beanbird

Newbie- Doing Gluten Challenge

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking around the site, reading everyone's posts, gleaning so much info, but now I am doing the challenge I have so many questions.

I apologise in advance for this being so long.

I have suffered for many years with an array of symptoms that point towards celiacs (except I weight 175lb). I decided to try gluten-free for a few weeks, then after feeling amazing, I decided to see my doctor. She felt that it would be worth testing me, and advised me, when I was ready, I should eat gluten again in order to have a blood test.

She advised me at the time to eat 4 slices of bread for 2 weeks, that was 6 weeks ago, so I have done a total of 8 weeks gluten-free.

I started eating gluten again 10 days ago, and so many of my symptoms have returned (terrible bloating, awful gas, intestinal and stomach pain, intestinal noises, itchy head with lumps on it, feeling sick, I could go on). The one symptom that hasn't really returned is the diarrhea, I have had this twice in 10 days, whereas before gluten-free it was daily, although my stools are like mush with undigested food. (sorry for being so graphic)

I have read in so many places that the challenge should be for longer, such as 6-8 weeks, and that the test is often negative. I am scared of doing just 2 weeks, and getting a negative result.

Would 2 weeks be long enough?

In my mind diarrhea is the one symptom I should have before being tested. Is that right?

Could I have healed my gut during the 8 weeks I was gluten-free, and that be the reason I haven't had diarrhea?

If I increase my gluten intake (more than 4 slices) would my symptoms get stronger and mean I can get tested quicker?

I am so desperate right now, I feel like a barrel, I am in pain, I have zero energy, I am suddenly depressed and insular (where as 2 weeks ago I was bouncy and going to the gym). I slept for 10 days last night instead of my usual 6!!!!! So any answers or help would be great.

I am in the UK, so I guess testing might differ from the US.

I am so scared, sacred of how I feel right now, and scared that I might not have celiacs (that might sound weird it answers so many questions).

Even if I don't have celiac disease I will be gluten-free for life after this challenge.

thank you all for listening to me ramble on.

beanbird

I really hate to have to say this but if you are going to get a doctor derived diagnosis you need to keep up the challenge for at least 6 weeks. Although I think your body has already given you the answer.

Welcome :)

I'm pretty new too and can't answer all of your questions, but here are the two I wanted to respond to:

-You don't have to be underweight to have celiac disease. Some people have serious weight gain and are unable to lose the weight and some have weight loss due to malnourishment and/or diarrhea.

-D isn't a mandatory symptom for a Dx of celiac disease, some people have constipation or go back and forth between C and D. Personally I didn't have any GI symptoms before my Dx and when I went gluten-free I started to have loose stools. I think it's a sign of my body healing and possibly a bit of gluten withdrawal.

Good luck and I hope you get a clear answer soon!

Jillian

<snip>

I have suffered for many years with an array of symptoms that point towards celiacs (except I weight 175lb). I <snip>

The one symptom that hasn't really returned is the diarrhea, I have had this twice in 10 days, whereas before gluten-free it was daily, although my stools are like mush with undigested food. (sorry for being so graphic)

<snip>

In my mind diarrhea is the one symptom I should have before being tested. Is that right?

<snip>

beanbird