This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here And Going Through Changes...

TammyJean

TammyJean Newbie

Hi All,

I just found out that I have Celiacs and have now been gluten free for 1 week. The first few days were really hard but I think I am getting good at determining where hidden gluten is. I personally had bad bloating/gas and an upset stomach after having eating gluten...but now that I have been off of it I have started having HORRIBLE heartburn (so bad it feels like a tight belt around my chest and sometimes I feel the indigestion under my ribs) it has been constant for 3 days. I have NEVER had heartburn before. Did any of you go through withdrawal symptoms or weird changes like this when you changed your diet. I am taking probiotic, prilosec and digestive enzymes, and am leaving now to pick up a few more gut repair vitamins and herbs. Thank god I have a friend (who is a nurse) who has had this for 8 years so the transition is easier. Just wondering if this is all normal to go through these changes and what you all went through. *My gas/bloating is better, but this heartburn is all new! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
Hi All,

I just found out that I have Celiacs and have now been gluten free for 1 week. The first few days were really hard but I think I am getting good at determining where hidden gluten is. I personally had bad bloating/gas and an upset stomach after having eating gluten...but now that I have been off of it I have started having HORRIBLE heartburn (so bad it feels like a tight belt around my chest and sometimes I feel the indigestion under my ribs) it has been constant for 3 days. I have NEVER had heartburn before. Did any of you go through withdrawal symptoms or weird changes like this when you changed your diet. I am taking probiotic, prilosec and digestive enzymes, and am leaving now to pick up a few more gut repair vitamins and herbs. Thank god I have a friend (who is a nurse) who has had this for 8 years so the transition is easier. Just wondering if this is all normal to go through these changes and what you all went through. *My gas/bloating is better, but this heartburn is all new! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

No doubt folks with similar experiences giving up gluten will show up any minute, but I had an odd experience more recently giving up other things. Giving up gluten was no problem for me at all, but last month I gave up dairy and fruits and more recently gave up soy. Suddenly, tomato sauce, which never gave me any trouble at all, started causing very significant acid reflux. So I'd say any change in your diet, however seemingly minor (I wasn't using much soy, and when I gave it up was when the tomato problem started) can cause surprising effects in your digestive system.

Hope it clears up soon, and welcome to the board.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast
Hi All,

Any kind of sudden change in anyone's diet is going to cause some kind of upset. So yes, what you are experiencing is very common and should pass rather quickly.

I have been gluten free for nearly 9 months and still get the occasional heartburn if I eat a lot of grains.

You also might want to consider the fact that too many digestive enzymes and probiotics could create too much stomach acid, which could be the cause of your heartburn. It is unlikely though, as heartburn is usually due to not enough stomach acid. But it is still something to look into.

I myself am sort of a pill junky, but I have learned that it is never good to take too many supplements at one time. It is always better to start off gradually and build yourself up. Also, remember that none of these holistic "medicines" are regulated by the FDA. So it is important to buy from a trusted company and to do a little research on anything that you are taking.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have experienced the horrible pain that you are going through. The most helpful thing for me was name brand Pepto Bismal Liquid. It would stop the pain within a few minutes. Hopefully your freind has told you of the dangers of crosscontamination and has told you what kitchen items you can still use and what you need to toss or donate. Just in case she hasn't.... You need a new cutting board, if you use wooden spoons they need to be changed out to new ones, scratched teflon or old pans for gluten foods that can not be cleaned to sparkling new state need to be replaced. Don't share a toaster, get a new one for your own use if there are gluten eaters in your household make sure they use the old one not yours. You also need your own condiments, pnut butters and jelly etc. If you have spices or sugar that you might have dipped a gluteny spoon in toss them and replace. Also something may don't think about is any significant other who is eating or drinking gluten needs to throughly brush their teeth and rinse their mouth before any 'deep' kissing. Some of us also benefit from making sure all toiletries and makeup are gluten free. There is a lot to being gluten free that involves much more than just food but it gets easier in time. I hope you are feeling better soon, it is not unusual to have some ups and downs for a bit.

amandabear20 Rookie
Hi All,

I am in the same situation you are. I have been gluten free for almost two weeks, and im experiencing weird heartburn and gas/diarrea only when I drink milk...but im stubborn and I won't give up milk because cereal=my best friend. I know theres soy milk but I don't feel like changing. When I was on gluten I had the same symptoms as you plus a few more (irritable, depression, migraines, fatigue). I know how you feel starting out, and I also have a couple friends that have been doing this for a lot longer so it does help. hang in there! it will get easier. I've been told the withdrawal symptoms will go away with time, because it is a healing process.

:)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I am in the same situation you are. I have been gluten free for almost two weeks, and im experiencing weird heartburn and gas/diarrea only when I drink milk...but im stubborn and I won't give up milk because cereal=my best friend. I know theres soy milk but I don't feel like changing. When I was on gluten I had the same symptoms as you plus a few more (irritable, depression, migraines, fatigue). I know how you feel starting out, and I also have a couple friends that have been doing this for a lot longer so it does help. hang in there! it will get easier. I've been told the withdrawal symptoms will go away with time, because it is a healing process.

:)

You really need to drop the milk for now. There are some good subs for it that are really going to be a lot better for you, at least until you heal. I personally would not switch to soy, go with a safe rice milk, NOT Rice Dream, Pacific brands is safe as is the Wegmans brand. Almond or hemp milk are also good choices. You could have casien intolerance in which case milk may remain off limits even after you have healed but at the very least you are likely dealing with lactose intolerance. The same area that is damaged by celiac is the area that is responsible for forming the enzymes you need to digest cow's milk. Chances are you will be able to add it back in when you are finished healing.

Archived