The Fluffy Assassin

Nyt: The Expense Of Eating With Celiac Disease

Rate this topic

By LESLEY ALDERMAN

Published: August 14, 2009

You would think that after Kelly Oram broke more than 10 bones and experienced chronic stomach problems for most of his life, someone (a nurse? a doctor?) might have wondered if something fundamental was wrong with his health. But it wasn

We actually spend much less than before diagnosis. Very little eating out, cooking from scratch, not buying crap food from the grocery store, impulse buys, etc. It's been great for us in many different ways!

I liked the article -- the only word I can think of to describe it is calm. It doesn't make the diet sound impossible, nor does it try to get controversial, even though it mentions how care in the US is woefully behind care in other countries. Overall, it sounds doable despite the costs involved, and I like that it ended on a positive note.

When we were just one the gluten free diet ~ it wasn't so expensive. Now that we are avoiding the full top eight and peas and chick peas ~ YIKES! It's nightmare expensive.

How ironic ~ is food with less ingredients can cost that much more!!?

We actually spend much less than before diagnosis. Very little eating out, cooking from scratch, not buying crap food from the grocery store, impulse buys, etc. It's been great for us in many different ways!

Ditto for me. I cook a lot, but don't spend much more. You have to be creative and inventive. Or spend a lot of money.