This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brain Fog?

Tummygrumbler

Tummygrumbler Newbie

Hi, I've been recently working on resolving stomach problems I've been having since I was 11 or 12 and my doctor suggested testing for Celiacs. I do not have my tests for another two weeks, but since then I put myself back on gluten to help the results. My fiance told me that lately he's been noticing more of what I call "Spacing out". I usually feel like I have a blank mind, and I tend to stare at one point for a long while. Could this be brain fog associated with celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Sure can. :huh: <---- is that what you feel like? :)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi there,

If you have been gluten free say for a few months then the tests will be negative. You have to eat equivelent of 2 pieces of bread per day for at least 6 weeks or longer to get a positive blood test.

Whether you have full blown celiac or gluten intolerance the brain fog is from the gluten. I call it zoning out. There have been times I have zoned out for a good ten minutes. Not fun at all.

Do you really need a test to figure out no more gluten since your body is already telling you it can't have it? Since i've gone gluten free I haven't zoned out unless I gluten myself

Anyway, I hope you get to feeling better.

Tummygrumbler Newbie

yes for some reason I just feel like blank nothing coming in or out. I've only been gluten free for about 3-4 weeks.. and started monday with eating meals with the rest of my housemates (many of which contain gluten) and trying to eat a sandwich for lunch everyday. I also have stomach pain, anemia and a few other things.

Hi, I've been recently working on resolving stomach problems I've been having since I was 11 or 12 and my doctor suggested testing for Celiacs. I do not have my tests for another two weeks, but since then I put myself back on gluten to help the results. My fiance told me that lately he's been noticing more of what I call "Spacing out". I usually feel like I have a blank mind, and I tend to stare at one point for a long while. Could this be brain fog associated with celiac disease?
haleym Contributor

The fogging out is something I also really experienced when going through some thyroid issues, which tend to run along with gluten intolerances. Maybe have your thyroid checked as well- there may be a connection to thyroid function and gluten intake in sensitive people?

Tummygrumbler Newbie
The fogging out is something I also really experienced when going through some thyroid issues, which tend to run along with gluten intolerances. Maybe have your thyroid checked as well- there may be a connection to thyroid function and gluten intake in sensitive people?

Well I'm wondering if it is thyroid related but because my mom and grandmother both have thyroid disease, but since my stomach problems are so vast I wonder if its possible my mother and grandmothers thyroid problems are related to gluten intolerance.

haleym Contributor
Well I'm wondering if it is thyroid related but because my mom and grandmother both have thyroid disease, but since my stomach problems are so vast I wonder if its possible my mother and grandmothers thyroid problems are related to gluten intolerance.

Yeah, go get it checked. I have Hashimotos and gluten intolerance. I got a lot of the spaciness resolved from taking thyroid replacement, so be sure to check it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived