AJSmom

Hello New From Ontario

Rate this topic

Hi all!! I'm wondering if there is anyone here from Ontario...I'm in Sudbury Ontario. We are starting my 3.5 year old son on gluten free this week. I'm finding a ton of information for US products but not very many for Canada.

Please send me in the right direction. My son is a very picky eater, he also has problems with textures.

I think I'm safe for a little while with yogurt, pudding, applesauce, and cheese. I'm hoping he'll start eating eggs...I have never been able to get him to eat eggs.

I'm not a parent, so I won't quite connect with some of those issues. I live in the Toronto area.

Many foods are inherently gluten-free. These include single ingredient items such as milk, butter, fresh fruits and vegetables, and meats.

There are some specialty gluten-free food makers in Canada. Glutino (who also own Gluten Free Pantry) are located in Laval, QC. El Peto is in Cambridge, ON. Kinnikinnick is in Edmonton, AB.

A number of mainstream food makers have a policy that they will clearly disclose any gluten source in their ingredient list by naming the gluten grain in question. They include: Betty Crocker, Campbells, ConAgra, General Mills, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hormel, Jiffy, Knorr, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Oscar Meyer, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, and Unilever. This is not a complete list.

While these brands have the same labeling policy in both countries, ingredients vary, and a product may be gluten-free in one country and not in the other. Campbell's ingredients vary widely. Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is gluten-free in the US, but not in Canada.

You will need to get into the habit of reading labels. Every time. But it can be done.

Thank you very much :D

We are travelling south for Thanksgiving. My inlaws are in the Guelph area. I have been looking online and there are a few really good health food stores in the Guelph area. I think Sick Kids have a store as well, I've never been in it. We will be traveling again in December so we may stop in there.

Small world! I grew up in Guelph :) Try here: http://www.portionscanada.com they have tons of gluten-free products http://www.portionscanada.com/index.php?op...6&Itemid=55

I went to Toronto for College and am currently in Winnipeg, but will be home for Thanksgiving too.

Welcome and good luck :)

Jillian

Thank you very much :D

We are travelling south for Thanksgiving. My inlaws are in the Guelph area. I have been looking online and there are a few really good health food stores in the Guelph area. I think Sick Kids have a store as well, I've never been in it. We will be traveling again in December so we may stop in there.

Awsome..thank you. Do you know anything about the health food store in Orangeville?

Tracy

Sorry, unfortunately I've never been there.

I was diagnosed here in Winnipeg less than three months ago, so I haven't been in Guelph while gluten-free yet :)

Looking forward to my first go at it over Thanksgiving weekend!

*fingers crossed I don't get glutened*

Jillian

Awsome..thank you. Do you know anything about the health food store in Orangeville?

Tracy