This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamin D Deficiency?

Seamuskitty

darlindeb25 Collaborator
The difference between taking Vitamin D once a day and once a week is insignificant

So Ted, do I understand this to mean I am wasting my Vit D by taking it daily? Would I be better off by taking say 6000 IU's once a week?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MarathonGirl Newbie
Very interesting about putting it ON the skin. I didn't know you could do that...

I will be eating gluten for another week or so...not sure when the endoscopy is yet. Hopefully after I quit eating gluten and start to heal I will be able to take a supplement and it will be absorbed.

Full on tanning isn't possible out in the break area at work... B) But I have been sitting out there during my lunch break. I won't let myself burn because I can't stand it out there for very long. Its extremely hot and sunny where I am.

Thanks very much for the info. :)

The other thing you should try doing is weight-bearing exercise. I started walking and then running years before I got my celiac diagnosis. I started exercising because I was so frustrated with being sick all the time, and thought the exercise couldn't hurt. When I finally got the Celiac Disease diagnosis about 9 years later, I was happy to find out that at least I did NOT have either osteopenia or osteoporosis. The vitamin D I got by running outside combined with the weight-bearing exercise kept my bones strong, even though my gut was a disaster. Plus exercising makes me feel that I am more in control. The 9 years I was sick and misdiagnosed, and told that since I was still complaining I wasn't better it must be because I needed psychiatric help, the running kept me sane. I ran the Chicago Marathon before the diagnosis, and the Boston Marathon this spring. In December I plan to run the San Antonio and the Honolulu marathons. (See my posting about American Airlines "no-gluten-free business decision for overseas flights". ) Good luck with your biopsy. Drink some good beer while you still can pre-biopsy! I really miss good beer now that I am gluten-free. Redbridge is better than nothing, but I miss good beer.

mindyandy420 Apprentice

I am low on D25 hydrox???? I this the same thing??

Ivy Rookie

Went through the standard mega dose of 50,000 units once a week for many months. Then the Dr. moved me to 1000 a day. My pharmacy amazingly enough carries Gluten Freeda's which is D3. Dr. retested after two months of 1000 a day and levels were good.

Undiagnosed too long, I have permanent damage. With malabsorption, I think it's a good idea to have nutrient levels checked every so often.

D deficiency isn't unusual in the non celiac disease population.

Ivy

neesee Apprentice

I found this online. I think it's interesting. It may pertain to this subject.

Open Original Shared Link

fig girl Rookie
Thanks Tiff--

Wow you must have felt terrible with that deficiency! I'm glad you felt better eventually. I hope it doesn't drop down again though.

Its good to know that there are folks who care!! Being deficient in Vitamin D really makes you feel rotten!

I am seeing the "regular" doctor tomorrow and hopefully she will prescribe something for me. Meanwhile I sat on our screened in porch for most of the weekend and got as much sun as I could stand. I have been taking an over the counter supplement too. I do feel a bit better already-- :D

Hi,

My Dr. is currently testing my D3 levels to try and figure out my maintenance level. I started out with my level at 23 taking 2,000 iu's per day and i was feeling pretty bad (depressed feeling...just not my normal self and more joint pain and tingling in hands and feet) and my Dr. increased it to 5,000 iu's per day and within a day of the increased dosage i felt so much better. After a month on the 5,000 iu's my level increased to 43. She dropped it down to 2,000 iu's again and will test it next week to see what my maintenence level is. I have a feeling it will be higher than 2,000 iu's because i could tell a difference when i dropped it back down - symptoms previously mentioned came back a little but i'm sticking it out w/the 2,000 iu's to see what my blood test is. Also, i seemed to absorb it better taking the 1,000 iu's 5 times a day vs taking 1 5,000 iu capsule once a day. My symptoms came back a little just taking the 5,000 capsule once a day.

Good luck with it and hope you feel better soon! :)

TotalKnowledge Apprentice
Very interesting about putting it ON the skin. I didn't know you could do that...

I will be eating gluten for another week or so...not sure when the endoscopy is yet. Hopefully after I quit eating gluten and start to heal I will be able to take a supplement and it will be absorbed.

Full on tanning isn't possible out in the break area at work... B) But I have been sitting out there during my lunch break. I won't let myself burn because I can't stand it out there for very long. Its extremely hot and sunny where I am.

You must be close to me. Very hot, and the sun can be brutal. I thought living near the beach would be fun, nope just really hot, and now I never make it out to the beach anymore. I went more when I lived further away.

Thanks for the thread. I had not put much though into what vitamin deficiencies I might have. I have been taking a multi vitamin and have just started to take a multi mineral supplement, I will see what my vitamin D adds up to.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chatycady Explorer

I couldn't tolerate the D2. It upset my stomach and I was exhausted for a couple of days. I take D3 the gel form 3000 units a day. It has made a huge difference! I no longer have leg cramps, muscle aches and joint pain. I read that D3 helps heal a leaky gut. Lack of D actually causes gluten intolerance and leaky gut and all sorts of autoimmune diseases.

I was diagnosed with osteopenia.

manyallergies Newbie

Hi, I take Vitamin D3 in a cream (transdermal) rubbed on the skin. (I also take a B complex through the skin). Outside you only need 15 minutes a day without sunscreen to absorb a full daily allowance of Vitamin D. If you go outside and put sunscreen on it will take 15 minutes for the sunscreen to absorb into the skin and protect you. Meanwhile you get your daily allowance. Normal to high vitamin D levels are protective against cancer so definately work on it.

manyallergies Newbie
Hi, I take Vitamin D3 in a cream (transdermal) rubbed on the skin. (I also take a B complex through the skin). Outside you only need 15 minutes a day without sunscreen to absorb a full daily allowance of Vitamin D. If you go outside and put sunscreen on it will take 15 minutes for the sunscreen to absorb into the skin and protect you. Meanwhile you get your daily allowance. Normal to high vitamin D levels are protective against cancer so definately work on it. I get my transdermal creams through a "compounding pharmacy". Here is a link to the one I use but there might be one near you. Open Original Shared Link

Archived