marynockles

Depression Symptoms

Rate this topic

Hi there,

I don't often turn to the gluten free forum- but it's been a friend in the past! So here goes...

On Saturday I had a friend visit from out of town. We went to a great sushi restaurant and she was so excited to see the tasting menu that we HAD to try it. I skipped the miso soup starter- and had my own gluten-free soy sauce with me- but I know there must have been some fish marinated in soy sauce at some point along the line...

It is now Tuesday night and I have never felt so depressed. My guts are gurgling and I can barely lift my arms. My usual solution is to GET UP and GET OUT to shake off my symptoms- but I can't even do that...

Does anyone else have reactions this late- and so depressing.? I really just can't motivate myself in any way- and I don't want to believe that it's ME; I want to believe that it's the disease.

Has anyone else felt like this...???

Thank you so much for being there.

Mary

(diagnosed celiac from 2007)

Hi there,

I don't often turn to the gluten free forum- but it's been a friend in the past! So here goes...

On Saturday I had a friend visit from out of town. We went to a great sushi restaurant and she was so excited to see the tasting menu that we HAD to try it. I skipped the miso soup starter- and had my own gluten-free soy sauce with me- but I know there must have been some fish marinated in soy sauce at some point along the line...

It is now Tuesday night and I have never felt so depressed. My guts are gurgling and I can barely lift my arms. My usual solution is to GET UP and GET OUT to shake off my symptoms- but I can't even do that...

Does anyone else have reactions this late- and so depressing.? I really just can't motivate myself in any way- and I don't want to believe that it's ME; I want to believe that it's the disease.

Mary

My depression usually shows up a little bit sooner and it shows up hard. In my case the actual 'life is not worth living' part lifts within a day or so but the exhaustion and other stuff last much longer. Your not alone in this reaction. It amazes me sometimes just how much of a neurotoxin gluten can be. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi there,

Mary

The "guts gurgling", "can barely lift my arms" and depression are all symptoms I always got from being glutened. I think it's a safe bet that you were glutened somehow. I'd heard that the longer you're off gluten, the heavier the reaction is if you consume it again, because your body is still building antibodies against it. It's an autoimmune disorder after all.

Just hold out hope for that experimental vaccine that's being worked on in Australia! I believe that we WILL see it released in our lifetime (it's in Phase 1 testing already).

Btw, I have heard that eating digestive enzymes ahead of time helps your body process accidental gluten better, and can prevent symptoms. Just something to keep in mind if you're ever not sure whether to try a new food or eat at a restaurant. Just be aware that supposedly, they may have side effects if your gut hasn't fully healed yet when you try taking them.