canadave

Can I Use A Highly-cleaned Pot For gluten-free Pasta?

Rate this topic

Hi,

As a celiac, I of course have dedicated pots and pans and colander to prepare my gluten-free foods at home, since I live with a non-gluten-free wife.

In the past, on our 10-day driving trips to visit my parents, who are not celiac, I've always brought my dedicated gluten-free pots and pans and such along with me to cook with. However, carrying all this gear up and down flights of stairs and such is a pain.

My question is: if I cleaned and scrubbed my parents' pasta pot VERY WELL (spotless) before using it, and used it and my own colander to prepare my gluten-free pasta, would it be safe?

As for pans, well, I guess that's harder, because pans tend to have things more "caked on" than steel pots. I don't know that I'd feel safe trying to scrub one of my parents' pans clean and use it for gluten-free foods. But I'm wondering whether I could just use one of the pans if I line it with aluminum foil or something, and use it safely?

I've never tried this, so I just don't know how well it would work "in practice." I would rather be safe than sorry, but on the other hand it'd be nice to not have to lug everything but the kitchen sink with me on trips. Any thoughts?

It shouldn't be a problem with the pasta pot unless it is non-stick. I have used mine for both gluten and gluten-free. I have also used foil on old cookie sheets with no problem, so in my opinion, lining a pan should be fine.

I agree--as long as the pot is metal you should be able to clean it just fine.