positivenrgfairy

"i Feel Fat"

Rate this topic

Hey everyone. so I have a lot of varying symptoms, but one of them that seems to flare up fastest is this bloated feeling I have, especially in my stomach. When I look in the mirror, I actually look about 10 pounds heavier and my clothes fit tighter.

I had an eating disorder for a long time as a result of this feeling combined with emotional problems that I now believe to be gluten related.

since going gluten free I no longer have an active eating disorder, and I took thinner, although I have not lost any weight.

I have a feeling that I keep getting glutened bc this symptom of feeling fat keeps returning. it is usually preceding other signs like heartburn and diarrhea, but not always. It almost always accompanies some deal of emotional stress.

Is this a sign of celiac or something anyone else has experienced? or is this a psychological issue I have? (I do recognize that I could be experiencing body dismorphia).

Has anyone had this experience?

-Lars

When I get glutened my stomach bloats out. My belly bloats so much it does seem like I am wearing pants that are a size too small.

It is my first warning sign that I am going to be very ill, and need a bathroom quick! :rolleyes:

Yes, the bloat is often the first sign for me (I feel like I look 5 months pregnant and clothes are tighter. I have always been thin and don't like this feeling, admittedly.) It is then accompanied by many other lovely symptoms: left side pain, alternating constipation/diahrrea, left hip pain, cracked lips, joint pain tra la la....

I was anorexic at 17 and was very ill for 2 years with an eating disorder and I understand body image issues. I don't know your age but if you feel you are still struggling with that it may be good to check in with your doctor who could advise.

Be well!

lisa

I am 27. I remember having this feeling as early as the 8th grade, and my anorexia and bulimia was at its worst from the ages of 17-20. I have since gotten healthy with only a few episodes which have gone completely away since going gluten-free.

any advice on how to deal with this terrible feeling?

I'm glad someone else has dealt with this; it has been a problem for 15 years.

was I celiac this whole time and didn't know?

I have the same issue. It's gotten much better since going gluten free but the once or twice I've noticed it again I just changed into pajamas so I didn't feel it as much. Never figured out how to make it go away.

How long have you been gluten free and have you been "officially" diagnosed (bloodwork and/or biopsy)? There is a long learning to curve to ridding our lives of all gluten and if you are super-sensitive you may need more investigative work. A food log is helpful. Is this your only symptom now and what were your symptoms prior to going gluten free? (Maybe you already wrote that; I'll go back and look.)

lisa

How long have you been gluten free and have you been "officially" diagnosed (bloodwork and/or biopsy)? There is a long learning to curve to ridding our lives of all gluten and if you are super-sensitive you may need more investigative work. A food log is helpful. Is this your only symptom now and what were your symptoms prior to going gluten free? (Maybe you already wrote that; I'll go back and look.)

lisa

I have not been officially diagnosed, but have done enough 'food tests' both accidental and intentional to know gluten is my problem. wehtehr it is celiac or a gluten intolerance I'm not actually 100% sure.

symptoms after ingesting:

skin rash

abnormal periods

heartburn

hemrrhoids

diarrhea

vomiting (with a large dose)

bloating

depression

confusion

fatigue

stomach cramping

several of these symptoms have been around for years (like constant heartburn I've had for 10 years) and have gone away with a gluten-free diet.

they (along with bloating, the topic starter) resurface to some degree after ingesting even small amounts.

I have been trying gluten-free for about 6 weeks, and keep getting Xcontaminated. :(

Keep reading here. There's lots of useful info re: cc and other sensitivities. many of us needed to be off dairy as well when first gluten free while we healed. Also, you may be intolerant to other things as well. Commonly, soy, corn, nightshades and sometimes legumes may bother us. I was free of all these things for two years before slowing reintroducing some of them. A food log is essential! It really can help rat out culprits.

AND, many of us are HIGHLY sensitive which for me means: all whole foods made from scratch by me and mine, a gluten free house, very little if any processed food, no eating out and bringing my food everywhere I go.

good health,

lisa