twe0708

Quaker Oats

Rate this topic

Can I still eat Quaker Oats if I was diagnosed with celiac disease?

Can I still eat Quaker Oats if I was diagnosed with celiac disease?

From Quaker website-

Because oats are grown, stored, and transported in bulk, they may contain trace amounts of wheat, rye and barley. USDA grain standards allow a certain percentage of other grains to be present in the oats. Therefore, gluten may be found in oats, even if very small amounts of these other grains are present. ( http://www.quakeroats.com/products/product...-questions.aspx )

So... While oats can be grown, harvested and processed in a manner to qualify as gluten free, quaker oats are not. I also find that I can only tolerate a small amount of oats in my diet even though they are certified gluten free. Talk to your doctor about eating oats. Good luck.

You can't have regular oats like Quaker becuase they are contaminated with gluten but there are several brands of gluten-free oats on the market - Gluten-Free Oats, Cream Hill Estates, and Bob's Red Mill are a few brands.

Keep in mind that certain people just cannot digest oats. I have a gluten intolerance and cannot eat Quaker Oats, they give me terrible neurological problems. I have tried the steel cut/supposedly gluten-free oats and do not care for them. We each have to find what does and does not agree with us and oats is very controversial in the gluten-free world. Barbara

You can't have regular oats like Quaker becuase they are contaminated with gluten but there are several brands of gluten-free oats on the market - Gluten-Free Oats, Cream Hill Estates, and Bob's Red Mill are a few brands.

New to this. May I ask what you mean by Neurological problems when you eat Quaker Oats. I don't seem to have any problems with them.

thanks,