KahleFamily

Celiac And Other Foods

Rate this topic

I have been gluten-free for about three and a half weeks now, and while I do feel much better, I seem to have other intollerances as well. I have had an egg intollerance for longer than I have known about the gluten intollerance, I am now discovering that dairy gives me SEVERE reactions, like nasea and diarrhea, and soy seems to bother me as well. Eggs give me headaches and cause the glands on my throat to swell, soy is similar, but less severe.

Are these intollerances common in most celiacs, or should I just call myself wierd and leave it at that (not that I am not weird or anything :D )?

You're not weird. Many of us have multiple intolerances. I have restricted all grains, rice, dairy and coffee. I think it's more common than not.

Yes, while it's not a given that Celiacs will have additional food intolerances (many don't), it's certainly not unusual. I did well on the gluten-free diet for a few months and then began to get sick again. An Allergist/Immunologist suggested an elimination diet and I found that several other foods were causing my symptoms as well as gluten.

I completely cut them out for well over 3 years and while I still can not tolerate legumes, I have been able to successfully add dairy back in.

So, I found another celiac page which talks about the celiac's diet in three stages, the first stage, where you are healing, the second, when you start introducing foods back in to your diet and the third where you are sustaining.

Does this mean you CAN heal some of your food intollerances, if you give yourself time?

So, I found another celiac page which talks about the celiac's diet in three stages, the first stage, where you are healing, the second, when you start introducing foods back in to your diet and the third where you are sustaining.

Does this mean you CAN heal some of your food intollerances, if you give yourself time?

Yes :rolleyes: I am 4 months gluten-free, and some of my intolerances have resolved themselves. Rice is good again, Yay!