

If you want to be tested for celiac, I would get tested ASAP, since when you're gluten-free for too long the tests don't mean a thing because you don't have gluten in your system.

Good luck!