Wolicki

Ridiculous Weight Gain!

Rate this topic

Hi all. I am wondering if any of you experienced huge weight gains after gluten-free? I was terribly malnourished at dx, so I knew I would gain a lot of weight, but this is ridiculous! I eat aobut 1600 calories per day: no grains (except for rice cakes), starches, legumes and very little dairy. Mostly lean protein, veg and 1 - 2 servings of fruit. I do daily weight training< and 30 minutes of cardio almost every day. I started Levoxyl a month ago because mt TSH was 5.05. I know the dose is too low at 75 mcg, but I dont think that fully explains how I've almost doubled mt weight in 4 months. :(:(:(:o

Anyone know when gains from malnutrtion stop? Thanks so much.

Hi all. I am wondering if any of you experienced huge weight gains after gluten-free? I was terribly malnourished at dx, so I knew I would gain a lot of weight, but this is ridiculous! I eat aobut 1600 calories per day: no grains (except for rice cakes), starches, legumes and very little dairy. Mostly lean protein, veg and 1 - 2 servings of fruit. I do daily weight training< and 30 minutes of cardio almost every day. I started Levoxyl a month ago because mt TSH was 5.05. I know the dose is too low at 75 mcg, but I dont think that fully explains how I've almost doubled mt weight in 4 months. :(:(:(:o

I did gain weight initially after going gluten-free, about 8lbs., but adding strength training an cardio and eating "clean", I have lost weight. Perhaps its your thyroid messing you up.

If it is your thyroid what thyroid tests did you have done? You should have a TSH, T3, T4, Free T3/T4 (these are more reliable), and thyroid antibody tests. I started feeling the best when my current endocrinologist started supplementing me with cytomel (T3) in addition to my levothyroxine (T4). Any time my meds need adjusted she keeps me on the same dosage of T3 and adjusts the T4. It has worked for me so far. There could be other reasons for the weight gain so I would discuss it with the doctor.

I had by free T3 and T4 and TSH checked. T3 and 4 were in the normal ranges, but I think one of them was low normal. The antibodies were all in the normal range. My endo is horrible. He grudgingly wrote a scrip for Levoxyl 75 mcg, which according to the package insert is an adequate for someone who weighs 75 pounds :angry: He insited there was nothing wrong, even tho my TSH was 5.05. I think he got pissy with me when he originally wrote for Synthroid, and I told him it could not be guranteed gluten-free. Then he said if I stopped eating so much I would stop gaining weight :angry::angry::angry: This was after I told him about my calorie intake (which I track religiously and never exceed 1700 ) and exercise habits.

I need to find a new doctor but I really would rather have someone poke me in the eyes with sharp sticks then to see another doctor who blows me off :(

I had by free T3 and T4 and TSH checked. T3 and 4 were in the normal ranges, but I think one of them was low normal. The antibodies were all in the normal range. My endo is horrible. He grudgingly wrote a scrip for Levoxyl 75 mcg, which according to the package insert is an adequate for someone who weighs 75 pounds :angry: He insited there was nothing wrong, even tho my TSH was 5.05. I think he got pissy with me when he originally wrote for Synthroid, and I told him it could not be guranteed gluten-free. Then he said if I stopped eating so much I would stop gaining weight :angry::angry::angry: This was after I told him about my calorie intake (which I track religiously and never exceed 1700 ) and exercise habits.

I need to find a new doctor but I really would rather have someone poke me in the eyes with sharp sticks then to see another doctor who blows me off :(

Please don't take this as gospel, but I do belive that the free T3 and T4 should be in the upper third of the range also TSH upper normal range should be around 3. A good endocrinologist should know that there is a tighter range of "normal" on the TSH. My free T3/T4 stay at the upper end of normal if not slightly above. My endocrinologist is great. My after my first appt. with her a couple of years ago she treated me by symptoms. TSH was only slightly elevated (going by new range), any other dr. would have called it normal, and my T3/T4 were low normal. The cytomel made a big difference with my symptoms, but I was undiagnosed celiac at the time also so I kept having fatigue etc which lead to getting tested for celiac eventually. Based on your labs I do believe you to be hypothyroid. Have you had your labs retested since you started the levoxyl? You should be rechecked in about 6 weeks. Since your body has to convert the T4 to the active T3 it usually takes appx 4-6 weeks to see a response in the TSH.

Yes... 11lbs in 2 months. I think it was partially because before I learned to bake I was eating a lot of pre-made gluten free foods, like bread and stuff, until I started eating more naturally gluten free (like rice, potatoes, etc). But if your body has not been able to get nutrients... whoa watch out! Now that you are healing your gut, you can now take in all those nutrients. A lot of my weight gain has been muscle- but also Ive got a little more padding as well. Chances are that it is a healthy weight gain though- you work out and eat right, so its all good.

But yes, get the thyroid thing further taken care of, because that can mess up metabolism and stuff.

I have definitely gained weight since going gluten free. Moreso the past few months, but I am just now feeling really good and my doctor says it will level off and I may even lose a little once my body has healed.

I am switching doctors because my Endo is a jerk. He wants me to come back in December, but hasn't ordered any more labs, because he doesn't believe my thyroid is an issue. 3 different doctors have said I AM hypo, but want the Endo to treat it, and he thinks I am full of beans. Doctors....grrrrr