AlexJ72

Looking For gluten-free Spices

Rate this topic

Anyone know which brand name spices are free of gluten? McCormick has 2 categories..the gourmet line and the regular red capped spices...are they all safe and free from cross contamination?

I used to buy spices in bulk at my local farmers market and they were dirt cheap, but I just dont know if they are safe

Anyone know which brand name spices are free of gluten? McCormick has 2 categories..the gourmet line and the regular red capped spices...are they all safe and free from cross contamination?

I used to buy spices in bulk at my local farmers market and they were dirt cheap, but I just dont know if they are safe

They will disclose any gluten in them. I don't know which ones do contain gluten (if any) but if it does not list it, they are gluten-free.

I've never had any problem with any of the McCormicks or the bulk spices from some of our markets here in Hawaii. These are all common spices though. Hard to say for some of the exotics unless you know your vendor and source.

good luck

I've never had any problem with any of the McCormicks or the bulk spices from some of our markets here in Hawaii. These are all common spices though. Hard to say for some of the exotics unless you know your vendor and source.

good luck

All Penzi's spices are gluten-free except for 4-5 out of the thousands they carry. We buy from there all the time and they were very helpful in avoidng the few we could not have.

You have to be careful and read the ingredients. Most bottled spices contain a wheat derived substance to keep the spice from sticking or clumping int he bottle. Check out your gluten free book guides at a book store or Barnes and Nobel. That's how I learned there is wheat in spices. The wheat is under a different name of course, so the bottle isn't going to tell you if it's "Gluten free". Also learned of this in the gluten free grocery guide.