ElvisLives

Are Allergy Shots Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

I am relatively new here, so please excuse (or direct) me if this has been covered before, but:

is the serum in shots for seasonal allergies gluten free?

Thanks for any help!

I am relatively new here, so please excuse (or direct) me if this has been covered before, but:

is the serum in shots for seasonal allergies gluten free?

Thanks for any help!

According to what I understand, gluten should not be an issue in injections, for those with Celiac.

According to what I understand, gluten should not be an issue in injections, for those with Celiac.

From my understanding, gluten is not an issue because gluten isn't necessary or involved in the manufacture of vaccines, shots, etc. If they did contain even slight amts of gluten, there would certainly be issues for celiacs.

I know of a couple physicians who (finally) found their celiac patient/s requiring blood transfusions were progressively getting much worse due to blood from donors who eat gluten. I don't know if there's a paper written about this yet... ;)

From my understanding, gluten is not an issue because gluten isn't necessary or involved in the manufacture of vaccines, shots, etc. If they did contain even slight amts of gluten, there would certainly be issues for celiacs.

I know of a couple physicians who (finally) found their celiac patient/s requiring blood transfusions were progressively getting much worse due to blood from donors who eat gluten. I don't know if there's a paper written about this yet... ;)

I am guessing you are joking from your winky icon!

To the original poster......injections are not an issue whatsoever for a celiac, unless you are receiving an injection in your mouth, from a dentist who uses a medication or numbing agent which does contain gluten and it happens to spill into your mouth. However, I have never found anything injectable which does contain gluten because it is generally used as a thickening agent.....not so good in an injectable med.

Rule of thumb....it has to get into your GI tract, via your mouth or nose, or far less likely but still plausible......eye drops which may trickle down your throat. I have yet to see anything which goes into your eye that contains gluten either. I have Sjogren's Syndrome and use a boatload of eye drops.....no problems to report.

I also took allergy shots for 12 years, both pre- and post diagnosis and they never hindered my recovery because they were injected under the skin. No connection to the gut. You are safe!

I am guessing you are joking from your winky icon!

Actually dead serious about that. I worked in Immunology, Molecular Biology and other R&D for pharmaceutical companies. Gluten in your blood stream (from a blood infusion or otherwise) will set off an immune response, and can wreak havok for celiacs. This is not a blind guess. :)

• Upvote 1

Actually dead serious about that. I worked in Immunology, Molecular Biology and other R&D for pharmaceutical companies. Gluten in your blood stream (from a blood infusion or otherwise) will set off an immune response, and can wreak havok for celiacs. This is not a blind guess. :)

What he said.