This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This A Symptom For Celiacs?

Susy13

Susy13 Newbie

Hey! I'm new :)

Anyway so I've been having stomach problems for like 3 years or so, and I recently had some blood tests that indicated i may have celiac.

I have a lot of other symptoms but one sort of throws me off and that is my major symptom...stomachaches. Ok, they're really bad. And I know all celiacs will have these, however when I lie down just about all the pain will go away. I just have to lie still for about 3 minutes and I will feel fine. However as soon as I stand or sit up the pain will start again. It also seems to be aggravated when I laugh a lot, play the trumpet or yell a lot (I'm a gymnastics coach=lots of yelling-not in an angry way though!). So my doc is a tad confused because that sort of sounds like a muscle issue.

However my other symptoms are:

pain in my left chest

cystic acne

missed periods

tiredness

gas

which if I'm not mistaken still sounds like Celiac. Any thoughts? have any of you ever had stomachaches like mine?

I'm going in for an endoscopy in early Jan...so I guess I'll know for sure then, right now I'm eating a ton of wheat bread. :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Swimmr Contributor

pain in my left chest

cystic acne

missed periods

tiredness

gas

which if I'm not mistaken still sounds like Celiac. Any thoughts? have any of you ever had stomachaches like mine?

To answer your question, yes, I did! I had BAD cystic acne that started when I was 24/25. It wasn't like all over the place, but I'd get like three on my face and were so painful. I had DH on my back, all over the place (and had no idea at the time). I had all kinds of stomach ailments that I no longer experience...ever...now that I am gluten/wheat/some allergen free. I experienced all those symptoms plus some.

You might still want to check with your doc to make sure you don't have a hiatal hernia...which is usually in the diaphragm or other abdominal hernia. Yelling and mess would certainly agitate it.

I would get (what I think to be) indigestion and my stomach would noticeably swell...then burping and passing gas (with no smell) would come after. Eventually it would go down. I had to curl up in a ball to feel somewhat comfortable.

luvs2eat Collaborator

If there's one thing I've learned here... it's that if you put 100 celiac in a room you'll have 100 different sets of symptoms!

Diva1 Enthusiast
Hey! I'm new :)

Anyway so I've been having stomach problems for like 3 years or so, and I recently had some blood tests that indicated i may have celiac.

I have a lot of other symptoms but one sort of throws me off and that is my major symptom...stomachaches. Ok, they're really bad. And I know all celiacs will have these, however when I lie down just about all the pain will go away. I just have to lie still for about 3 minutes and I will feel fine. However as soon as I stand or sit up the pain will start again. It also seems to be aggravated when I laugh a lot, play the trumpet or yell a lot (I'm a gymnastics coach=lots of yelling-not in an angry way though!). So my doc is a tad confused because that sort of sounds like a muscle issue.

pain in my left chest

cystic acne

missed periods

tiredness

gas

I'm going in for an endoscopy in early Jan...so I guess I'll know for sure then, right now I'm eating a ton of wheat bread. :huh:

Exactly my symptoms...I keep saying when i sit i get lots of epigastric pain gowing up my esophagus giving me chest pains....when i lay down bingo it get better....Last week had GI and dicovered a hiatus hernia so that probably the culpit.....

DIva

elye Community Regular

Welcome, Susy!

You've said that you had blood work done which suggests you may have celiac disease. If you had the entire celiac blood panel run, and you got a positive, you almost certainly have the illness. False negatives are common -- false positives very rarely happen; if interpreted properly, I would suggest never.

The range of symptoms and their severity with celiac/gluten intolerance are mind-boggling. This is why it is still such a tricky disease to diagnose. I had no symptoms when I got my diagnosis, with the exception of low iron. It really is a miracle that I was diagnosed at all. Couple this with the cases of people who have debilitating symptoms for years before they get diagnosed, and you have to shake your head at the complexity of this illness.

This is agreat place for information and support. You've come to the right place! :)

Susy13 Newbie

Wow thank you all for your replys! You are right I did come to the right place :)

Swimmr, did your cystic acne go away when you went gluten free then? Did you have indentations as well? Because mine have actually gone down a tad but I still have deep pits where they are, and it looks so bad.

And I will definitely look up the hiatus hernia, thank you for that advice.

Archived