Hillary

Blood Test Results, What Do You Think

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

Thank you for this wonderful forum. I have been reading many of your posts and they are very informative. I had my blood work done and the resuts are:

GLIADIN ANTIBODY IgA 26 <20 is normal

GLIADIN ANTIBODY IgG 6 <20 is normal

TRANSGLUTAMINASE IGa 2 <20 is normal

The doc says that this is borderline. I was off gluten for 5 days before the test was taken. Any opinions on this result would be welcome. I have been off gluten for 3 weeks now and almost feel worse. Although my bm's are becoming more normal, I never really had diarhea. I am also on thyroid meds and my TSH is 3.86

I feel nauseous and have bad tingling and numbness especially at night. Also, the muscle twitches are driving my crazy. I also have a feeling like I am shaking on the inside.

The doc says if I want a diagnosis that I have to go back to gluten and do the biopsey. I don't think that I want to.

Thank you for any input..

Looks positive to me. Have your B12 checked for the tingling, and iron for the jumpy legs. Make sure they check Ferritin levels. Most of us have these deficiencies.

I second the getting more blood work for nutritional deficiencies. When I was being diagnosed we ran

B12, D, K, Iron, Ferritin, Copper and Zinc - all were low and all have risen consistently since going gluten-free. I get tested every three months now and celiac doc says we can stop when I'm in strong normal range. Personally I like having something concrete to show the diet is working as I've have great improvement with digestive issues, but no improvement with some other symptoms.

Since your bloodwork indicates possible Celiac Disease, I would stay gluten-free for some time to see if you improve.

Blood + positive reaction to gluten-free should be enough to diagnose and/or enough for you to know you need to be gluten-free.

Good Luck to you!

-Lisa

Thank you. My doc doesn't want to test me for vit/min def. I am seeing an endo next week and I think a lot of the symptoms are due to the thyroid as well. I don't think I have been absorbing my thyroid meds.

I found that I had to INSIST that my doc check my vitamin levels. I wouldn't take no for an answer. Scream and Yell if you need to. You're the only one looking out for you, and it is supposed to be standard procedure to check Celiacs for these deficiencies.

Thank you. My doc doesn't want to test me for vit/min def. I am seeing an endo next week and I think a lot of the symptoms are due to the thyroid as well. I don't think I have been absorbing my thyroid meds.

If you're not absorbing your meds, you certainly aren't absorbing the proper nutrition. Get the tests. The dr works for you, he can run simple vitamin checks.

Luckily my celiac doctor was the one to start all the nutrient testing during diagnosis - and I've got to tell you the subsequent tests have brought me a great deal of comfort and confidence in the diagnosis when I wasn't experiencing much physical improvement. I would say my husband is one of the most supportive celiac spouse's and even he had doubts of the diagnosis when I wasn't improving -- the bloodwork comforted him as well.

Everyone is right -- If your doctor won't run simple vitamin tests -- find a new doctor -- they work for you -- took me too many years and far too much illness to push my primary to find out what was wrong.

So many of us go undiagnosed until our 40s and 50s -- wish someone had told me years ago to listen to my body and push for answers rather than accepting doctors telling me nothing was wrong because it wasn't showing up on the tests they had ordered.

Good Luck to you.

-Lisa