MDRB

Tales Of My Stupidity

Rate this topic

I was at the supermarket and I found a new gluten free snack, which was so exciting. I bought a pack and quickly chomped down half before realizing the label on the front said 'guilt free' which I had mistaken for 'gluten free' mostly because they were sitting amongst all the other gluten free snacks in the health food section in the supermarket...they were not gluten free, the first ingredient on the back was 'wheat gluten'... Over a year of being so careful about being STRICTLY gluten free (I never eat out, I only eat fresh fruits and veg and packaged food that is specifically labeled as gluten-free) and I have thrown it all away on a stupid stupid mistake. I made myself throw up so hopefully I won't get too sick. I feel like such an idiot. :(

Depending on your severity you will probably feel some kind of effect but I don't think you undid the whole year of being gluten free over one accident. Whether it is gluten or something else, we all have probably been there, done that and bought the tee shirt. ;)

Hey I glutened myself frequently in the first months so you're way ahead of me. You didn't set yourself back to the beginning. Go forth and read labels!

Don't feel too bad, we've all done things like this, especially while learning. You might feel yucky and have a reaction for a few days, but know that you haven't "undone" everything, and you'll recover. And while you're recovering, be sure to cuddle up in a blanket on the couch and watch some stupid movie - it'll make you feel better!

Packaging is certainly part of the problem... Both my son and I have Celiac. He is five, and I have a pretty busy household with daughters, 3 and 2. I went to a heath food type store where they mostly have the gluten-free stuff in one aisle. I went in to buy some prepackaged items for my boy's kindergarten lunches. I did the same thing! Kind of. I bought at least three boxes of cookie/crackers type munchies, and when I got home and took them out and really looked (thank goodness!) they were organic and wheat free, but not gluten free! Dang! Pricey and full of gluten! It is not easy!!!

Plus... some say gluten free on the packaging, but still are made on equiptment shared with wheat... Huh?