lcarter

Differences Between Celiac And Gluten Intolerance

Rate this topic

I have a question about the symptom differences between Gluten Intolerance without villi damage, and Celiac, which is Gluten Intolerance WITH villi damage. Are the symptoms the same for both? For example, do both have intestinal inflammation [swelling] as a symptom? What about some of the more unusual symptoms like peripheral neuro problems, seizures, anemia , or others? I have seen a couple of things on the internet that make me wonder IF there actually are any difference besides the fact that the intestinal villi in one are attacked and not in the other. Perhaps those of you with GI [who have been told that there is no obvious villi damage] can clarify IF there is any real difference between the two types of gluten intolerances.

For Celiac Disease you must have the genetics, and an autoimmune response. It's hard to nail it down sometimes, when the tests aren't conclusive. I don't know about "intestinal inflammation (swelling)", I never saw that listed as a common symptom. While there are differences between Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance, not all people with Gluten Intolerance have Celiac, but all people with Celiac Disease have gluten intolerance.

I have a question about the symptom differences between Gluten Intolerance without villi damage, and Celiac, which is Gluten Intolerance WITH villi damage. Are the symptoms the same for both? For example, do both have intestinal inflammation [swelling] as a symptom? What about some of the more unusual symptoms like peripheral neuro problems, seizures, anemia , or others? I have seen a couple of things on the internet that make me wonder IF there actually are any difference besides the fact that the intestinal villi in one are attacked and not in the other. Perhaps those of you with GI [who have been told that there is no obvious villi damage] can clarify IF there is any real difference between the two types of gluten intolerances.

Imo Celiac and Gluten Intolerance are virtually the exact the same thing. The only difference of course is what you already mentioned, the damage to the small intestine. Each person is different, but in general I would say the symptoms are virtually the same. I believe that both do have intestinal inflammation as a symptom. I tested negative for Celiac numerous times and the my biopsy only showed minor inflammation. I think some of the more unusual symptoms are represented equally in both cases.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to me if I kept consuming gluten, especially since I even tested negative on the gene test.

For Celiac Disease you must have the genetics, and an autoimmune response. It's hard to nail it down sometimes, when the tests aren't conclusive. I don't know about "intestinal inflammation (swelling)", I never saw that listed as a common symptom. While there are differences between Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance, not all people with Gluten Intolerance have Celiac, but all people with Celiac Disease have gluten intolerance.

I believe gluten intolerance also provokes an autoimmune response. The only difference of course is that the inflammation is not focused on the small intestine, but more on the brain and nervous system.