This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recovering From Endoscopy

beth67

beth67 Rookie

I had an endoscopy done last Tuesday so I ate gluten on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Had bad cramps of course. It is now Thursday and I still feel cruddy. Not so many cramps just dizzy, can't think straight, can't think of words to say. I had been gluten free for two months prior to eating gluten last weekend when I found out I had it in July. My stomach is a little painful from where I'm guessing the biopsy was done. I think it's the after effects of eating the gluten and slowly but surely I'll start to feel better again. Maybe I forgot how bad it used to be on the gluten. If anyone else has had an endoscopy, did your stomach hurt from the biopsy or do you think it was the eating gluten that made your stomach hurt.

Beth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

boysmom Explorer

I hadn't eaten gluten for about 3 months before my biopsy. My doctor assured me he had just done biopsies on 2 women who had been gluten-free for 12 and 18 months and it was still very plain, so since gluten causes me to have esophageal spasms I was willing to take the chance. I was still sore afterward and assumed, as you did, that it was soreness at the biopsy site(s). It took me about 2 weeks to start to feel really good again.

Luanne

Tim-n-VA Contributor

I was mostly symptom free prior to being tested for Celiac so I was eating my normal, gluten-filled diet up to the biopsy. I did not have any internal pain from the biopsy. For a second endoscopy, I did have some minor sore throat which I attribute to irritation from the scope.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi Beth, Try taking some Pepto Bismal Liquid and see if that helps a bit. The pain is likely from damage from eating the gluten. It may take a few more days back on the diet for it to resolve. Do not go back to eating gluten if the biopsies are negative. You may have healed on the diet, I am assuming that you were getting some symptom relief gluten free. Challenges are usually a few weeks not a few days. If you were diagnosed by positive blood work in July your doctor should have told you to keep on gluten until the biopsies were done. If the pain is severe and or you are running a fever give your GI doctor a call to be on the safe side. I hope you feel better soon.

beth67 Rookie

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will call my dr. just to let him know whats going on.

Beth

Archived