This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

My Elimination Diet

Swimmr

Swimmr Contributor

Ok, so I was back on my diet for two days after finishing the antibiotics.

These stupid meds have REALLY screwed with me in more ways than one. If I can ever avoid taking them ever again, that would be great.

Today is an exception and probably the next few days. I will moderate what I eat today and prevent stuffing myself, but it's the only time of year I can actually have really good food. And pie. I LOVE pie. My mom is making EVERYthing gluten free. Last year she did as well and was very successful with it. This year is going to be even better, I know. Since she also has a soy intolerance, her stuff is going to be extra ok :) I am thankful to have a mother who is suffering as I am. That sounds horrible, but otherwise I don't know that she would be so careful.

She called me late last night saying, "OMG crisco has soy in it!!!" She then explained how she now understands her accidental glutenings and not being able to pinpoint. Its when she made baked goodies and used crisco. She said it's a good thing none of her recipes called for crisco this time because she wouldn't have thought to look at the ingredients first. :o yikes.

I have had C for the last two days. (Not this morning though) I had to buy some yogurt to try and counteract the effects of the antibiotics...without going into detail, I believe someone can figure it out. I bought stoneybrook organic yogurt, the plain kind. I added my Inulin (prebiotic that was advised I also take) and honey to sweeten it. I had some mushrooms the night before last, so it's one of the following:

1. The yogurt

2. The mushrooms

3. I'm pregnant (God, I hope not)

4. Residual effects of the antibio's

Is chicken liver ok to have? I crave it every once in a while. I pan-fried some in olive oil last night. I take a multivitamin, so I didn't think I could be low on iron. I know iron drops a bit when females have their cycles, but mine hasn't come yet and was told that when you crave certain things that are high in some vitamins that you could be low on it at that time. My mom is the same way, sometimes she craved liver. It's so strange.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swimmr Contributor

So last night was awesome. The entire dinner was gluten-free besides two apple pies that were made for my mom's husband. She made those last and kept it VERY clean...I looked around behind her to make sure nothing that would get to my mouth somehow was either covered in the dust or even romotely near. She was good to keep things that way.

When my aunt from VA got there, she freaked when she found out the stuffing was gluten free. She had tasted a little and said, "This is gluten free, huh?" My mom said, "I don't know, is it?" Aunt said, "It must be...I was seeing if I could taste the difference..."

LOL

She is one of those people who kinda don't think there needs to be hype over going gluten free and when I looked at her and said, "I will get sick if I eat wheat or gluten..." She looked at me and her expression changed and said, "Really?" I said "yes" and she then said she was never going to pick on gluten free again. See my aunts seem more like my sisters. Both of my mom's sisters are in their 30's. I'm almost 30. They were the ones who kept my uncle from picking on me...they were my protectors :D They love me so much and now she knows that I will get sick, it's changed her mind about it, haha.

Anyways.

I had cornbread stuffing, black eyed peas, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy (drippings from turkey thickened with cornstarch), and a deviled egg which was made from canola mayonnaise. For dessert was a piece of my mom's lemon meringue pie and pumpkin pie. I wasn't TOO stuffed, but I was certainly full. She made so much pie! I wanted to try the banana cream pie, but I had no room.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

GFinDC Veteran

Sounds like a great TG Swimmr. Too much pie eh? What can you do with those darn mom's always making too much pie? :o You'd think they'd learn after a few decades. Silly willies! :D

Probiotics sound like a good idea after the antibiotics regime. Maybe some extra fiber too like some psyilium or flax meal. I think the antibiotics can do quite a number on the good gut baceria. I have heard the that about cravings for certain foods and deficiencies. Seems to make sense. So, did you have a big lemon meringue pie deficiency going on or what? :) My mom used to make great lemon meringue pies, and butterscotch too. They really should have been illegal they were so good.

I had a good TG, just did some Betty Crocker gluten-free brownies and some bacon and sunflower seeds. Was getting over some garbanzo beans that didn't like me real well. Doing a turkey breast tonight though and maybe some cornbread.

Happy Thanksgiving to all too!

Internal-Disaster Rookie
Sounds like a great TG Swimmr. Too much pie eh? What can you do with those darn mom's always making too much pie? :o You'd think they'd learn after a few decades. Silly willies! :D

Probiotics sound like a good idea after the antibiotics regime. Maybe some extra fiber too like some psyilium or flax meal. I think the antibiotics can do quite a number on the good gut baceria. I have heard the that about cravings for certain foods and deficiencies. Seems to make sense. So, did you have a big lemon meringue pie deficiency going on or what? :) My mom used to make great lemon meringue pies, and butterscotch too. They really should have been illegal they were so good.

I had a good TG, just did some Betty Crocker gluten-free brownies and some bacon and sunflower seeds. Was getting over some garbanzo beans that didn't like me real well. Doing a turkey breast tonight though and maybe some cornbread.

Happy Thanksgiving to all too!

Hey there,

I was trying to follow all your posts on the topic of Elimination Diets.Are you going to try again to follow that elimination diet the person on your post talks about?

I am interested to see how it works out because I to cant seem to find what really works to find out what foods I truly have an issue with.If there even are any others! Im sure there is though

GFinDC Veteran

I think you mean Swimmrr? Swimmr has been doing the elim diet for a while now. I have done them also and they really helped me with finding problem foods.

Swimmr Contributor
Hey there,

I was trying to follow all your posts on the topic of Elimination Diets.Are you going to try again to follow that elimination diet the person on your post talks about?

I am interested to see how it works out because I to cant seem to find what really works to find out what foods I truly have an issue with.If there even are any others! Im sure there is though

I am also assuming you mean ME.

I've been on it since November 4th. I broke it for Thanksgiving and had NO issues what-so-ever. It is working very well for me :)

Internal-Disaster Rookie
I am also assuming you mean ME.

I've been on it since November 4th. I broke it for Thanksgiving and had NO issues what-so-ever. It is working very well for me :)

yes I do mean you.....I am just new to this forum and still dont quite got the total drift of it all!

So yes it has been going well 4u? even though you had all the issues with the ear, antibiotics, and Thanksgiving ( eating all kinds of foods probably)? when u said its working u mean u have found problem foods and u feel better?

I was about to have an appt with an Integrative Dr that I dont have money for but I am desperate for help and I was going to tell him I want that Elisa IGG delayed food sensitivity test. It is exspensive I heard and not for sure if it is really reliable but have heard it was from a book I read by a DR James Wilson :Adrenal Fatigue.

but if there really is a way to find out on your own without ripping your hair out I would like to try again......if its truly for real. I have 2 kids a husband and half the time they cant tolerate me with my irritability as it is I wouldnt want to exasperate it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Swimmr Contributor
yes I do mean you.....I am just new to this forum and still dont quite got the total drift of it all!

So yes it has been going well 4u? even though you had all the issues with the ear, antibiotics, and Thanksgiving ( eating all kinds of foods probably)? when u said its working u mean u have found problem foods and u feel better?

I was about to have an appt with an Integrative Dr that I dont have money for but I am desperate for help and I was going to tell him I want that Elisa IGG delayed food sensitivity test. It is exspensive I heard and not for sure if it is really reliable but have heard it was from a book I read by a DR James Wilson :Adrenal Fatigue.

but if there really is a way to find out on your own without ripping your hair out I would like to try again......if its truly for real. I have 2 kids a husband and half the time they cant tolerate me with my irritability as it is I wouldnt want to exasperate it

Well I was well on my way...I had begun eating chicken, bananas, rice, potato, and carrots. Then I had to start antibiotics, so no new foods were introduced. My appetite was nearly nothing. Then after Thanksgiving I resumed eating just those foods. Now I'm back on antibiotics...again. Sorry to anyone who has been following my diet, but I ended up with ear pain (which never subsided after the last round of antibiotics), a UTI, and a bronchial infection...which almost became bronchitis.

So, I've not logged anything...I've not added anything. I am miserable at this point and tired of antibiotics.

I did however make some chicken salad consisting of boiled chicken, hard boiled eggs, celery, and used Hellman's Canola mayonnaise. I had NO issues what-so-ever.

So I'll resume when I finish the meds. I'm sick as crap right now. I have 4 more days on the 'biotics.

GFinDC Veteran

Well heck, we don't want no sick people around here! Geez Louise! LOL I hope you are feeling better Swimmr. Prolly take a while post antibiotics to get straightened up again. Did your doc recommend a probiotic for you to take along with the antibiotics? Seems to me they should always do that when prescribing antibiotics. Or at least for after the antibiotics are done. I don't know why more doctors don't do what I think is right instead of what they think is right. Oh well. Real head-scratcher that. :-)

Swimmr Contributor
Well heck, we don't want no sick people around here! Geez Louise! LOL I hope you are feeling better Swimmr. Prolly take a while post antibiotics to get straightened up again. Did your doc recommend a probiotic for you to take along with the antibiotics? Seems to me they should always do that when prescribing antibiotics. Or at least for after the antibiotics are done. I don't know why more doctors don't do what I think is right instead of what they think is right. Oh well. Real head-scratcher that. :-)

I'm so much better now...throat is still just a tad scratchy. Lots of loose phlegm, but that is good. I've finished my 'biotics and back on the diet. Just chicken, rice, eggs, banana, and potato for a few more days. I won't be adding anything else though.

I took a bite of my husband's omelette this morning after making it...I did it without thinking about it. It had melted american cheese on top. I've had some gas this afternoon. My fault, I know. After I swallowed I thought, "Oh crap, are you serious?"

I, myself had two eggs and homestyle potatoes.

Lunch I had chicken seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper (as always) and some plain white jasmine rice.

Tonight will be the same.

I did make some cider. I used pure apple juice (Simply Apple) and mulling spice bouquet which is all natural/pure. I had one mug full. I was really craving it and wanted something nice and warm in my belly.

This coming weekend I will be leaving for Missouri for two weeks. I will pretty much be on the same diet...everything simple and plain...not sure what to take with me on the plane since I can't have food from home. Perhaps if I let them know I'm severely allergic to anything they'll make an exception. Who knows. I gotta eat something. We've got two different flights to get there, with an hour wait at the next airport.

Any ideas?

missy'smom Collaborator

Are you thinking just meals enroute? I haven't flown in a few years but last time I just brought my pre-cooked meals in containers and they never even blinked. Just made sure to avoid liquids. One was a frozen meal that thawed enroute so I didn't pack ice or the like. What about a potato fritatta and banana for a meal and fried rice using the egg and chicken for another.

I've been reading your thread with interest as I am doing an elimination diet at the moment. Different from yours but with enough restrictions to challenge me.

Swimmr Contributor
Are you thinking just meals enroute? I haven't flown in a few years but last time I just brought my pre-cooked meals in containers and they never even blinked. Just made sure to avoid liquids. One was a frozen meal that thawed enroute so I didn't pack ice or the like. What about a potato fritatta and banana for a meal and fried rice using the egg and chicken for another.

I've been reading your thread with interest as I am doing an elimination diet at the moment. Different from yours but with enough restrictions to challenge me.

Oh awesome, I'm glad I have a follower :) How are you doing your diet? I'm interested. The chicken salad I made wasn't supposed to be eaten because of the mayonnaise, but it wasn't much and I ended up not having any problems from it. I'm still sticking with chicken, potato, banana, and rice...I might bring carrots back in for variety. I got so tired of them before and had sub'd it with broccoli. Now I'm tired of that too, lol. I've been on the diet for over a month now. Seems a lot longer though.

I didn't anticipate getting sick and having antibiotics thrown into the mix x 2. It's been quite upsetting.

I suppose I could attempt to bring some pre-cooked meals. I would have never thought that the airline security would be cool with that. They have been more lenient on the liquid issue. I just figured since you can't bring anything on the plane that was purchased and been opened already. Only non-opened things purchased in the terminal. I guess I could always call to make sure first. I would hate to cause a scene, you know us celiac's and our tempers when it comes to food, lol.

LOL I caused a bit of a fuss over a bottle of perfume and bag of makeup once that passed through inspection in NC, but when I got to Atlanta and went through the terminal crap there, the guy wanted to keep it. All he kept were my tweezers after about 15 minutes of arguing.

missy'smom Collaborator

When I flew it was about 3 years ago and I had my meals in my carry on for eating enroute. They didn't even blink but I was the one they chose to inspect because I was traveling international with a stash of packaged foods in my checked baggage-pasta, pancake mix etc. They let me keep everything and didn't hassel me though.

Oh awesome, I'm glad I have a follower :) How are you doing your diet?

I was tested for food allergies and have eliminated all those I reacted to-26 out of over 80. With diabetes already there are many foods and groups of foods that I don't eat-fruits and grains to name 2 and some veg. that are more carby. Many things on the list of foods that I was tested for that are OK from an immune standpoint are out because of their impact on blood sugar. Can't stand eggs so I generally avoid them. Although, I haven't been able to find proof of an intolerance yet. I've always known I had problems with diary and now I tested pos. so that's also out. Couldn't start the elimination diet from square one being diabetic now but as I said, a fair number of restrictions plus I am underwight so have to balance not only the diet itself but blood sugar and weight when I plan my meals.

So far, the eliminations have been eye opening. Here are my results so far https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...mp;#entry580810

This week starts week 3 of my 4 weeks without. I am told I can re-introduce every 3 days but I may take 1 each week with most of them. Will take longer but I feel my system really needs the break and want to give myself a good long time to check some foods-some I wasn't suprized and had felt uncomfortable with, although I didn't realize why, others I didn't notice so want time to see how my body responds. I plan to reintroduce the seemingly more innocent ones first.

Swimmr Contributor

Alright, well that is a good thing. I plan to bring my bob's red mill baking mix so my husband's mother can incorporate that into some of the baking. The closest whole food's store is about 40 minutes away from where we will be staying. A drive, but worth it. While I will be eating some stuff not on my diet, I will be keeping it simple and not over doing it. I think all I will make is either a pumpkin pie or a pumpkin loaf and just munching on that throughout my stay. Oh and I have some of those boom choco boom bars to satisfy my craving when the time comes for it while everyone else gets to eat all the good stuff.

I haven't done a DNA test yet. They drew blood for regular allergy testing and was supposed to get a rast (sp?) test done, but I think they forgot. DNA testing is next. My husband deploys soon and he wants to try to make a baby during R&R. I want to get us both tested before we try.

It sucks that you have so many limitations, but I guess in the long run it's good that you know so you live a more healthier life.

I (was) adding a food every three days. I started out though on chicken and carrots for 7 full days before adding anything. I saw immediate results. Then the first set of antibiotics gave me C and drastically reduced my appetite to nearly nothing. Had C with this last set too, but now on my way to getting it back to normal. I started the antibiotics on November 14th, was fine for about a week, then around Dec 1 started the next set.

On a good note, I am down to my target weight 138 lbs...from 156. Yay.

Oh and to answer your question, GFinDC, yes I've been staying steady with the probiotics since day one of the diet. I was instructed to take them for at least 3 months. Doc said to stay on them too.

missy'smom Collaborator
It sucks that you have so many limitations, but I guess in the long run it's good that you know so you live a more healthier life.

You know, at this point I feel much the same about it as when I went gluten-free. I felt like crap for 10 years and thought my life would just suck forever so I was just happy and very greatful to feel better. Forgive my language. What I miss most now is the same thing that I did with gluten-free-the convienence, not the foods really-most of the time. The foods I eat now, don't always taste great but the'yre not awful either and my body feels at peace with them so I don't really think about the flavor as much. I eat to live. That's not to say the I don't find things that are yummy! and of course we always have choices, I could choose to eat some of the things that I don't-like rice but there is an unwanted conseqence. I would rather live without and feel good.

I am curious about this re-introduction. I guess I'll just embrace the process and see where it leads us. I wonder how we'll react when we re-introduce, if it will be clear or not whether to keep the food in or leave it out. Esp. with kiddo-he's doing this too-but with only 10 foods. I asked him if he feels any differently and he said no. We both had alot of gas sometime in the first week but I read that's common as the balance in the gut/intestinal tract shifts.

DNA testing may be in my future as well, I'm waiting for insurance approval-I don't need it for me so much but doc. wants me to take one for the team to aid him in getting a better picture of kiddo's situation.

Thanks for letting me jump in on your thread. Our situations are a little different but it's nice to talk with someone who is is on a similar path.

missy'smom Collaborator

Did anyone notice their sense of smell or taste change? The past week all of a sudden everything tastes and smells unappealing to me-at first it was almost like when I was pregnant-I opened the fridge door and noticed a heightened sense of smell-especially meats-yuck! Maybe my fridge needs a cleaning! But seriously, I don't think so and I know for sure I'm not pregnant! Maybe it's unrelated to the dietary changes. I had a grape the other day after not having any in nearly a year and it tasted moldy. It wasn't. It was very clean and fresh, but I know produce at the stores is around mold alot. I was looking forward to the grape but it was a real let down and I had rinsed it even.

Swimmr Contributor
Did anyone notice their sense of smell or taste change? The past week all of a sudden everything tastes and smells unappealing to me-at first it was almost like when I was pregnant-I opened the fridge door and noticed a heightened sense of smell-especially meats-yuck! Maybe my fridge needs a cleaning! But seriously, I don't think so and I know for sure I'm not pregnant! Maybe it's unrelated to the dietary changes. I had a grape the other day after not having any in nearly a year and it tasted moldy. It wasn't. It was very clean and fresh, but I know produce at the stores is around mold alot. I was looking forward to the grape but it was a real let down and I had rinsed it even.

Yeah I have noticed a change in smell as well...much stronger :) Which is good.

You're welcome...I'm always up for advice and other's experiences.

UPDATE:

I'm currently out of state in Missouri. I'm starving right now, lol. I had some of my MIL's home-made dirty rice last night for dinner. Jimmy Dean sausage (spicy), chicken gizzards...liver, heart...etc, and then regular white rice. She added no salt, no broth.

It did NOT agree with me (I found out this morning). Bowel movement was not pleasant.

I made my home-made chicken salad and kept it on ice and some banana's to eat during the 20 hour drive. My mom made some oatmeal cookies with raisins and craisins in them...they were yummy. No problems with them either.

Right now just kinda sticking to the simple things...nothing too complicated.

I'll be back in touch :)

• 3 weeks later...
Swimmr Contributor

Ok I know, I know...I haven't updated since the last post.

Things are ok. Just have a lot going on.

I badly sprained my thumb.

Another ear infection.

Sinus infection.

and something other things I'm not at liberty to discuss...not because I can't, I just won't.

Also got into a minor car accident the night before last. Like I said, it's minor.

My food intake has still been simple. I bought some new Neutrogena mineral foundation (powder) and I loved it until I looked at the ingredients. There is soy in it. I had been getting strange break outs on my face and for the life of me didn't know why. I think it's from the new powder. The sores are going away now (I think it was DH) and after they are gone I will try it again. I also had incorporated cheese into my diet. I seem to be handling it well except some white cheddar I ate that the husband bought in missouri.

I haven't tried to drink milk yet. I know the organic stuff that my husband likes really bothers me, so I'll probably just try some regular store brand whole milk when it comes time.

I had incorporated green/yellow/red peppers into my diet. I was fine with those, however not raw. They have to be cooked, as well as onions. I get the burps if I don't cook them first. Pete's mom made some Chili...very simply made-kidney beans, hamburger, chili powder, onions and Del Monte stewed tomatoes (canned)-no salt added. She bought some non-iodized salt for me too. I handled that fine.

The last two nights I tried my own spagetti sauce. Problems I think. I had C yesterday morning and this morning it was loose and had blood on it (not on ALL of it though)...and that was from yesterday's irritation from the C I think. It was bright red, signifying it was fresh blood, nothing deep or that had been sitting or coming from higher up in the digestive tract. I think it's the tomato sauce and paste...probably. I didn't have problems with MIL's chili, and the only thing different were the italian spices in the spagetti along with the tomato paste/sauce.

So that is it folks. I'll continue to add things as I go along and update here. I've lost a total of 20 lbs though. It wasn't my goal, but I guess it was ok. My husband isn't happy about it though. He's commented that I'm too small and I have no butt (when in fact both of those statements are false). He just got used to me being thick...not overweight by any means. I had a ghetto booty and some thickness...around size 7/8, approximately 155lbs. I'm 5'8". Now I'm 136, size 4.

Here is my list of tolerated foods so far:

Eggs

Chicken

Rice

Banana

Potato (white and sweet)

Tomato

Bell Pepper (all colors)

Celery

Asparagus

Broccoli

Carrots

Mushroom

Peanut Butter

Oatmeal

Hamburger

Kidney beans

Corn (whole and in chips)

Cheddar/Colby Jack (Kraft)

Condiments (so far):

Butter (land o lakes no salt added)

No salt added heinz ketchup

Helman's Canola Mayonnaise

Flax seed/oil

Spices/Seasonings (so far):

Non iodized salt

Pepper

garlic (Mrs Dash's no salt added garlic & herb seasoning)

rosemary

sage

THE NO-NO LIST:

American sliced cheeses

Cayenne (in any form)

My homemade spagetti sauce (must be a spice or the tomato sauce)

Mrs Dash's Caribbean Citrus seasoning. I got BAD indigestion from it.

We ended up driving to Missouri...all our flights were cancelled, so no bother about what to take on the plane :) The drive back was horrible with all the snow!

GFinDC Veteran

Hi-ya Swimmr,

Still at eh? That's good. I eliminated mayo from my diet a few weeks ago. Darn stuff almost always has soy in it. I am sleeping better since then. There is a Hellman's chlolesterol free version that is soy free, but all their other kind's have soy oil. Even the olive oil and canola oil versions have soy.

I made some peanut butter cookies tonight that are real good. Added some cinnamon, some ginger, some shredded coconut and mashed a banana in too.

Oatmeal is ok for you huh? I used to love the oatmeal but it quit luv'in me back. Tomaters I still think I can eat, just haven't been willing to try them for months is all. Some day I will try them again. Anyhow, welcome back!

• 2 weeks later...
Swimmr Contributor

Ok...a LOT has gone one.

Seems I can't stay out of the doctor's office. The last I reported I'd sprained my finger, ear and sinus infection, and a car accident. Well because of the ear infection I developed what is called Labrynthitis...it's a viral infection of the inner ear causing symptoms similar to vertigo. I had someone pick me up from work last monday right after lunch. I'd been dizzy all morning and it was getting worse, to the point that things I was looking at were looking like they were moving. Reading was impossible as was staring at the monitor for hours on end...just wasn't getting better. I went home and relaxed. The next day I was able to get in to see the doctor. She did a quick test on me where she held my head and and laid me down all in one motion. She was looking for specific things like if my symptoms decreased after the quick motion (which they did) and looked to see if my eyes jerked back and forth, which she said would signify it being something going on in my brain...that was NOT something she noticed. Good thing.

So I came to my own conclusion that some of my panic attacks were triggered in the past by my dizzy spells that lasted days on end...which would explain the "other" symptoms that always seemed inconsistent with my other attacks. Fullness in ears and needing to plug my nose and blow, the inset of extreme dizziness and then the lasting residual dizziness. Since the onset OF panic attacks I've become more able to control them, but ONLY if they start out with dizziness. It always seemed I was on the "verge" for several days and sometimes able to fight off the attack. To summarize, my panic attack would come because the dizziness would trigger a nervousness and whamo, a panic attack would follow.

I feel much more at ease now that I know that my other symptoms were NOT unexplained...I just didn't know what was wrong.

The doctor said these effects can last up to two weeks, but after one week I should be able to resume and maintain normal daily activity. My dizziness has tapered off and I'm not constantly dizzy.

With that said, I've reintroduced milk into my diet. It's Horizon Organic whole milk. I used to have extremely foul gas after drinking it...now...I do not. I've also reintroduced cool whip and cocoa. I tolerate both :) I am assuming this is from the use of the probiotics. YAY! I've been having hot cocoa at night with cool whip on top and it is SO nice being able to enjoy this again. I was so scared to add dairy back in.

I had to start on a few new meds and some of the symptoms include upset stomach...which would explain the loose stools almost similar to D. Oh well...its a necessary evil I guess.

I started on an allergy/sinus medication...Allegra...which I hear from a lot of people that it's great. I ended up with a sinus infection the other day...which I assume came from the ear infection...however...the difference is it has NOT moved to my chest!!! I am SO ecstatic that I'm not getting bronchitis again! Every time I get a sinus infection, within 48 hrs it's a full blown respiratory infection! The Allegra is working :)

So that is it guys...my diet doesn't consist of anything more than the list I created in the last post.

GFinDC...for your information, Hellman's Canola (cholesterol free) doesn't have soy in it. Ingredients are: water, canola oil, vinegar, modified corn starch, whole eggs, sugar, salt, lemon juice, xanthan gum, Vitamin E, phosphoric acid, citric acid, paprika, beta carotene. What brand mayo have you tried? And please tell me if the Hellman's has a hidden evil soy ingredient...

I reacted to that makeup that has soy in it. I've reacted to things that include soy...but have not reacted to Hellman's Mayo...not even the LEAST.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Swiummr,

You certainly are having an interesting start to the year! That makes sense that an ear problem could cause nervousness or panicky feelings. I find feeling off balance very unsettling myself. I read something not long a ago where they said there are little grains in the inner ear that help somehow with motion detection/balance. They were saying if those little grains move around freely they can cause dizzyness. I don't remember what they called the condition but they said it was easy to treat.

I agree, the Hellman's Canola oil Cholestrol free is soy free. I haven't been using any mayo lately myself, switched to mustard. The local stores I've shopped so far don't carry that version of Hellman's mayo. I'll be looking in more stores though.

That sounds good that you can eat dairy now but were having problems with it in the past. Seems like something positive is happening in your healing process.

• 1 month later...
Swimmr Contributor

Guys I am SO sorry...well, for anyone who cares anyways, lol!

Since the last post things have been going well. I've been able to maintain my weight and was doing good until about 4 weeks ago. We had an ice storm and I decided to venture out two days later since the roads were nice and melted...however my front porch steps were NOT. I ended up slipping and fell...I injured my ankle pretty badly. I was convinced I had broke it. Not broke, but lots of tissue/ligament/tendon damage that is affecting the nerves too. Been out of commission for a bit, but now able to finally walk around with no issues. I still have to be very careful doing quick turning movements or going up and down stairs. I was on crutches for two weeks.

So good news is I'm still doing ok with diet. I've pretty much added everything back in that is tolerated. Peas I haven't yet...too wary. I do believe though the meds I'm on has given me C and I'm probably going to have to go to the doc to get a lower GI done...I've done something because there is blood in my stool. Well, it's not IN it, it's ON it...and I know from where it's coming from, I just want to get an "ok" that I'm ok and no diverticulitis or something similar...or polyps or fissures...the like. Ugh. My husband had one done and it was very unpleasant for him.

My gluten free store is now carrying Udi's!!!!!!1!!1 OMG! I am SO very happy. Before the holidays I had told the manager about it and she said she would definitely look into it. They had at that time started carrying Gillians...anyone ever heard of that brand? I wanna know if it's good. I haven't been able to see her since November and the other day I walked in and I found her and started talking about Udis...she stopped me and said, "We have it!" I hugged her I was so excited! So last night I ate a chicken salad sandwich. Stomach wasn't really prepared for it, but had no issues that would be of concern...no gas, no foul smelly stuff...no bloating or cramps. I'm so very happy I don't have to make an hour and a half drive to go get Udi's bread from the Whole Foods!

I now recommend it to ANYone. It's awesome tasting bread guys!

GFinDC that's a shame you can't get Hellman's canola mayo near you! You should request it.

Oh and my husband was deployed from Haiti and expecting him back now within the next few weeks :)

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Swimmr,

Welcome back! Good to see you back in action again. I was wondering where you had wandered

off to! Hubby will probably have some interesting tales to tell from Haiti.

Those porch steps are tricky things in the winter. I imagine going down steps is a little slower these days? I know when I broke my arm a few years back I was not real quick going stairs at first. Going slow just seemed like a better idea. They can be awful tricky with ice on them.

So heading in for a colonoscopy? Sounds like a good idea. There are several threads here about Movi-prep and getting ready for them.

I did find the soy free Mayo at a local store, one I hadn't been to for a while. So that was nice. I haven't found Udi's bread, but people sure seem to like it.

Swimmr Contributor

Hi Swimmr,

Welcome back! Good to see you back in action again. I was wondering where you had wandered

off to! Hubby will probably have some interesting tales to tell from Haiti.

Those porch steps are tricky things in the winter. I imagine going down steps is a little slower these days? I know when I broke my arm a few years back I was not real quick going stairs at first. Going slow just seemed like a better idea. They can be awful tricky with ice on them.

So heading in for a colonoscopy? Sounds like a good idea. There are several threads here about Movi-prep and getting ready for them.

I did find the soy free Mayo at a local store, one I hadn't been to for a while. So that was nice. I haven't found Udi's bread, but people sure seem to like it.

I was pitiful for the first three days when I couldn't put ANY weight on it what-so-ever. I would make dinner and have to stand in the kitchen to eat it because there was no way for me to operate the crutches and carry a plate of food at the same time...I tried with coffee and spilled it, so I said forget trying. LOL I scooted down the steps on my rear and crawled up them on my knees and going from the bathroom to my bedroom or to the closet I resorted to crawling on my hands and knees.

Oh, you have to get ahold of the Udi's bread. Months ago it seemed like it would never be a reality without driving a long distance and eventually it came to me instead :) It's well worth $5 a loaf...to those who eat regular bread, it's ridiculous...but to us who can't eat regular bread...it's totally cool to fork it out.

On a totally unrelated note, I have a doctor's appointment on Friday to get a check up on my issue down there...will know then if a colonoscopy is needed. I hope not. They probably will, but...I'm hoping not. I dread it.

Ground up flax seed is an awesome laxative by the way if anyone needs a good one...I ground up about 1 tablespoon worth and mixed it in about one cup of apple juice and literally downed it like a shot. The texture isn't very appealing.

I've been on probiotics/candida balancer now since November 4th...should I continue?

GFinDC Veteran

Well, I had to smile at the idea of you scooting up down the steps. :-) You do what you gotta do though!

Flax seed meal is pretty good stuff. I usually put a little flax seed meal or psyillium husks in my food, or both sometimes. Sometimes I make muffins from the Betty Crocker yellow cake mix and add flax seed meal. And a banana, and some peanut butter etc, etc. Sometimes I add an avocado for green muffins.

I see the Udi's bread has potato starch in it. I haven't tried potatoes in a while so not sure it would work for me. I have been making flat bread in a pan some lately and that is nice to have for a change. I had an old container of oatmeal and decided to use it for pancakes for the birds to eat instead of throwing it out. I tried giving them plain uncooked oats but they didn't like them much. But they like it fine in pancakes!

The probiotics sound like a good idea. I can't say I know anything about candida balancer though. Maybe someone else does.

Archived