ENF

Wheat Protein In Hair Cream

Rate this topic

I got a haircut while on vacation a couple of months ago, and the barber used a "light hold styling cream", which they also sold in the shop. I bought a tube, without checking the ingredients. I just read the ingredients, and it contains, among many other things, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein and Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch.

I have not have any skin problems from using it, or any other symptoms. I only use a tiny bit on my hair after a shampoo, and wash my hands after applying it, which I have done even before I knew that it contained wheat. I have not even used up 5% of the tube yet, but now I'm nervous since finding out it has wheat products in it. Should I toss it?

I wouldn't toss it. As long as you don't eat it you should be okay ;)

Thanks Amy, I don't plan on eating it, lol. Once in a while I have to do a reality check, because I've been so careful since learning the ropes of gluten free living over the past four years, that I get nervous when a variable like this is entered into the equation. There's plenty of non-gluten toxic things that most people come into contact with every day, that could make them sick, and they just avoid getting them into their mouths. It's a task that I think I already know how to do. :P

I would probably break out from using that product but you haven't so I wouldn't let it worry me. You seem to be fine with it. Put it out of your mind and rest at ease.

Oh, interesting...I stopped using a hair product with wheat three weeks ago and the painful "pimples" on the back of my head have gone away. I never put the two together :o