G-freegal12

I Need Buiscuts! Now.

Rate this topic

I have my gluten-free gravy and my potatoes. I need buiscuts before I become grouchy. :angry:

If you can have dairy, I suggest the recipe on the back of the large Pamela's bag... They are really, really good. It's a bisquick type drop biscuit. If you use less liquid, you could roll them out. I add sugar and make them in a muffin tin for strawberry shortcake.

I got this recipe off one of the blogs. It's very good. Unfortunately I don't remember which blog. :( To the original author...thank you for a great recipe. It's wonderful. Please accept my apologies for not noting your name/blog address.

Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Biscuits

(Yield: 16 large biscuits)

1 1/2 c. brown rice flour

2 c. corn starch*

1/2 c. soy flour or sorghum flour

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 stick of butter* (chilled in the freezer)

1 1/4 c. soy milk*

1 1/4 c. water

1 Tbsp. cider vinegar*

1 egg, beaten (or the equivalent amount of your favorite egg replacement)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.

3. Grate the butter into the flour using the small holed side of a box grater. Mix the butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter.

4. Add the soy milk, water, vinegar and beaten egg to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.

5. Using a large spoon, drop the dough onto a greased pan to make 16 biscuits. Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Cook

I got this recipe off one of the blogs. It's very good. Unfortunately I don't remember which blog. :( To the original author...thank you for a great recipe. It's wonderful. Please accept my apologies for not noting your name/blog address.

Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Biscuits

(Yield: 16 large biscuits)

1 1/2 c. brown rice flour

2 c. corn starch*

1/2 c. soy flour or sorghum flour

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 stick of butter* (chilled in the freezer)

1 1/4 c. soy milk*

1 1/4 c. water

1 Tbsp. cider vinegar*

1 egg, beaten (or the equivalent amount of your favorite egg replacement)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.

3. Grate the butter into the flour using the small holed side of a box grater. Mix the butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter.

4. Add the soy milk, water, vinegar and beaten egg to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.

5. Using a large spoon, drop the dough onto a greased pan to make 16 biscuits. Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Cook’s Notes:

1. If you’re not vegan or dairy free, feel free to use 1 c. buttermilk in place of the soy milk and vinegar. If you’re allergic to soy, try using your usual milk substitute and keep the vinegar in the recipe.

2. You may substitute potato starch or tapioca flour for the cornstarch.

3. 1 stick of butter = 8 Tbsp. = 1/2 c. = 1/4 lb. = 115 grams

4. Earth Balance Buttery Sticks should work if you need this to be casein free. I just checked their website and the sticks are gluten and dairy free.

5. Thanks to Kate at Gluten Free Gobsmacked for the tip on grating the butter. It was a lot of fun and decreased my prep time by quite a bit.

I did the recipe before. I recommend packing down the flours when measuring them. Mine came out watery cause I didn't. Or using less liquid.

Here is another recipe to try from Celiac Mommy's blog:

RED LOBSTER STYLE CHEDDAR BISCUITS

1/2 C butter, melted

2 C Pamela's Baking Mix

2/3 C buttermilk

1/2 - 1 C sharp cheddar cheese OR grated parmesan cheese

1 clove chopped garlic or garlic powder to taste

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS IN BOWL. FORM DROP BISCUITS LIKE GOLF BALLS IN YOUR HAND (OR SLIGHTLY LARGER). BAKE FOR 10-12 MINUTES AT 350 DEGREES OR UNTIL THEY START TO BROWN.

these will freeze well and can be reheated one at time, if there are any left over! These remind me of Chebe bread and are great for dunking in stews and soups.

1-2-3 Gluten Free Southern Glory Biscuits are the most delicious things I've ever made. Just like a fresh normal biscuit. If you need one right now, I suggest tracking this delicious mix down stat!!

I have my gluten-free gravy and my potatoes. I need buiscuts before I become grouchy. :angry:

I don't know where you live, but in Denver there's Deby's Gluten Free Bakery - she makes the absolute closest-to-real biscuits I've had since diagnosis. And our Whole Foods Grocers gluten free bakery makes some pretty good cheese biscuits (kept in their frozen section).

You might check around for local gluten free bakeries and see what you can find, if you don't like to bake

I have some of the Whole Foods frozen bisquits. They are a little chalky, testure wise, but otherwise OK.

best regards, lm

I don't know where you live, but in Denver there's Deby's Gluten Free Bakery - she makes the absolute closest-to-real biscuits I've had since diagnosis. And our Whole Foods Grocers gluten free bakery makes some pretty good cheese biscuits (kept in their frozen section).

You might check around for local gluten free bakeries and see what you can find, if you don't like to bake

Honestly, Denver is a plane trip and a half away ;) but, thanks! PS Who makes good shorgum...sohrgum....(how ever you spell it <_<) flour?