virginiabeach

Karate

Rate this topic

I spend about 9 hours a week in the dojo... I shied away from running because I am 54 and know that I did have mild osteoporosis 2 years ago when I had bone density test. This is one of "our" problems. I take calcium with OJ for that. I'm not near as worried about the kicks & bumps in the dojo as I am about the mis-step on the trail.

Just got a blue stripe on my green belt Friday -- I've been doing this less than a year, started when I realized how much damage I had after putting up with an inconsiderate (process of divorce) husband for 15 years after I knew what the problem was. It's hard to explain, but the mental part of the training really helps cut through the fog.

Congratulations on you blue stripe on your green belt! I am glad it is working well for you and it will help keep your body in shape for sure.

Congrats - that's awesome! I've been studying karate for over 16 years - 11 in my current school - and I just got my brown belt last week, in fact! I also can't run (makes my knees hurt, plus a few years ago I developed plantar fasciitis and can't handle that level of impact without my foot hurting), but karate works really well for me physically. And the mental/spiritual aspect has completely transformed my life; at this point I'm not sure who I'd be without it.

Keep up the training - it only gets better! :)

Jeanne

Congrats on the brown belt. And yes to the mental/spirituality aspects. Our diet is a good bit more rigid than those imposed by various religious sects, and anything that re-enforces discipline is good for us I think.

It's taken me less than a year to go from white to where I am... I do spend about 9 hours a week in the dojo, and I was very into martial arts when I was young, but finding a dojo I could stick with that actually tested was impossible. When I don't work out that much, fibromyalgia and neuropathy raise their ugly teeth, anyway, and I prefer knowing that if it hurts I know how it happened. But my dojo is open 7 days a week with about 14 hours of class available for adults not on the exhibition team. And, we pay by the month, not by the class, unless you want private instruction.

It's taken me less than a year to go from white to where I am... I do spend about 9 hours a week in the dojo, and I was very into martial arts when I was young, but finding a dojo I could stick with that actually tested was impossible. When I don't work out that much, fibromyalgia and neuropathy raise their ugly teeth, anyway, and I prefer knowing that if it hurts I know how it happened. But my dojo is open 7 days a week with about 14 hours of class available for adults not on the exhibition team. And, we pay by the month, not by the class, unless you want private instruction.

Wow - that's really cool having so much class time available! I have a smaller dojo; there are classes 3 days a week. Ordinarily I go twice a week, but for the last year I've been going three times a week whenever I can to get ready for my test. Unfortunately it's kind of tough to balance that much dojo time with all my work and family responsibilities, so now that my test is over I'm going to have to go back to twice a week, I think.

Jeanne

Timewise, it's easier for me now that I am only responsible for myself. Wouldn't have been able to do it before last summer. The limited hours available at other dojos was one of the setbacks for me.

Most sensais have a full time job elsewhere... mine does this full time, 7 days a week. His wife owns a shop in the same strip mall. She helps out with the dojo, too -- leaves a note on the door of her shop when she does.

They run a summer camp for children -- 28 kids average a week this summer. The kids classes are almost that large most of the year, and the adult classes can be from 8 to 12 any given night, sometimes more.

It's a small building, but I guess it is a big dojo. I've seen one that consistantly had classes twice as large -- but only one hour twice a week.

There aren't many who could pull it off. I'm lucky I found this.

I saw your other post and replyed there first, I didn't see this one. My dojo is a small one and we meet twice a week. With batto that's another hour and if I help with kids classes (if they are short handed) that could be another two hours. When I eventually get my brown belt I can also take the advanced class. But right now am limited to about 4 hours per week. Sometimes more though. : )

Amy in Alaska