This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beginning Basics

nmlove

nmlove Contributor

Hi there, my four year old has been diagnosed with celiacs (he had his biopsy today) and so we're needing to get wrapped around the gluten-free diet. I've read many posts so I hope that will help as we dive into this lifetsyle. However, I have a few questions that I don't feel sure about the answer. Any help would be appreciated, even if I didn't mention it! Thanks!

1. Replacing kitchen things. I have a lot of glassware so that's a good thing but I have a few older plastic/ceramic storage containers (they're obviously worn). Should these go? Nearly all my bakeware is nonstick so I know that needs replaced. My nonstick skillets are getting worn so they need replaced anyway. What about my metal pans? Most look ok. My one big skillet I've never been able to get perfectly clean since day 1. Also my crockpot - which I love! - always has a film on it I can't get rid of. And yes, I know the toaster and the griddle have to go. (As far as the kitchen I plan on going gluten-free with the exception of pre-made gluten foods for those who don't need to be gluten-free.)

2. Any suggestions to replace a few of my son's favorite (and obvious) gluten foods? Mac-n-cheese, pancakes, animal crackers, graham crackers. He loves rice cakes too but I read the Quaker Oats brand is not gluten-free.

3. He goes to a preschool so we have to deal with that too. Luckily food issues are not an every day thing. Birthday kids can bring a goody bag to pass out (to take home before opening) and they have once a month parties starting this month with a cookie goody a parent brings. If anyone has suggestions on how to handle teachers or how to approach, that would be great. I'm sure I'll be all stumbly this first time around. :) But my husband and I have been seriously considering homeschool (not because of the diagnosis) so if we do that, that will resolve this issue!

My mind's a little wired right now. I feel positive I had another question lurking in there but if so, I'll post again. Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mrs. Smith Explorer
Hi there, my four year old has been diagnosed with celiacs (he had his biopsy today) and so we're needing to get wrapped around the gluten-free diet. I've read many posts so I hope that will help as we dive into this lifetsyle. However, I have a few questions that I don't feel sure about the answer. Any help would be appreciated, even if I didn't mention it! Thanks!

1. Replacing kitchen things. I have a lot of glassware so that's a good thing but I have a few older plastic/ceramic storage containers (they're obviously worn). Should these go? Nearly all my bakeware is nonstick so I know that needs replaced. My nonstick skillets are getting worn so they need replaced anyway. What about my metal pans? Most look ok. My one big skillet I've never been able to get perfectly clean since day 1. Also my crockpot - which I love! - always has a film on it I can't get rid of. And yes, I know the toaster and the griddle have to go. (As far as the kitchen I plan on going gluten-free with the exception of pre-made gluten foods for those who don't need to be gluten-free.)

2. Any suggestions to replace a few of my son's favorite (and obvious) gluten foods? Mac-n-cheese, pancakes, animal crackers, graham crackers. He loves rice cakes too but I read the Quaker Oats brand is not gluten-free.

3. He goes to a preschool so we have to deal with that too. Luckily food issues are not an every day thing. Birthday kids can bring a goody bag to pass out (to take home before opening) and they have once a month parties starting this month with a cookie goody a parent brings. If anyone has suggestions on how to handle teachers or how to approach, that would be great. I'm sure I'll be all stumbly this first time around. :) But my husband and I have been seriously considering homeschool (not because of the diagnosis) so if we do that, that will resolve this issue!

My mind's a little wired right now. I feel positive I had another question lurking in there but if so, I'll post again. Thanks so much!

I would replace plastic. I wash stainless pots and pans in dishwasher and have never had a problem. I just use tin foil on cookie sheets and so on...Your son might like Amys rice mac and cheese if he can have dairy. I like the Arrowhead Mills Gluten-Free pancakes the best. Kinnickinnick makes graham crackers and oreo type cookies that are so good. Lundberg rice cakes are Gluten-Free. There are some animal crackers too by midel. I havent tried them. I would have the teacher let you know and bring him his own snack on the side and have the teacher give it to him without incident and then when its your turn just use Betty Crocker Gluten-Free mixes...I promise you the kids will NOT know the difference they are so yummy!! My daughter has a casien allergy she is in 5th grade now and she does great at school. The school must provide her with Rice Milk and has never been a huge issue. I have just taught her (myself having celiac) how to deal. I know this is overwhelming but you can make sure by telling the teachers and stressing how important it is and make sure he knows only to eat what you have packed him. Good Luck Let me know how it goes!! :)

missy'smom Collaborator

Annie's Mac and cheese box mix-make sure it's their gluten-free one, they make non-gluten-free too, also Trader Joes makes a box mix that uses Annie's cheese packet-very affordable

Glutino frozen Mac and cheese

Pamela's pancake mix or the homemade mix recipe from Carol Fenster's gluten-free Quick and Easy cookbook

Take a shoe box, decorate it with stickers, etc. and write "name's" treat box and fill it with shelf stable gluten-free treats(preferably individually wrapped) and give it to the teacher. When someone brings in something unexpectedly kiddo gets to choose from the emergency stash. We put in M+M packets, fruit leathers, applesauce or pudding cups, freeze dried fruit pouches, Enjoy Life makes packets of 2 cookies in snickerdoodle or chocolate chip flavors, Envirokids bars, Ian's makes packets of mini cookies called cookie buttons-just make sure they are the gluten-free ones as I think they also make non-gluten-free stuff, to name a few.

Frances03 Enthusiast
I wouldnt home school as he needs to learn how to navigate the world with this condition.

Whoa! Public school is certainly not the place I would send my child to learn to navigate the world with this condition! Please be careful with comments like these. Homeschooling is awesome, and produces well-rounded intelligent children who are perfectly capable of "navigating the world", and with more than just other kids their exact same age too! I almost take offense at your comment, LOL, I dont get offended like that tho :)

Mrs. Smith Explorer
Whoa! Public school is certainly not the place I would send my child to learn to navigate the world with this condition! Please be careful with comments like these. Homeschooling is awesome, and produces well-rounded intelligent children who are perfectly capable of "navigating the world", and with more than just other kids their exact same age too! I almost take offense at your comment, LOL, I dont get offended like that tho :)

Edited that sentence cuz I want to support eachother not argue. Much appologies.

nmlove Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions. We'll give them a try. And just a comment, we're not considering homeschooling because of the diagnosis. That was already out there way before all this happened. I just think it'll be easier to control the diet if we hs vs the hassle of public school while he's young. But glad you recanted and want to be supportive. Another great reason to stay on this forum (have found lots of help!).

Archived