This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms That Go Away

Lesliean

Lesliean Apprentice

To discouragedmomof5- For at least 7 years my periods have been 3 days long, stop a day and then pick up again for 3 days. Weird. For the last two periods (month 2 and 3 gluten-free) they have been as normal as a 20 year old (I am 48). Also gone are the yeast infections. I hope this answered your question. We all know that mood swings go with gluten too. How are you?

To Bean- I Had a constant pain in my belly 2 inches to the right of my belly button for 5 years that magically went away at 3 months gluten-free. I still plan to get a colonoscopy because I am about the age to start worrying about polyps but I don't hurt anymore. Mine hurt from the inside though and was not there for so long that I guess you could rule out cancer. I hope you will find it in yourself to eliminate gluten (assuming you are tested positive). The miraculous improvement might be the inspiration to staying that way. I am not as hungry now and enjoy an even greater variety of foods. My hypoglycemia is gone and I am not so tired all the time. There are substitute foods out there for just about anything you might crave. I know you can do it!

Leslie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emme999 Enthusiast

Lesliean,

I am *aching* to go gluten-free!! The only reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm waiting for the biopsy. But the more wonderful things I hear about symptoms going away - the more I want to do it!

Thank you for everyone's encouragement :)

Guest BERNESES

Bean- Go for it! It's easier than you think and it continues to get easier when you realize how much better you are feeling. I was gluten-free for 2 months and the improvement was incredible. My only regret is that I let a doctor talk me into wheat for 10 days for a biopsy that came back negative anyway (duh- after 2 months gluten free of course there was a very high probability that it would). So I'm back to being gluten-free and I'm just patiently waiting to get back to where I was before the biopsy. It is soooooo worth it! Beverly

discouragedmomof5 Rookie

Thanks for your input. I too have an almost constant pain in my abdomon. I am a little overwhelmed that gluten seems to be in everything, but on the same note I am sure that once we get the hang of this it won't be so difficult.

Most importantly I am really really excited to see what health problems go away once I become gluten-free. I don't know how to eat at restaurants, everything seems to have gluten in it. Any pointers?

Thanks

Guest BERNESES

Oh- eating out is tough at first so my husband and I made a compromise. We eat out less and eat at better places. At a better restaurant you are MUCH more likely to get the individual attention you need and it's worth it in the end. Alos, Outback Steakhouse has pretty good food and a GLUTEN FREE MENU! Bravo Outback! I was so excited when I went there the other night I almost kissed the waiter!

I'm peeved off right now because I've been trying so hard and yesterday we amde omelettes for breakfast and I used soy cheese (no lactose right now) thinking it was a no-brainer. Wrong! About four hours later I developed symptoms, checked everything and it turned out the soy cheese had maltodextrin. Arrrggghhh! Beverly :angry:

discouragedmomof5 Rookie

What is the best way to learn about gluten-free foods and hidden sources of Gluten. My diet is so limited right now. I have also develpoed a lactose intolerance, small amounts aren't so bad, like I can tolerate half and half but never milk or icecream, heavy cream puts me in bed with stomach pain.

I have read the places here on this site that are posted, I was just wondering if there is even a more comprehensive list than that?

debberdee Newbie

Gluten-freeinfoweb seems to be a good sight. I have it bookmarked. I also bought the Clan-Thompson Smart List. I have so much info now, that sometimes my brain hurts!!!! :blink: J/K I also have milk, egg and yeast allergies so I have done many searches on the web to find out as much as I can about food allergies and labeling on food products. The Net has a wealth of info. You just have to make the time to do the searches! Find the things that are specific for your life and go with them. I am finding that all this gluten-free stuff and allergy stuff is easier than I thought it would be, just time consuming(at least until I get the hang of it all!!!!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

Thanks for that additional list! It's a great help. I am however, mourning the loss of my beloved Reese's peanut butter cups as i can't seem to get any confirmation. :P

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Reeses are fine. They are made by Hershey which lists gluten ingredients clearly on the labels. If you don't see wheat, rye, barley or oats then it is safe. Enjoy

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest BERNESES

Well, I was gluten-free for two months before eating gluten for the biopsy in April (which came back negative anyway). After 2 months gluten-free the symptoms that went away or got better were:

Anxiety (I cut my anxiety meds in half)

sleep

night sweats

acne

ear infections

nail growth

weight gain (I've gained 10 pounds! I was a skeleton!)

better bowel movements

less nausea

intolerance to cold

goosebumps

fatigue

I'm sure there's others too. The fristrating thing now though is that after eating gluten for 10 days pre-biopsy (the biopsy was April 15) I feel like it's taking me forever to get back to where I was. It's been a month since I started eating gluten-free again but I just realized a week ago that one of my medications had gluten in it so technically I've only been gluten-free for a week now. I'm back to being lactose intolerant (milk chocolate gives me diarrhea for days!) and just feel like instead of being back to square one I'm back to -1. It's so frustrating. i wish I had NEVER eaten gluten for the biopsy. I'm looking forward to how good I felt at 2 months gluten-free again. Beverly B)

marycubs Rookie

Hi Berneses-

I think you are the first one that I see suffered from night sweats... I also was having that experience as well as other symptoms - I wondered if that was just me or celiac.

Mary

Emme999 Enthusiast

Mary,

I had night sweats too when I was doing the gluten-challenge. They seem to have gone away... of course, today is only my 3rd day gluten-free... ;)

Anyway, I don't think you are alone! :)

- Michelle

ianm Apprentice

I had night sweats by the bucket full before going gluten-free. It took me longer than 3 days for mine to go away so it looks like you're on the right track Bean.

Guest BERNESES

My night sweats were outrageous- we're talking get up in the middle of the night, wake the hubby and change the sheets. Hideous! They are really minimal now. I barely even notice. The worst was they would wake me up and I couldn't go back to sleep. Ugh!

GF-Jen Rookie

Like many of us, I went undiagnosed for 6 months. My first Dr thought I had a brain tumor (because of dizziness, headaches, chronic fatigue, nausea) and I had a CT scan (negative). Next the Dr thought I had early signs of MS (because of tingling in my extremities, plus all other symptoms) and I had an MRI (negative). Then they thought it was a thyroid condition (negative blood test), next Addison's Disease because I had low blood pressure (negative), inner-ear disorder (dizziness, vertigo, brain fog), etc etc etc. I was referred to an internal medicine Dr who tested me for everything (except Celiac), including most communicable diseases, and all tests came back negative. Now I know what I don't have! My main symptoms were chronic fatigue (I went from running 5 miles/day to not being able to walk around the block or go to the store), brain fog, dizziness/lightheadedness (feeling like I was going to pass out numerous times a day), nausea, diarrhea, muscular aches, headaches, weight loss, anxiety, depression, tingling in fingers and toes, cold, shortness of breath, generally feeling uncomfortable all the time. Now I've been gluten-free for about 15 months and every symptom has disappeared. The stricter I am gluten-free, the better I feel. Sometimes, however, gluten sneaks by and I'll have diarrhea and get fatigued and not feel well, but in general, I feel like my old self again.

Guest BERNESES

gluten-free Jen- My God- that sounds exactly like my story to a T. I was tested for everything under the sun from HIV to lymphoma to TB (CT scan etc.) Based on my symptoms, my primary care doctor nailed it on the head when she said it's either Celiac's or a thyroid problem. I knew about Celiac's and went home that day and when I read the symptom list I thyought "My God, this is my medical history." i went gluten-free immediately. My bloodwork for Celiac's came back a weak positive so I was referred to a GI who told me Celiac's was really rare and did all those tests on me.

By the time I got to a GI who "sort of" had a clue, I had been gluten-free for two months and everything else had come back negative and I was feeling great. Ate gluten for 10 days for the biopsy (which came back negative anyway as i knew it would) but after eating gluten for those ten days I knew my first instinct wasright. No more tests for me! I'm sorry you went through this too. Beverly :angry:

Archived