anonymical7

Lump Of Wheat For Christmas: Celiac Symptoms Worsening

Rate this topic

Hi All, its been a while since I wrote. I self diagnosed my problem and have been enjoying a gradually better and better life now that I now what was hurting me. It was a miracle. But Like most celiacs I have been surpised and on recent travels deeply frustrated at attitudes at some restraunts and even friends. Granted they dont know much better, and we have to be our own police.

I am writing mainly however because as of yesterday and a week ago in NY I was accidentally glutened and the reactions were like a bomb going off in me. The first time, caramalized sugar turned out to be a process caramel syrup and yesterday a processed parmesean cheese with some filler. Anyhow both times it was like a nuclear gluten cloud. First I felt pain spread through my chest, then it was as if I felt even pain going through the whole system. This then turned into instant exhaustian and immediate need for sleep, and finally dizzy and unsafe out of focus clouds of confusion.

My god, before when I was unaware of being celiac and eating it regularly it seemed bad but not this violent. Is the immune system just freaking out since i have been avoiding it so long? Also I have started having freaky twitching sessions all through my face and jaw and eye area afterwards. Thats just odd and a bit embarrasing...

Anyhow, I am here laid out like I ran a marathon but the exhaustion is something else.

Last point is that while in NY and Philly i went to many restaurants. Two I asked if they could make the food gluten free. Both said yes but then said, " A little is okay isn't it?" So frustrating this attitude and being un-aware.

A

A,

I also found out the hard way that the reactions become much more violent after being gluten free for some time. I think of it like this: If you are slowly ingesting poison, you may not notice it as much as if you ingesting a whole big bunch at once. Your body gets used to not being poisoned by gluten, and then when you get some- WHAM! your body goes on full alert trying to fight it off.

When I first started on the diet, I used a shared toaster, had some soy sauce, etc. I've been very strict for about 5 months and got glutened twice in 4 days and Wowweee, was it bad.

Be extra diligent, drink lots of water and load up on probiotics. I hope you feel better soon!

Janie

Unfortunately - or fortunately I guess depending on your point of view - :) yes, that is very common. The reactions often will get more severe and rapid. However some people say that after a while (couple years) the intensity may subside somewhat.

Thanks guys for your feedback, i guess its live and learn. :blink:

Have a good holiday! A

Ha, I just posted basically the same question. My husband had such a bad reaction and I wondered if they get worse once you are gluten free. I now know they do. Wow, now to work on making my household gluten free...ah...:P

CC

Yeah, my wife has been going through everything and trying to catch the hidden ones. Now I am pondering whether I should invest in gluten free stock somewhere... Schar? ;)

Ha, I just posted basically the same question. My husband had such a bad reaction and I wondered if they get worse once you are gluten free. I now know they do. Wow, now to work on making my household gluten free...ah...:P

CC