tiredofbeingsickandtired

Herbal Essences & Fritos- Double Knockout

Rate this topic

So here I am feeling like a fool. I'm itching all over with a lovely DH rash. Lots clumps of hair, though so far no one can figure out where those clumps are coming from. And I hurt from head to toe, feel like someone's kicked me in my kidneys, no real strength in my hands & arms and I feel like my legs have weights attached. There is bloating plus other issues that I won't go into detail here, but they seal the case on the fact that this is a gluten reaction. I could'nt leave my house for 4 hours yeaterday morning because of these other problems. I was in my bathroom so long I'd counted the tiles on my floor and redecorated it in my mind at least 10 times.

My daughter has been very sick with the flu, so 3 times this week I've been so busy and starving that I ran into the store for a bag of fritos. I know silly and stupid, but seriously one day this week, I was so busy with her I only had time to eat fritos, salad, fruit cup, and bits of chicken I'd roasted and chopped up the day before.

I checked labels on Monday +looked online through my phone and decided to use my herbal essences coupons, was pretty quickly shown as having something that made me whep out in dh rash on every part of my body the shampoo, conditioner & mousse touched.

First day of fritos, noticed a little bloating, 2nd day notcied everything else but the lack of sleep didn't register the fact that it must be the fritos. I was wondering about the Amy's soup I tasted as I was cooking it for my daughter. But I'd never reacted to Amy's soups before.

Well when I was running Thursday gluten knee reared its ugly head. For me its unmistakeable. Yesterday I had 5+ miles of dogwalking and I felt like my arms & legs were marshmallows the whole time. I am in ALOT of pain, could sleep for 3 days straight too.

So the only thing I can think of is the fritos. I ate glutino crackers with hormel pepperoni on Thurs, some atheno's hummus, and some fruit...but I've eaten those before without feeling like this.

Usually if I come into contact with gluten its pretty immediate, but this felt like it was building up and blew up yesterday morning. This is the closest I've felt to my prediagnosed life. I have to say I am so thankful God got me through those years, but after having sweet gluten free freedom I am hit pretty hard that I was so stupid to let a bag of corn chips do this to me.

So enough of the venting and whining, I have to come up with a quick food survival plan for next time. I have found that roasted chicken chopped and stored, salad, fruit, are all pretty quick grabs..any other ideas? No soy, no dairy, no sunflower anything

but the very odd thing about this, I ALWAYS gain weight when glutened, this week I lost 5 pounds.

Your concusion that it was the fritos scared me because I eat fritos as well as alot of other corn chips. I searched frito-lays website and found out that fritos are in fact gluten free. Mabye it was something else? Hope you feel better.

ok I didn't see the last part. So you think it was the dairy or sunflower oil that made you feel ill?

sorry I wasn't clear, I'm sure there was no soy, so dairy, or sunflower (which just makes my throat swell and break out in hives)

From what I've read the problem with Fritos and some people having gluten reactions is that theres a chance of being contaminated. So some batches could've been made after something with gluten in it.

From the Raleigh Celkids netowrk (I'm in Raleigh, NC)-

You can see their entire listing here:

http://www.fritolay.com/your-health/for-sp...tary-needs.html

On this site, they do a good job listing all the various special dietary needs, including foods without gluten. As many products, they do indicate that while some snacks do not contain gluten, they are not made on dedicated lines, increasing the chance of cross-contamination. In fact, the only gluten free snack on a dedicated line are their Lay

I had a bad fritos reaction last week. The pain woke me in the middle of the night and had me doubled over. 2 hours of pain and diarrhea, sweating, nausea, and nearly fainting. I haven't had a reaction like that in a long time. That type of reaction for me points to dairy more so than gluten. I went over everything I ate in the past 4 days and the fritos were the only culprit. I suspect a CC issue with either dairy or gluten. No more fritos for me!

I'm sure everyone already knows this, but just in case. Plain Fritos do not contain any gluten ingredients, but some varieties do. I think Chili Fritos have wheat in the seasoning. Others may contain dairy. I eat plain Fritos, Cheetos, Lay's & Ruffles, and Tostidos on a daily basis and have never had a problem. But I stay clear of the flavored, heavily seasoned varieties.

As with any food products, it's absolutely critical to carefully read the ingredients label.

best regards, lm