jennavive00

Glutened And Felt...nothing!?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for 2 years now and the diet has definitely made a huge impact on my health and well being. I have never cheated or knowingly ingested gluten, so I wasn't sure what my reaction would be. Yesterday I had 2 sips of a soup that I thought was safe and then found out it had soy sauce in it. I was interested to see my reaction, but surprisingly I felt nothing! The only thing I noticed was this morning I woke up with red eyes.

I never had a biopsy done so I'm starting to get worried...does anyone else not have a reaction when they eat gluten? Or is it possible to eat a small amount and not do any damage?

Jenna

I've done the same exact thing. Last week I ate a small "taste cup" of soup, probably 2-3 tbls, at Central Market (Whole Foods x 2). The little ingredients sign did not list any wheat. Boy, was it delicious. So, I decided to buy some to take over to my Mothers. The full printout label listed "gluten (soy, wheat, corn)". :o Yikes!

No reaction though. I'm guessing the actual amount of gluten in your soup or mine, especially given the small amount of soup we consumed, was very minute, if any at all. Certainly not enough to cause any damage.

Just goes to show though. One can't be too careful.

best regards, lm

Not all soy sauces contain gluten :) It may have been gluten-free after all, or you're lucky and have a very mild reaction.

Cheers,

Jillian

I have been gluten free for 2 years now and the diet has definitely made a huge impact on my health and well being. I have never cheated or knowingly ingested gluten, so I wasn't sure what my reaction would be. Yesterday I had 2 sips of a soup that I thought was safe and then found out it had soy sauce in it. I was interested to see my reaction, but surprisingly I felt nothing! The only thing I noticed was this morning I woke up with red eyes.

I never had a biopsy done so I'm starting to get worried...does anyone else not have a reaction when they eat gluten? Or is it possible to eat a small amount and not do any damage?

Jenna

Not all soy sauces contain gluten :) It may have been gluten-free after all, or you're lucky and have a very mild reaction.

Cheers,

Jillian

No it had wheat listed as an ingredient. I guess I'm just lucky! All this time I've been stressing about crumbs and sharing pots and pans...guess maybe I can relax a bit.

Remember that if you have celiac disease even if you don't have symptoms you are still doing damage to your body.

But you are lucky that you won't suffer so much if you accidentally get glutened :)

No it had wheat listed as an ingredient. I guess I'm just lucky! All this time I've been stressing about crumbs and sharing pots and pans...guess maybe I can relax a bit.

I'd still stay as safe as reasonably possible because you never know. I've mostly had only very mild reactions if I have some minor CC or no symptoms at all, but I still play it safe because its hard to say what could happen. One day you get little to nothing on a response, the next it could be totally different.

My thought is that you have healed and that you are in what some of us call "remission".

It might take repeated gluten exposure for you to be symptomatic.