pbc+celiac

Accidental Exposure To Gluten Neurological Symptoms

Rate this topic

Well I have been gluten free for 5 months. I am doing well when aeating at home. I just came back from Myrtle Beach and feel I was "glutened".

Does anyone on forum have neurological symptoms after accidental ingestion. Mine seem to flare up like muscle twitching usually in legs, numbness anywhere, and sometimes muscle cramping. The only other symtpom I seem to get when exposed is a pain lower right abdomen. No typical symptoms so I was just curious if others experience the atypical symptoms as well.

I only had neuro symtoms upon Dx, I honestly believed I had Multiple Sclerosis!!

Thanks for any input.

Alicia

1995 Dx Primary Biliary Cirrhosis

Positive Biopsy Celiac 3/2009

Positive TTG and Endomysial 4/2009

DQ2 Positive 6/2009

My doctors thought I had MS also. My neuro symptoms are the first to show up when I am glutened. Within a short time of injestion my world 'shifts' and I will feel like I am falling when I am standing or sitting still. My balance will become much worse and I get a tingling pins and needles sensation in my hands and feet along with muscle cramps. I will also have trouble lifting the leg on the side that was more severely effected nerve wise so I have to be very careful I really am lifting it when I walk otherwise I stumble. I also get a severe 24 hour bout of depression. The GI stuff for me doesn't go beyond a lot of stomach growling and some bloating until about 3 days later, then it gets severe but the neuro symptoms take me about 3 weeks to totally resolve. Your not alone in this.

My neurological problems are: lightheadedness, nausea, and just kind of out of it. I have to go to bed and sleep it off, like some kind of stupor. Then I am fine. In the five years that I have been gluten-free, this only happened one time and that is when I ate Quaker Oats (twice, both times I was sick). I am gluten intolerant, do not have celiac disease so this is especially revealing.....no oats for me. Barbara