kcwoman

Coping With Surgery/hospitalization

Rate this topic

I am newly diagnosed (about a month) and have just found out that I am going to have to have some surgery done (unrelated to celiac) in December. I am quite concerned about the hospitalization, especially the eating part during recovery. Does anyone have suggestions for how to best handle preparing for this?

thanks,

Lin

I am newly diagnosed (about a month) and have just found out that I am going to have to have some surgery done (unrelated to celiac) in December. I am quite concerned about the hospitalization, especially the eating part during recovery. Does anyone have suggestions for how to best handle preparing for this?

thanks,

Lin

Here is some information that may help:

http://www.gluten.net/downloads/print/Hosp...Made%20Safe.pdf

Others can offer some personal experience.

If you are asking on how to prepare for recovery at home here are a few suggestions. Just making & freezing gluten free meals now so all one needs to do is reheat them. Bake or buy some frozen items ie:Amy's mac & cheese, Kettle Cusine has very good soups, Joan's gluten-free great bakes has excellent bagles, eng. muffins & pan pizzas. Conte's has individual 10 oz meals that are very good plus other items.

If you do the leg work now & prepare you can recover & not get stressed out about meals. Think of everything you want to eat & either buy or make it now....

Good luck

mamaw

If you are asking on how to prepare for recovery at home here are a few suggestions. Just making & freezing gluten free meals now so all one needs to do is reheat them. Bake or buy some frozen items ie:Amy's mac & cheese, Kettle Cusine has very good soups, Joan's gluten-free great bakes has excellent bagles, eng. muffins & pan pizzas. Conte's has individual 10 oz meals that are very good plus other items.

If you do the leg work now & prepare you can recover & not get stressed out about meals. Think of everything you want to eat & either buy or make it now....

Good luck

mamaw

Thanks you for the recommendations. I was mostly concerned with in hospital, but only because I hadn't gotten around to worrying about post hospital! This gives me a place to start.

I just had my baby two months ago, and was pretty worried about the hospital stay, too. But, I had the information Lisa referenced. Unfortunately, I didn't get to use it, as my daughter came a little early...

But, they made a note in my file that I had celiac, which translated to the kitchen : Gluten Allergy. At any rate, they knew what I could eat and what I couldn't. And I tried to order something and modify it (without tortillas), and the lady told me the computer wouldn't allow her to even assign it to my room. Hospitals are catching up, but it's a really good idea to talk to them before you are admitted. There should be a dietician on staff who can work with you and the kitchen staff.