UnhappyCoeliac

Celiac And Mental Symptoms?

Rate this topic

Is it really true is there any evidence?

I am somewhat on and off depressed, but am lately having events in which I am convinced I am about to die, quite frightening chest pain, other stuff that is real or I imagine?

Is this perhaps because I havent been on my diet for 6mths? :(

It certainly could be related to gluten. Depression and some other mental health issues are more prevalent in the celiac population than in the general population. If you Google it I think you will find that out. What you are describing sounds like panic attacks. Why have you gone off your diet? Are your life circomstances more stressful lately than usual?

There is a link between gluten and mental illness. Here is a link to one article but there are many more-

http://Spammers Use This To Link To Spam.com/?Brain-And-Neurol...t&id=904155

There are many neurological problems that in undiagnosed and untreated Celiac disease but include neuropathy, balance problems (ataxia), seizures, MS-like symptoms, headaches, memory impairment, depression and anxiety, inattention (ADD/ADHD), schizophrenia, dementia, muscle weakness, childhood developmental delay, autism (Asperger's).

Is it really true is there any evidence?

I am somewhat on and off depressed, but am lately having events in which I am convinced I am about to die, quite frightening chest pain, other stuff that is real or I imagine?

Is this perhaps because I havent been on my diet for 6mths? :(

Yes. I went through several rounds of heart tests, dye injections, stress tests, a CAT scan, etc. I had all the symptoms of a classic heart attack, but it was completely normal. This went on for years. Not to mention the mental issues (panic attack, anxiety, etc). Since going gluten free (and soy free for me also) I haven't had any chest pains whatsoever and a strong reduction in the psychological symptoms. Chest pain (angina) is one of the over 300 symptoms, associated conditions, and related disorders. Also there is some research showing the the neurological and psychological symptoms may be as common if not more common than the 'classic' gastro-intestinal symptoms.