sunnyl24

Appendicitis Or Celiac (or Gluten Intolerance)

Rate this topic

I've looked this up but can't quite find the right answer. I'm scared to go to a Dr. in fear that they'll do an appendectomy for no reason! (eek)

For at least 4 years (that I remember) I sometimes have pain about an inch to the right of my bellybutton. It's a small, circular spot and it feels like someone is stabbing me. The first time I remember it happening, it was mild and I thought it was just indigestion or something. Over the years it has gotten worse, sometimes it's mild with a few sharp stabs that make me stop moving/breathing till it's gone, and sometimes it's just very sharp and constant.

When it first started it was for 6-8 hours tops. Then 12. Now it's DAYS. I have to sleep it off sometimes and I have a quite high tolerance/threshold for pain, so this is always surprising.

My mom told me grave's disease runs in the family, and so does Chrons. Since I alternate between diarrhea and constipation (normally constipation, which i thought was completely normal) she suggested I try a gluten free diet. I have been for 2 days so far and today I had teriyaki sauce, just a little bit, and I've had constipated diarrhea if that's even possible, for 8 hours. It wont come but it's there, and then BAM I NEED THE BATHROOM!!!!!!! Type thing.

While it seems like it could be a form of gluten intolerance because of this (and a while back I had odd looking diarrhea when I was in AZ and I generally only ate enchiladas, burritos, etc made of flour tortillas. And had them with my breakfast, etc....) I am very concerned it could be my appendix and I'm scared I'm like walking around with an appendix about to burst, but I don't want an unnecessary surgery.

Can anyone shed light on this at all????

There are some specific indictors for appendicitis. If you are having pain that doesn't go away, it would be best to see a doctor. There could be a multitude of things causing the pain.

A ruptured appendix is a big deal. My husband was hospitalized for 10 day with one.

I urge you to seek medical care today.

On the other hand, I've never heard of appendix pain for 4 years. I'm no dr, so I can only say my opinion. I get a lot of pain with gluten and it can be in that area or the other side. It probably is time for you to have a colonoscopy with your family history and your mom is very smart to get you off gluten. Definately if being off gluten feels better to you keep it up but don't put off basic medical care.

I agree it is time to see a doctor. Before you go gluten free it is best to at least have a blood test for it. Once you are gluten free the blood tests are worthless. As stated there are particular signs that would be looked for if you are experiencing appendicitis attacks. The sort of pain you are describing could be from any number of things, including celiac disease, and you should get it checked out. In my opinion it would be highly unlikely that a doctor would remove your appendix unless it is indicated that that was causing your problems.

You DEFINITELY need to see a doctor, although i think I can just about guarantee you haven't had appendicitis for four years!!

richard

An appendix can flare and improve. The OP went from occasional pain that resolved on it's own to continual pain. An appendix can be trapped in a pocket which prevents the classic rupturing and the symptoms associated with it. This is problematic because the infection spreads much more slowly and insidiously. It causes a duller pain and sometimes isn't unbearable until the abdominal cavity is infected. This was the case with my husband. He was extraordinarily ill because of it.

Please see a doctor today. A pain that is severe enough to require you to lie down for hours requires emergent medical attention.

I've looked this up but can't quite find the right answer. I'm scared to go to a Dr. in fear that they'll do an appendectomy for no reason! (eek)

For at least 4 years (that I remember) I sometimes have pain about an inch to the right of my bellybutton. It's a small, circular spot and it feels like someone is stabbing me. The first time I remember it happening, it was mild and I thought it was just indigestion or something. Over the years it has gotten worse, sometimes it's mild with a few sharp stabs that make me stop moving/breathing till it's gone, and sometimes it's just very sharp and constant.

When it first started it was for 6-8 hours tops. Then 12. Now it's DAYS. I have to sleep it off sometimes and I have a quite high tolerance/threshold for pain, so this is always surprising.

This is one of the symtoms that led me to understand about my gluten intolerance. I have had the exact same pain as you in the appendix area for about 15 years, too. I recently had many tests that ruled out appendicitis, diverticulitis, Chron's, etc. This area of my abdomen, the lower right quadrant, is where I bloat up the most. It feels literally like a baloon blowing up in that area.

Well, when I lay off the wheat/gluten grains the bloating and pain magically disappears. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Thomas

If this pain occurs more-or-less monthly, it might be a corpus luteum cyst, an ovarian cyst, or even a fibroid (at least, if you are female). I agree that it should be checked out by a competent doctor. Usually, they will not operate on an appendix unless there is clear indication of infection. They will most likely order ultrasounds, both external and internal.