mom26boys

Seeing New Gastro Tomorrow--need Advice

Rate this topic

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise. I had a positive endomysial antibody (iga) screen. I had previously seen a gastro who basically told me I couldn't have celiac because I was too fat (I posted about it previously). I'm seeing a new one tomorrow and I'm assuming he will be "uneducated" when it comes to celiac as well. I would love to get others' advice as to how to handle the visit this time and what kinds of questions to ask. I'm also assuming this doctor will take one look at me and think the same thing the other one did, since it seems to be the norm in their thinking. I even have an uncle, who is a pediatrician, who doesn't believe I have celiac either and told me the endomysial antibody screen could be positive for other reasons. It seems they see the fat, and completely disregard the possiblity of celiac, even when I try to tell them the great results I had from going gluten-free for 3 weeks. Any advice anyone could give me would be so greatly apprecaited!!!

Try to think positively if you can. Not all doctors are clueless about celiac and the fact that not all of us are rail thin. You may luck out this time. Bring copies of your test results with you. If you had vitamin and mineral panels done and or tests for anemia bring those also. If you didn't have those done then ask if he will do them. Bring a list of your symptoms on gluten and list symptoms that have improved. If you are back on gluten, which I hope you are if you are persuing an endoscopy, let him know what the results were when you went back on it. Hopefully the doctor will be better than the last one you saw. If he isn't well....you don't need their permission to be gluten free.

Try to think positively if you can. Not all doctors are clueless about celiac and the fact that not all of us are rail thin. You may luck out this time. Bring copies of your test results with you. If you had vitamin and mineral panels done and or tests for anemia bring those also. If you didn't have those done then ask if he will do them. Bring a list of your symptoms on gluten and list symptoms that have improved. If you are back on gluten, which I hope you are if you are persuing an endoscopy, let him know what the results were when you went back on it. Hopefully the doctor will be better than the last one you saw. If he isn't well....you don't need their permission to be gluten free.

Thank you! Yes, I do need to remember to think positively. I've gotten so used to having to go before the firing squad, so to speak, about my obesity every time I go to the doctor for their help to figure out what is wrong with me and why I feel so lousy all the time, that I have grown to be very defensive with doctors. Thank you for suggesting the vitamin and mineral panel tests. I haven't had those done and hadn't even thought about it. I am back on gluten, reluctantly, and I find myself "cheating" by not having any for 2-3 days because I just feel so much better without it, but then I get back on the gluten and I feel horrible again. I will be so glad when this is all over and I can finally be gluten-free for life! Thanks again :)

Thank you! Yes, I do need to remember to think positively. I've gotten so used to having to go before the firing squad, so to speak, about my obesity every time I go to the doctor for their help to figure out what is wrong with me and why I feel so lousy all the time, that I have grown to be very defensive with doctors. Thank you for suggesting the vitamin and mineral panel tests. I haven't had those done and hadn't even thought about it. I am back on gluten, reluctantly, and I find myself "cheating" by not having any for 2-3 days because I just feel so much better without it, but then I get back on the gluten and I feel horrible again. I will be so glad when this is all over and I can finally be gluten-free for life! Thanks again :)

What you are doing is repeated gluten challenges and it seems each time the result is positive for your body not wanting gluten. No matter what the doctor says IMHO your body is giving you the answer.

What you are doing is repeated gluten challenges and it seems each time the result is positive for your body not wanting gluten. No matter what the doctor says IMHO your body is giving you the answer.

Yes, you are right. Thank you again :)

How did your appointment go? I hope the new doctor was at least a bit more knowledgeable about celiac and that all went well.