GeishaGirl

5 Days gluten-free - Problems?

Rate this topic

So I'm on my 5th day of gluten-free (will see my doc in a few hours for a specific diagnosis -- jumped the gun a bit). The first two days of gluten-free were okay, with continued diarrhea. Last two days were pretty good -- NO stomach problems, "normal" poo, slightly increased energy. I woke up this morning to get ready for work, though, and felt that familiar "did I eat glass recently?" pain in my stomach. The kind that makes you double over and grab furniture so you don't fall. It only lasted a few seconds, but it really hurt! I usually don't eat in the morning, so when I finally (begrudgingly) ate something, it was my nice, gluten-free trail mix. Within minutes I wanted to puke. I took a few sips of water, and it felt like it didn't even make it INTO my stomach, like it was sitting around in my esophogus. Now I get those random bursts of pain as the stuff travels through my gut.

Thoughts?

Maybe I'm not gluten sensitive?

Maybe it's the lack of sleep the past two days?

Residual damage rearing up?

Just "one of those things"?

I'm usually so well-read on my conditions, but I can't seem to find GOOD literature on celiac/GI. I find people selling stuff. So.. any ideas? :)

after only five days gluten free, are you certain that you've eliminated all forms of gluten - the clearly labeled "wheat", the hidden "malt flavoring" and "natural spices", and cross contamination from your kitchen (like the toaster, cutting boards, colanders, etc.)?

I'm 99.9% sure :) I don't do anything half-assed -- not my nature :) I bought several books, including recipe books, and I know that there has been nothing suspect in any of the food I've knowingly consumed. My husband was in charge of cooking, but he knows how important this is (he sees it as a new cooking challenge and is determined to make me happy and healthy!) so I doubt he'd let something slip in. We spent a day cleaning and organizing before we started.

I feel better now, although slightly "bigger" than usual in the torso area. I haven't re-checked the trail mix ingredients, but I remember I bought it because it wasn't an offender....

Hello :)

I've been gluten-free for 2 months and it has been a roller coaster. Even when I was 100% sure I wasn't glutened, I still experienced ocassional stomach pain, fatigue, etc. It has only been 5 days and takes some people a lot longer than that to feel the positive effects of going gluten-free. Your stomach is also probably very sensitive if you do indeed have celiac disease because of inflammation, flattened villi, etc. so certain foods may irritate it even if they are gluten-free. I had to avoid acidic foods (apple juice, tomatoes, etc) for a while and also had to give up caffeine :( Some people have trouble with dairy and grains (even gluten-free ones) at first. It's best to stick to as natural a diet as possible in the beginning and slowly add foods back in to see if you can handle them.

Hope the doc has some answers for you!

Good luck,

Jillian

I'm 99.9% sure :) I don't do anything half-assed -- not my nature :) I bought several books, including recipe books, and I know that there has been nothing suspect in any of the food I've knowingly consumed. My husband was in charge of cooking, but he knows how important this is (he sees it as a new cooking challenge and is determined to make me happy and healthy!) so I doubt he'd let something slip in. We spent a day cleaning and organizing before we started.

I feel better now, although slightly "bigger" than usual in the torso area. I haven't re-checked the trail mix ingredients, but I remember I bought it because it wasn't an offender....

You could have been glutened through cc, pretty easy to do in the beginning. Have you been eating processed foods or mixes labeled gluten-free? Those can have small amounts of gluten that sensitive people react to. Or, for me, just eating alternate grains give me the glass in the gut feeling. You'll have to analyze what you've eaten to find you answer.