This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)

AliB

Ms Jan Rookie

Thanks Sherry, :)

I'd heard about the ginger root tea, but not really gotten into it before. Now I tried it, and it's really good. Meat broth, however, won't work for me in that stage as it's like anything demanding any kind of digestion makes the poisoning worse (I used not even to be able to drink boiled water for a day or two, at its worst). But as long as I can drink a few concoctions without it making me more sick, and maybe even soothing the situation that'll be helpful.

This time I believe it was triggered by some bacon I ate last saturday. but it might also have been a combination of this and the buildup from the herbal cleansing I'm doing. Have a feeling that my liver can only take a certain amount then it 'cloggs up' and passes the toxins straight into the blood stream. But I don't want to do a liver cleanse before having rid myself of the parasites. Then I also have recurrent malaria that I have lived with for 20 years, which means the malaria parasites reside in my liver. I've gone numerous times to tropical experts who insists that nothing can be done, but not to worry that the malaria parasites don't do any harm to the liver - but I'm convinced otherwise. Why else should my ability to break down alcohol, sugar and other toxins, not to speak about most non-gluten foods, have slowly dwindled to the now almost non-existing over the last 15 years.

Thanks also for the info on the strongyloides and the meta-metrix system. will check it out and see what I can do. And considering my body's limited ability to handle toxins, probably it is a good idea for me to take it in stages, with a total herbal cleanse first over a period of time, and then, to the extent necessary, go for tougher remedies against the remaining beasties.

Yes, it's like one thing at a time, slowly, slowly. But hopefully with a bit of tenacity we'll all get to the bottom of whatever we're dealing with ...

Jan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wschmucks Contributor

I hope everyone is feeling better-- it seems like we have all kind of been in a slump physically.

I havent been able to check the board for a few days, and its so funny how much we all have in common. After going through my Magnesium ordeal (was feeling much better--then ran out of magnesium--got MUCH worse), I decided that I would just start doing water enemas every morning. If the root of my problem is ellimination--and i am already 100% reliant on some form of laxative, i may as well do the least one that is kindest to my body. I have been doing this for about 10 days and really feel great. I dont have to worry about if im going to be able to go, and taking stimulant laxatives that hurt my colon etc. On the topic of Coffee enemas-- I did my first one yesterday. Not scary in practice but i can see how it could be intimidating. Dont be scared:-) Just do it and see how you feel. On the topic of Grape Fruit Seed Extract-- I JUST started this a few days ago, adding it to my Garlic and Oil of Oregano (3 times a day for...at least 4 wks, havnt decided yet). I am feeling alittle but like i have a cold today, not sure if its from adding the grape fruit seed or the coffee enema-- or both. But I am feeling some detox symtoms (which is good and bad :-)).

I have a BIG dr update. The stool samples they did showed VERY high levels of Staph (yummy) and traces of Candida. My blood tests showed a few things: Low T3 (thryoid hormone), High Cholesterol, Low Folate, and boarderline low Feratin. After about 5 rounds of testing that showed NOTHING-- this was like a sign from the heavens! My THS and T4 thyroid hormones were normal, which makes treating my low level of T3 some what controversial, but with the other hypothyroid symtoms of :high cholesterol, low folate, low ferratin (and family history) I hope my Dr will treat it, otherwise I will get a new Dr :-) So basically i have ANOTHER bacterial infection (which is why I added the grape fruit seed) and am secondary Hypothyroid. I havent seen the Dr yet, not til wednesday. I'm alittle nervous about what he might give me for the Staph, I will have to REALLY heavy up on my yogurt and probiotics.

mftnchn Explorer

Good for you for trying the ecoffee!! Actually, I find it helps with colds, reduces symptoms, shortens the cold.

Sorry about the staph and hoping you do get some treatment for thyroid. That is so common for celiacs anyway.

I'm still having the immune response--sure hope it means the strongyloides is being wiped out! Its like having jet lag all the time....

AliB Enthusiast

Hi all. Sorry I haven't been around for a bit, I have been pretty rough and all my PC energy has gone into trying to figure out what is going on and what to do.

Sherry I thought that bit about being constipated when detoxing was interesting. I do think I have been going through major detox over the last two weeks. Shivering, brain-fog, and just feeling pretty yukky.

The worst thing has been major gas and bloating and my hernia has flared up. Lack of sleep has been a big problem too - I have had to keep jumping out of bed and jumping up and down to try and get the stomach back down so that I can burp and release the gas!

I have finally this afternoon figured that the reason my liver feels swollen and sore and squashed against my back and the hernia has come back and my stomach feels tender across just under my ribs is probably due to an impacted colon. I forgot that part of the colon runs across the top of the intestines - I was thinking the problem was with my duodenum but am now sure it is the colon.

I am hardly eating anything - can't fit it in - my husband just tucked into a gorgeous roast lamb dinner that I cooked and I can't eat any. Boo-hoo!

Anyway, I have booked an appointment for early Tuesday morning with a Hydrotherapist. My husband has been mathering about it - 'isn't it dangerous?', shouldn't you see a professional (as in Doctor)?', 'how do you know something won't go wrong?'. Blah, blah.

How much worse can I be? Doctors have done sweet all for me so far. I just pointed out to him that it is MY body, that I know MY body and he doesn't. I also pointed out that whilst he has sat there and eaten a beautiful roast dinner I have just tasted a quarter inch of the fat and nothing else!

He'll be ok. Generally he's fine with things, but sometimes he just makes up his mind about things without really knowing anything about them. He knows I do loads of research so I wish he would just let me get on with it.

So, I will take a dose of good old Milk of Mag tonight and tomorrow night and hope that will at least help ease it a bit before I go. I am glad in a way that it has happened as having my liver pushed back has meant that I can actually feel the flukes moving which I couldn't before (he's skeptical about them as well!). I will be very intruiged to see what comes out!

I tried the zapper a friend lent me but have stopped it because it felt as if they were 'scattering' - I felt something go through my shoulder and possibly down to my heart which was disconcerting to say the least, so it looks as if I will have to resort to the dreaded anti-B's.

Out of interest has anyone tried MMS (Sodium Chlorite)?

Janne, I would have thought that the vomiting was your body trying to offload toxins. It won't keep anything down that is harmful to it. It may not be anything you've eaten but could well be just a route to get rubbish out. Do you think it might be a reaction to something you are taking though?

Ms Jan Rookie

Hi Ali,

Good to see you back on the thread!

Sounds as if you've had a really rough time. Hope you're better.

Think you're right about the vomiting; there is definately an off loading of toxic build-up going on, generally triggered by something I eat and can't tolerate. Once I'm sick I don't take any supplements, or eat much since I throw up all the time until I'm totally emptied out. Mostly it takes around 72 hrs, then I start getting better.

I think I'm okay with my current regimen of herbs, have cut down on a few of the stronger ones, like clove oil and wormwood. I've noticed that the wormwood always give me a queasy feeling. I think it's dieoff's, but I don't know for sure. I only know that I can tolerate it only in rather small amounts, so that's what I've settled on.

I also decided for a while to stick with the foods I know are safe for me: vegetables, a few fruits, chicken soup and nuts. It's basic, but it works, and it enables me to constantly monitor how my body heals and functions from day to day. Fx., right now my head is feeling funny and I know it's the wormwood I took an hour ago, and I know it'll pass in another hour, if only I don't ingest anything foolish ... so here I am making chamomille tea! :lol:

Did you get my last PM/email? tried to work out the system, so I hope they came through.

Jan

Bee-Jr Newbie

Good afternoon,

I wonder if you'd mind if I join this thread? I'm new to celiac.com, and don't have a diagnosis, just a suspicion. I've been following an anti-inflammatory diet since last September, so at that time I cut out gluten, dairy, and lots of other things. I have since discovered that I break out with eczema on my hands and get diarrhea every time I eat gluten, and the diarrhea is also fairly predictable whenever I eat non-cultured dairy products.

Having lost 60 pounds on the AI diet, I am still having problems with edema even though I am vigilant about watching my sodium intake. My doctor gave me a six-day run of prednisone, which I started last Friday, for yet another outbreak of eczema on my hands. Since beginning the prednisone last Friday, I have lost 10 pounds of fluid. Obviously something is still wrong that the AI diet isn't handling, so I have started the SCD.

I had already begun to make yogurt at home, although I was using "all six cultures" commercial yogurt as my starter, which of course includes bifidus. Trying to find an organic yogurt with just thermophilius, bulgaricus, and acidophilus is proving to be a challenge, and I haven't found anything suitable yet, even after trying three or four different grocery stores (small town).

Right now I am on day 3 of the introductory diet, and have been through one day of digestive bliss, only to find this morning that I the warring factions in my gut are alive and well, and have sent me tearing down the hall several times. I am hoping that this is bacterial carnage taking place, and that it will pass fairly soon. :)

Any comments or suggestions, anyone?

Regards,

Janie

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Janie. Welcome to the thread.

It is not unusual to experience digestive anomalies for a while after you start the diet. My digestion went through the whole range from D to C and back again over the first few weeks - I think it took 3 or 4 months before it really settled down.

Some reap the benefits fairly quickly, some a little slower - it really depends on your individual body and the damage it has incurred. Most find though that within 6 months they really are able to see the difference that being on the diet has made.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mftnchn Explorer
Right now I am on day 3 of the introductory diet, and have been through one day of digestive bliss, only to find this morning that I the warring factions in my gut are alive and well, and have sent me tearing down the hall several times. I am hoping that this is bacterial carnage taking place, and that it will pass fairly soon. :)

Any comments or suggestions, anyone?

Hi Janie,

Yes, it is very typical to have some cleansing going on. The initial huge shifts lasted about a week for me, but cleansing continued for awhile. Longer term SCDers say it can happen on and off for the first year even. Healing of the intestine is slow for adults, 1-2 years.

You can just use a safe probiotic for starter. The Kirkman acidophilus is SCD compliant, and they deliver very fast. One bottle will last a long time if you just use it to make yogurt. One capsule is enough for a batch and then use your own yogurt for starter several times.

Sounds like you have opted out of testing for celiac?

Bee-Jr Newbie

I hadn't consciously opted out of testing for celiac, but there are factors that sway me away from more dealings with the medical community than I absolutely have to have. First of all, my medical insurance really stinks, and secondly, if I were going to pursue this, I would need to find a more open-minded doctor. I have mentioned gluten intolerance to my doc three times now, and he dismisses it with a wave of his hand and tells me I eat too much. Even after having incredible results with the anti-inflammatory diet, I cannot get him to pay the slightest attention to improvements having been made BY THE DIET; he wants to attribute every change to the fact that I lost the weight. So in other words, I could have starved myself, or eaten nothing but 1200 calories of McDonald's cheeseburgers every day, and the results would have been the same. 'Scuse me, but I think not. He is all about prescriptions (and gastric bypass surgery - heaven forbid!), and apparently the amount of time it takes to decide upon a medication and then write the prescription is as far as his concern for my health will go. He also wouldn't discuss food addiction with me. Apparently that's a load of hogwash, too.

I also wonder, if I'm going to live gluten-free and with as healthy a diet as possible anyway, what good it really does to have the diagnosis. Guess, to make a long story short, I have resigned myself to being "on my own" with this, and at this point I trust my own judgement better than that of doctors anyway.

I have my first batch of 24-hour yogurt going at home today. I finally settled on Dannon lowfat plain yogurt as a starter; it was the best choice I could find locally. It has the right cultures, but does contain pectin. I will probably use part of my homemade yogurt as a starter (don't feel so bad about doing that since there's no bifidus in the mix) for the next couple of batches, which gives me time to find something better.

I haven't yet found the time to read through this whole thread, but sometime in the next few days I will. I'm sure that will bring questions to mind, and also, I think I am nearly ready to move beyond the introductory phase of SCD. I ate half a banana earlier today, so am curious to see how that works out or if it makes any difference at all.

Janie

prayin4achange Newbie
Do you get backache when your stomach is affected?

The cheesecake sounded good. I am having to avoid eggs at the moment as my stomach isn't coping with them very well, which is a bind as there are quite a few things I'd like to make that contain eggs. I made some blueberry pancakes for breakfast the other day using ground almonds and eggs and they were very good but my stomach wasn't at all happy after. Wouldn't it be good to just be able to eat without having to think about what might be a problem for the stomach! And then maybe it is combinations of different foods - someone was saying that he could eat toast and he could eat eggs, but he couldn't have eggs on toast!!!

I'm getting fed up having to think about food all the time!

Hello. I definitly get a lot of lower back pain when I get sick from some type of food. I always wondered if that had something to do with the food or what. I never really understood. I also have had problems with foods combined at times when they are ok by themselves and sometimes food is ok by itself when it makes me sick combined. it's REALLY weird. I am with youon the WAY fed up about having to think about food. Im usually not negative and complain much but this topic gets me in my not happy state haha.... im at the point where I hate to eat and I hate food. Sometimes I just wish I didnt have to eat. BUT when I dont eat i get major hypoglycemia. OH Lord Jesus we need help!! (I pray often for the supply of the Lord bc Im about to go crazy! hah!)

mftnchn Explorer

Janie, I hear you. Many people have a similar experience. I am very lucky to have a wonderful doctor so I haven't been on my own with this. One of my symptoms for celiac was weight gain--it became very apparent after going gluten-free. It is inflammatory and also apparently a starvation mode due to the malabsorption going on.

In my opinion there is some benefit to the diagnosis, given its association with other autoimmune disorders and malabsorption which can then be checked for and tracked. However, many seek it and don't get it because of poor testing/biopsy, or just that the diagnostic criteria maybe set too high for some folk. But ultimately the cure is the same--the diet.

Hope your yogurt comes out well.

Prayin, I have wondered about the back pain being referred intestinal pain. I have had it at times but have also thought it was female organ related.

pele Rookie

Hi Janie

Welcome to the thread. I hear you on the doctor thing. I also went gluten-free without an official diagnosis. Thankfully, we can treat gluten intolerance without a doctor's prescription. Does the AI diet allow corn? I have heard that for some people, corn is the eczema trigger.

Hi Prayin4

There are theories that gut inflammation can manifest in other nearby parts of the body. If one has leaky gut, just what is leaking and where is it going? It seems possible that backache could result.

Hi Sherry

It's been a while. Are you back in the USA?

pele Rookie

Hi Ali

Sorry you haven't been well. You are a source of inspiration to the rest of us and provide us with good information on a variety of topics. Wish you were reaping more benefits!

Roast lamb sonds good...

mftnchn Explorer

Hi Pele, I was in the USA for almost 3 months but am back in Asia again. I was absent for awhile for a number of reasons, mostly just too busy to be online much.

I've been doing quite a bit of testing and adjusting of my regimen. I managed to get most of my many supplements and meds SCD compliant. Currently am treating strongyloides, (two days of Ivermectin, wait to weeks and one more day of the med.) Then I will wait one week and am to do one month of treatment for protozoa, two more prescription meds. Its heavy duty but I have done several rounds of a herbal treatment and these are still persisting.

I am now feeling much better. I had a week of "hyperimmune syndrome" as my doc calls it--strong fatigue and brain fog that started 3 days after I finished the 2 days of Ivermectin. Today I have felt more normal, still a little fogginess.

I'm temporarily scaling back on my lyme disease treatment, and a little on the mercury chelation; my doctor wants me to find a balance so I am not swinging up and down but maintaining more evenly.

Also just got my test results back that shows my sugar residues in stool are normal! So that means SCD is working well for my carb digesting problem. A number of other things are still not normal, but am glad for all progress that comes.

Sherry

marthamom Newbie

Hello Everyone,

This is only my second time posting on the forum, so sorry if I'm not doing it right!

I was diagnosed with celiac in September 2008 (positive blood tests and biopsy) and have been gluten free since then. My gastro symptoms have really not gotten noticeably better at all, so I've decided to try SCD to see if things improve. I just have a couple of questions for all of you SCD pros out there:

1. I was so excited to try my SCD yogurt this morning when it was ready and was a bit surprised at how tart it was---so much so that i'm having trouble eatng it. Anyone else experience this? Any way to make it less tart without adding a lot of stuff? Also, it was a little runnier than I'm used to with yogurt. I made this batch with 2% milk--would using whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2 help?

2. I take a daily medication for anxiety, and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about starch that might be in it--I'm taking Freeda multivitamin and calcium, and I know those are ok, but wondering about this one.....

Thanks so much for any advice!!

AliB Enthusiast

I did have a very small amount of the roast lamb the following night (boy was it good) but suffered for it through the night and the next day (yesterday).

I didn't have the colonic in the end because having eaten, the food caused even more of a backup in my intestines and the pressure was awful. My blood pressure shot up to 190/99 and neither she nor I were prepared to take the risk. It undoubtedly would have helped and eased the pressure but initially adding the extra water might just have been a step too far!

It did ease a little last night with the Milk of Mag and the blood pressure came down again so I may ring her to see if she can fit me in tomorrow. I feel about 9 months pregnant at the moment (and have looked it most of my life so am wondering if this has been with me for a long time!).

You don't realise how much you rely on (and largely ignore) your digestive system until it ain't working properly!

Bee-Jr Newbie
Hello Everyone,

This is only my second time posting on the forum, so sorry if I'm not doing it right!

I was diagnosed with celiac in September 2008 (positive blood tests and biopsy) and have been gluten free since then. My gastro symptoms have really not gotten noticeably better at all, so I've decided to try SCD to see if things improve. I just have a couple of questions for all of you SCD pros out there:

1. I was so excited to try my SCD yogurt this morning when it was ready and was a bit surprised at how tart it was---so much so that i'm having trouble eatng it. Anyone else experience this? Any way to make it less tart without adding a lot of stuff? Also, it was a little runnier than I'm used to with yogurt. I made this batch with 2% milk--would using whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2 help?

2. I take a daily medication for anxiety, and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about starch that might be in it--I'm taking Freeda multivitamin and calcium, and I know those are ok, but wondering about this one.....

Thanks so much for any advice!!

Hi, marthamom,

Your post looks just fine to me. :)

I'm a newbie too, but can tell you that I added 5 packets of Sweet & Low and a tablespoon of vanilla extract to my homemade yogurt, and it is outstanding. I also poured off about 3/4 cup of the liquid that had risen to the top of the yogurt before I blended it with a hand mixer and packaged it to cool. (This was 3/4 cup out of about 4 cups total in this batch.) For me, it is perfect, and is actually a tiny bit thicker than most commercial yogurt I've tried. One more thing, did you allow the yogurt to set up overnight before you tasted it? It does need that cooling and resting time, I've found. (I just brought my first batch of 24-hour yogurt out of the oven last night, but I had made homemade yogurt before, so not a complete newbie at yogurt...) Edited to add: I used 2% milk in this batch, and also, the setting and cooling time helps it thicken up more. I think it's supposed to be tart, though, so you might need some sweetener or honey.

I would check the pharmaceutical company's website to see if they list what fillers and other inactive ingredients are used in your medication. Guess the real question, though, is whether you'd actually change medications if there are illegal things in the one you're taking. Is your doc on board with you trying the SCD?

I just discovered this morning that my B-Complex and my Calcium with D supplements both contain a host of maltodextrins and other nasty-sounding things, so I'm off to look for legal ones at some point, if I decide I still need them with all this yogurt and cheese I'm eating, and all the improvement in nutrient absorption that I expect to happen.

Does anyone else absolutely love this chicken soup? I made my first batch with carrots only, plus a little salt and a dash of cajun seasoning, and cannot believe how good it is with nothing more in it than that. In five days I've nearly finished that whole huge batch of soup!

Digestive system in fine form today. I'm lovin the SCD.

Janie

pele Rookie
Also just got my test results back that shows my sugar residues in stool are normal! So that means SCD is working well for my carb digesting problem. A number of other things are still not normal, but am glad for all progress that comes.

Sherry

Hi Sherry, Yay about the sugar test, I'm glad the SCD is working. Believe it or not, I give my horses ivermectin for strongyloides. Doesn't seem to bother them any.

pele Rookie

Hi marthamom

Welcome to the forum. Almost all commercial yogurt contains thickening agents, without which it, too, would be runny. Try straining off some of the liquid by placing the finished yogurt in a clean cloth in a colander for a few hours. The liquid whey will drip through, leaving behind thicker yogurt. Also, since the diet doesn't include grains which are the basis of most diets, you may get hungry if you do not increase your fat intake, so whole milk or even part cream is fine for the yogurt. The tartness is due to the loger fermenting time. Can you add some honey?

As far as starch in your medication--some people find that even tiny amounts bother them, some don't. At this point, you need to decide which is more important--the medicine or the starch--then ask the pharmacist or doc about a starch-free alternative.

pele Rookie

Marthamom

I just read your other post and in regard to introducing new foods, Elaine was vague on this issue, said she couldn't make up her mind about the importance of an intro and thus each edition of BTVC contains different advice. I have had wonderful success with the diet and did no intro at all, just quit eating the illegal stuff, then slowly deleted more things that my body said "no" to, like dairy. So go ahead and add legal foods a little at a time, but back off on things that cause distress.

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Marthamom - the fact that your yogurt was tart could depend not only on the fact that you used 2% but also on the types of bacteria that were used to culture it. Some produce a tarter mixture than others. Certainly using whole milk (and even a dash of cream if you fancy) will likely make it thicker (and creamier).

I tend to use the thick Total Greek yogurt brand as my starter which has Lactobacillus and Strep Thermophilus and nothing else and it comes out fine. As Janie mentioned you can either spoon out some of the whey if it is accessible, or you can 'drip' it through muslin to achieve a similar result and get a thicker mixture. If you drip it for a while you end up with 'cheese' although less of it.

Janie - great that your digestion seems to be settling - hope it carries on.

marthamom Newbie

Thank you all so much--this forum is great!

So I'm going to start over with my yogurt tonight and make it with whole milk and 1/2 and 1/2. If I want to strain some of the liquid off, should I do that right when the fermentation is done (but before cooling overnight), or when it's done cooling? I used the Yogourmet freeze-dried starter. Also, should I mix it before cooling, or wait until it's done cooling? I will also try stirring in some honey or Sweeet & Low--thanks for the suggestions.

With regard to the medication, I called the company this afternoon, and they said that there is corn starch listed as one of the inactive ingredients. The person I spoke to said that it's a very common inert ingredient in this type of medication (an SSRI)---so......I guess I'll have to figure out what to do. I don't really want to stop taking the medication, but I also don't want to keep taking it if it's contributing to the problem. I guess I'll talk to my doctor and see if there are any alternatives.

Anyone have trouble digesting the home-made fruit gelatin? It doesn't seem to sit too well with me, but maybe it's just everything that's going on with starting the diet...

Thanks again to all who answered----it's so nice knowing that there is a larger community out there who understands! :)

martha

mftnchn Explorer

You may find that after the yogurt is in the fridge it will separate a bit and you can pour more liquid off the top. I just stir it in and use it that way. It's drinkable, so I put it in a cup and add honey.

Acidophilus alone as a starter is much less tart in my experience, but I agree, it tastes better with sweetener.

Kirkman has a number of SCD compliant supplements, you could check their website. They also have SCD compliant probiotics, I use their acidophilus as starter.

1/2 & 1/2 makes a very very thick yogurt. I made some a few weeks ago to make a new york cheesecake. It was wonderful wonderful! I will post how I did it later because I tweaked the recipe in terms of how to bake it. It was so very creamy tasting.

mftnchn Explorer

Pele, LOL. Yes, Ivermectin is commonly used to deworm animals. Its really rather amazing that Americans regularly do this for their animals but don't believe humans need to.

Chicken/carrot soup, yum!!! :) I add fresh ginger when I cook it, puree it all, and when I eat it add more flavoring like cinnamon, salt, honey, or curry, fruit, salt and honey, etc. I never get tired of it.

Yay for the improvment on SCD!!!

Bee-Jr Newbie
Thank you all so much--this forum is great!

So I'm going to start over with my yogurt tonight and make it with whole milk and 1/2 and 1/2. If I want to strain some of the liquid off, should I do that right when the fermentation is done (but before cooling overnight), or when it's done cooling? I used the Yogourmet freeze-dried starter. Also, should I mix it before cooling, or wait until it's done cooling? I will also try stirring in some honey or Sweeet & Low--thanks for the suggestions.

With regard to the medication, I called the company this afternoon, and they said that there is corn starch listed as one of the inactive ingredients. The person I spoke to said that it's a very common inert ingredient in this type of medication (an SSRI)---so......I guess I'll have to figure out what to do. I don't really want to stop taking the medication, but I also don't want to keep taking it if it's contributing to the problem. I guess I'll talk to my doctor and see if there are any alternatives.

Anyone have trouble digesting the home-made fruit gelatin? It doesn't seem to sit too well with me, but maybe it's just everything that's going on with starting the diet...

Thanks again to all who answered----it's so nice knowing that there is a larger community out there who understands! :)

martha

Martha,

Since this will be the first batch of yogurt you've made with whole milk and half-and-half, I'd wait to see what consistency you end up with before pouring any liquid off. My suggestion: when the culturing is finished, mix the yogurt well with a hand mixer or whisk, add any sweeteners/extracts, and move to the containers you'll store it in. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Then test the yogurt and see how you like it. If it's still too thin, you can always drip it, like Ali said. (You can use a coffee filter instead of cheesecloth, if the filter is on hand but cheesecloth isn't.) Just line a wire strainer with the cloth or coffee filter. Sit the strainer on top of a bowl so that there's room in the bowl for water to collect, but the strainer won't be touching the water. Put the yogurt inside the filter and let it sit for anywhere from 2 to 8 hours, depending on how much thicker you want it to be. I usually cover the top of the whole gizmo with a plate or something.

If you let it sit for the full 8 hours, you'll probably end up with yogurt cheese, which has a consistency very close to cream cheese (and can be used in some of the SCD recipes in place of dry curd cottage cheese). You could also drip the batch for 2 or 3 hours, remove part of it to eat as yogurt, and just let the rest drip longer to use as yogurt cheese. It will be easier for next time, too, if you keep all the liquid in a separate container until the batch is like you want it. Then measure the liquid so you'll know how much to remove before mixing up and cooling your next batch.

Good luck with it!

Janie

Archived