Synthia

Healthy As Possible Hallowwen Treats For School

Rate this topic

my son needs a treat for his halloween party and its supposed to be healthy but still a treat. So i was hoping someone would have an idea and a recipe. i love to cook so i would like it better if i could bake the treat instead of buy it. thanks for any ideas

syn

I used to get plastic disposable gloves-the thin, clear kind that don't have starch in them, and put one candycorn in each finger for the fingernails, then fill with popcorn and secure with a twist tie or ribbon at the wrist. It's my understanding that candycorn isn't gluten-free but maybe you could sub another candy.

Orange gelatin-made with the mix or with knox gelatin and pure orange juice-maybe check the Jello website for ideas

I'm making kiddo individual pumpkin custards-pumpkin pie minus the crust. gluten-free crust is definitely doable though.

Cut apple wedges and serve with a caramel dipping sauce. This next one was a huge sucess for my son's class. "Cheese Fingers" : Take cheese sticks and cut them in half. Take a knive and score in a few places to resemble the knuckles and cut out at the end a little place and put a dab of cream cheese and stick a slice almond on the end to resemble a finger nail. Of course you could inprovise and use a carrot sliver or red pepper piece for the nail too. The kids loved them and was acceptable for a "healthy" treat for school. I have also made spiders out of ritz crackers, stick pretzels, mini chocolate chips and peanut butter. However this was pre celiac days. You could find gluten free substitutes and make as follows: Put peanut butter between two crackers and stick 8 stick pretzels (4 on each side) for spider legs. Dab a little peanut butter on the bottom of the mini chocolate chips and place on top of cracker for eyes. Also I think jello jigglers would be alright too.

Ants on a log- celery with peanut butter and raisins on top. Don't kids still eat that?

Spiders

*1 box Glutino crackers (or your favorite)

*1 tbl (for each spider) peanut butter or nutella spread

*glutino pretzel sticks

*1/4 cup raisins

Take 2 crackers spread pb or nutella and press together. Poke 8 pretzels into the pb to form the legs. Dip the raisins into pb and stick on the top of the crackers for eyes. My daughters love this.

Witches teeth ---

half circle slices of granny smith apples - lying with the straight edge on top (top lip) and the curved edge on bottom (creating a smile)

smear pb or caramel sauce on top half

place 3-4 mini marshmallows on pb to make crooked ugly teeth

(I'd check first --- pb might not be ok due to nut allergies)

This can be time consuming depending on how many kids are in his class but absolutely adorable! I have done it each year for each of my kids and receive lots of compliments....

Take a small orange, cut off its top (save for later), and scoop out its insides and place them into a big bowl. (you can save those insides to make fresh juice or slushies for the family later) Do not scoop too aggressively or you will create holes. When finished, fill with red jell-o, place in the fridge, and allow to set fully. When the jell-o is completely set, use a knife (or x-acto knife) to carve a simple jack-o-lantern face into the orange. Place the top back onto the orange and it looks like you have a small, lit, jack-o-lantern!

It's kid friendly, gluten free, healthier-ish, and always a welcome treat both at halloween time and during the cold season.

:-)

This can be time consuming depending on how many kids are in his class but absolutely adorable! I have done it each year for each of my kids and receive lots of compliments....

Take a small orange, cut off its top (save for later), and scoop out its insides and place them into a big bowl. (you can save those insides to make fresh juice or slushies for the family later) Do not scoop too aggressively or you will create holes. When finished, fill with red jell-o, place in the fridge, and allow to set fully. When the jell-o is completely set, use a knife (or x-acto knife) to carve a simple jack-o-lantern face into the orange. Place the top back onto the orange and it looks like you have a small, lit, jack-o-lantern!

It's kid friendly, gluten free, healthier-ish, and always a welcome treat both at halloween time and during the cold season.

:-)

What a great idea!