Rate this topic

So I fixed some Bobs Red Mill gluten-free Brownies and it said on the package as an option to add chocolate chips. I checked around and it looked like Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips were okay so I added about 1/4 cup. I added a little cream cheese on top (yum...these were great) but within a few minutes I had the same stomach issues going on that I had before I went gluten-free. Any ideas? Were the chocolate chips a bad idea? I'm getting a little overwhelmed with what I can and can't eat...lol...I'm almost becoming afraid to eat! Any help would be appreciate~ thanks all! This site has become a real lifesaver!!!

Sounds more like it could have been the cream cheese. If you are new to a gluten free diet you should lay off the dairy and soy products so your intestines can heal.

Have you used the Brownie mix before with no issues? I say this because I don't tolerate BRM mixes. It is not that they have gluten but that I don't tolerate the sorghum flour that many of them contain.

Have you used the Brownie mix before with no issues? I say this because I don't tolerate BRM mixes. It is not that they have gluten but that I don't tolerate the sorghum flour that many of them contain.

Bob's Red Mill actually doesn't agree with me either! Except with me it makes my mouth burn, so I figure I'm allergic to something in it. I've used the bread mix and all purpose mix and both do it. Perhaps its the sorghum? I thought it might be the fava bean flour. I don't think I've ever eaten fava beans so I have no idea. I bought the pancake mix, which doesn't have fava bean flour so if I do ok with that then I know! Haven't made them yet though.

We haven't had a problem with BRM brownies...they just come out a bit too fudgy/chewy/not-cakelike. We don't like cake-like either, which we found Betty Crocker to be.

So yesterday I combined one package of BRM and one package of Betty Crocker added some extra chocolate chips -- came out just right.

I made some BRM and threw in some Nestles ChocoChips and didn't have a problem but everybody is different. I would not of been able to do the cream cheese and like someone else said it could of been something else in the mix.