amberlynn

New Bread Recipes On A Budget!

Rate this topic

I don't have a stand mixer... yet. I'm supposedly getting one for Christmas. I had to toss my breadmaker cause I got glutened by it and I cannot clean it out properly.

I need bread that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg! If I can get it down to $2/3 per loaf, I'll be happy. What's the best flour to use for this? Right now I've been buying Pamela's gluten-free Bread mix, but at $5.59... Its a hard pill to swallow! We're on a very restricted income, and switching my family to gluten-free is getting hard.

The bread also has to be dairy free, as my oldest son has a severe dairy allergy. We sub with Almond milk currently. My kids and DH LOVE bread, and I don't mind making it... I just need to be able to afford it!

I've also been buying Bob's Redmill All Purpose Flour... Is it cheaper to buy all the different flours separately and make my own mix?? What flours do I need??

Thanks for any help. I love to bake, I'm just not always very successful! LOL!

I don't have a stand mixer... yet. I'm supposedly getting one for Christmas. I had to toss my breadmaker cause I got glutened by it and I cannot clean it out properly.

I need bread that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg! If I can get it down to $2/3 per loaf, I'll be happy. What's the best flour to use for this? Right now I've been buying Pamela's gluten-free Bread mix, but at $5.59... Its a hard pill to swallow! We're on a very restricted income, and switching my family to gluten-free is getting hard.

The bread also has to be dairy free, as my oldest son has a severe dairy allergy. We sub with Almond milk currently. My kids and DH LOVE bread, and I don't mind making it... I just need to be able to afford it!

I've also been buying Bob's Redmill All Purpose Flour... Is it cheaper to buy all the different flours separately and make my own mix?? What flours do I need??

Thanks for any help. I love to bake, I'm just not always very successful! LOL!

Oh and my stand mixer consists of two hands, 10 fingers and some elbow grease :)

My mom was buying all the different flours and the last time I went with her to the whole foods, I had one small basket of stuff and her's was full of flours...spending LOADS on all of it. Bobs Red Mill sells a flour blend for a certain price and you don't get that much. Bob's is expensive. Then they have a scoopable thing where you scoop out how much you want and it was cheaper per lb! And it was Bobs Red Mill!!! She ended up putting back all the different flours and bought bob's red mill scoopable kind. I suppose since it was bought in bulk they're able to sell it cheaper per lb versus the prepackaged bag.

I use a brand called schzar...I believe that's how it's spelled. It's a european brand that I'd become very fond of. It always rises and tastes SOOOO good. Also their pasta's are more firm and don't get mushy. I don't remember prices, but tomorrow I'll be visiting. The store is called The AppleCrate. I wonder if they'll ship things. I'll try to remember to note prices.

Oh and I have a stand mixer. It's 10 fingers, two hands and some elbow grease :) rofl

I find it more economical to keep many types of flours in stock...its expensive at first but in the long run it really pays...

I keep: Brown Rice Flour, White Rice Flour, Tapioca Flour, Sorghum Flour, Cornstarch, Potato Starch, Xanthan Gum, Powdered Milk..or substitute always in stock because I love to bake. The initial investment is the worst hit to the budget, but if you have a large family it is so money saving to do so especially if you do all your families baking....BUT if you decide to go for a Flour Blend you might try Jules Flour Blend. I calculated that pound per pound, if bought with free shipping does end up costing less than other flour blends...I was buying Namaste Perfect Flour Blend which was $9.49 for only 2 pounds of flour! It is worth a shot to try...it looks expensive at first but again it is more a long term savings.

Jules Flour

But if you do decide to go for the multi flour route....then I strongly recommend the book Easy Gluten Free Baking by Elizabeth Barbone...Her recipes are VERY economical and easy. She even has a graham cracker recipe!

Her Sandwich Bread Recipes are fantastic...I sort of tweaked one of her recipes and made a multigrain loaf that my

gluten loving husband even eats! If you have difficulty baking bread drop me a message... :)

Gluten Free Multi Grain Bread (picture below)

(Note you need a large stand up mixer for this recipe)

DRY INGREDIENTS

2 Cups Brown Rice Flour

Oh...and I just toasted it for the first time this morning...OMG it was marvelous...just like gluten bread...

I think I have something here... :P

Thank you!

I actually bought a stand mixer while at work today - I got a fantastic deal on one that was clearanced (it was the display model), and its in perfect condition. I cannot wait to start making bread! I will definitely try that recipe once I get my flours in ;).

Thank you!

I actually bought a stand mixer while at work today - I got a fantastic deal on one that was clearanced (it was the display model), and its in perfect condition. I cannot wait to start making bread! I will definitely try that recipe once I get my flours in ;).

Great! Good to hear you found a great mixer....Take your time while learning to bake gluten-free...I made lots of FLOPS at first! But save your flops and make bread crumbs from them....

Don't get discouraged just keep at it...and remember it is the long term savings, in the end.

The more you practice the better you will become...and don't give up!

MAKE YOUR OWN gluten-free BREAD CRUMBS

Note: It might help to dry out your bread slices first for a few days gluten-free bread seems to take a long time to dry out for some reason

Place stale bread slices in the oven, set at 225

If you have an asian market or regular grocery in a neighborhood that caters to internationals living in the area, you may be able to get a good deal on rice flour, tapioca flour/starch and potato starch. They cost just cents per bag. I have to check the tapioca carefully as the Korean market here sells one that is coarser ground than the other, making one suitable for our baking and the other not. The flours and starches I get come from Thailand, Japan and Korea. They also sell sweet rice flour, but I don't use that.

If you have an asian market or regular grocery in a neighborhood that caters to internationals living in the area, you may be able to get a good deal on rice flour, tapioca flour/starch and potato starch. They cost just cents per bag. I have to check the tapioca carefully as the Korean market here sells one that is coarser ground than the other, making one suitable for our baking and the other not. The flours and starches I get come from Thailand, Japan and Korea. They also sell sweet rice flour, but I don't use that.

Great Idea! I will have to look into that! Anything to save $$$$ Grocery Shopping can get VERY pricey!

That would be cool, but alas, I live in the middle of nowhere! It's an hour and a half to the nearest Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. We have ONE health food store, and the prices are, well, high. I get most of my stuff at the local HyVee, and they're pretty good (I don't think the prices are outrageous). I think there is a mexican grocery store?? But I've never been there, and I'm not sure where it is! They might carry cheaper corn flour though... at least its an idea! Thanks ;).

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post any website names, but I order my break mix (the Pamela's bread mix) through Amazon and get the subscription to it so it comes automatically once a month. It brings the price down significantly (down to around $3.75 a bag). I have 3 children and we all eat gluten free so we go through a lot of bread!

Good luck!