JerryK

Elevated Liver Enzymes

Rate this topic

Hi, possibly some of you here remember me;0

I was never officially diagnosed as Celiac, but pretty much confirmed Gluten Intolerance, thru

self testing and Enterolab.

I've been "mostly" gluten free for a couple years now (I cheat, yeah I know I shouldn't).

I just had a complete set of bloodwork done. I'm telling ya they took 29 vials of blood.

Everything looked good, except my Cholesterol was borderline and two liver enzymes were elevated.

AST was 48 (5-43)

ALT was 83 (10-58)

While exercise can affect the AST/ALT tests (and I went for an 8 mile run the day before this test), I've also read that Celiac or Gluten Intolerance can affect liver enzymes.

How worried should I be about this? My doc says it's not urgent...I suspect it's either an affect of too much exercise or Gluten Intolerance...Anyone else?

Hi Jerry--

Evidently, my liver enzymes go up when I get glutened. This has been documented by my GI after extensive testing to look for other causes. Mine were only slightly elevated like yours.

My billirubin was also elevated then and also before I went on the gluten-free diet.

Could be the "cheating"? What I would do is go 100% gluten-free for 3 months and get the levels checked again. Other causes of elevated enzymes are use of Tylenol or NSAIDS, drinking alcohol, or gallbladder problems.

Best of luck!

Do you take L-Glutamine supplements? Those can also cause elevated liver enzymes.

My liver enzymes go up when I am glutened. That is one of the reasons I had to quit my last job - I worked in a health cafe and just having the constant gluten in the air was harming me. So check out accidental gluten places.

Hi, possibly some of you here remember me;0

I was never officially diagnosed as Celiac, but pretty much confirmed Gluten Intolerance, thru

self testing and Enterolab.

I've been "mostly" gluten free for a couple years now (I cheat, yeah I know I shouldn't).

I just had a complete set of bloodwork done. I'm telling ya they took 29 vials of blood.

Everything looked good, except my Cholesterol was borderline and two liver enzymes were elevated.

AST was 48 (5-43)

ALT was 83 (10-58)

While exercise can affect the AST/ALT tests (and I went for an 8 mile run the day before this test), I've also read that Celiac or Gluten Intolerance can affect liver enzymes.

How worried should I be about this? My doc says it's not urgent...I suspect it's either an affect of too much exercise or Gluten Intolerance...Anyone else?

My enzymes go up with each glutening. And mine go WAY up. Like 100x's the normal.

So are the levels that I stated consistent with what you folks have seen...I don't know if these levels

are very high...relatively speaking....

So are the levels that I stated consistent with what you folks have seen...I don't know if these levels

are very high...relatively speaking....

Mine were similar to yours--my doctor said they were "slightly elevated" and that sometimes they see levels into the 200's or higher for various reasons.

I had a workup done to rule out gallbladder trouble and then liver disease that may have been in the beginning stages.