twe0708

Foods To Eat

Rate this topic

What foods can I eat that will replace the nutrients I am losing from not eating wheat products?

Thanks.

Vitamins?

richard

What nutrients to we get from wheat flour?

aside from enrichment of bread with folic acid (which isn't something we get from *wheat* anyway, just the enrichment that is added to it), there is nothing unique about wheat. it isn't a fabulous source of anything in particular - though it's got a good amount of niacin and riboflavin and some of the trace minerals (phosphorus, zinc, selenium). you can get these from plenty of other food sources - including gluten free grains, beans, nuts, vegetables, and fruit. replace the wheat you used to eat with whole foods, and there shouldn't be much of a problem.

the only thing to be concerned about is if you don't have another source of folic acid in the diet, as wheat products are one of the few that are fortified with added folic acid. it's fairly easy to get in a multi-vitamin, however.

I found that I had to do some digging to replace the FIBER in my diet I used to get from whole-grain bread and oats. Although I do OK with oats I can't bring myself to pay the high price of gluten-free oats in order to have them every day. I used to eat oatmeal almost every day and use whole wheat flour in all my cooking (even gravy!).

Replacements I've found have included rice bran (add to just about anything), flax, quinoa, and beans (including bean flours of various types).

The fiber in cooked vegetables just doesn't seem to get the job done for me, and I have trouble eating large quantities of ANY raw vegetable except lettuce, due to allergic reactions. So I do have to get creative.

Sometimes I splurge on a box of Flax-4-Life Gluten-Free oat & flax muffins. I always feel so good after I eat those. :)

Other than fiber, I don't think there's anything to miss from wheat that a standard (gluten-free) multi-vitamin won't make up for.

I really liked the book The Gluten Free Nutrition Guide by Tricia Thompson. It was easy to read, interesting, and extremely informative. Anybody looking for more comprehensive information on proper nutrition with a gluten-free diet ought to check this book out.

One of my friends is a dietician, and she said to buy one of those B-complex multivitamins as those grains offer alot of those vitamins... I really worry about that as well, but I eat cereal daily to get different grains in... I do take a multi in hopes that that will make up for any missing vitamins...

I think the yeast does benifit you with B-Vitamins Ive just ordered Bio care again tops vitamins easy to absorb. You would probabaly be missing the yeast unless you have marmite on your potatoes!!

:blink: