debbief

Feeling Ill And Looking For Advice

Rate this topic

I have celiac and have been gluten-free for several years. However, in the last week I have been feeling ill and am trying to find the source! The only thing "new" I have been eating is toasted gluten-free bread (finally found a gluten-free bakery that makes a fantastic bread) and using Starbucks sugar-free vanilla syrup in my coffee. Because I have not eaten bread in the past, I do not have a dedicated gluten-free toaster so my kids also use it to toast their non- gluten free bread. Could this be what is causing me to become ill? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have celiac and have been gluten-free for several years. However, in the last week I have been feeling ill and am trying to find the source! The only thing "new" I have been eating is toasted gluten-free bread (finally found a gluten-free bakery that makes a fantastic bread) and using Starbucks sugar-free vanilla syrup in my coffee. Because I have not eaten bread in the past, I do not have a dedicated gluten-free toaster so my kids also use it to toast their non- gluten free bread. Could this be what is causing me to become ill? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I think you will find a pretty unanimous yes to that question. One of the first pieces of advice to newbies here is to get a dedicated toaster because you will got cross-contamination from gluten crumbs in a shared toaster. Looks like a new toaster is on your horizon :D

It would also be easy to test out . . . just toast your bread under the broiler and see if you notice an improvement.

I think you will find a pretty unanimous yes to that question. One of the first pieces of advice to newbies here is to get a dedicated toaster because you will got cross-contamination from gluten crumbs in a shared toaster. Looks like a new toaster is on your horizon :D

Thanks for the reply! Yep...I'm out the door to buy a separate toaster. It's the only thing I can think of causing the problems. I'm miserable...in addition to the GI issues I've also got horribly itchy hives. Thanks again!

*Y*E*S*

;) Get yourself a little cheap toaster and hide it in a cabinet (like I do) so no one else will use it. Those little gluten buggers will definitely get you in the other one.

So, do you know about checking for hidden gluten in your toothpaste, face wash, shampoo, vitamins, prescriptions etc. ? That stuff is everywhere. Good Luck :)

*Y*E*S*

;) Get yourself a little cheap toaster and hide it in a cabinet (like I do) so no one else will use it. Those little gluten buggers will definitely get you in the other one.

So, do you know about checking for hidden gluten in your toothpaste, face wash, shampoo, vitamins, prescriptions etc. ? That stuff is everywhere. Good Luck :)

Thanks for the info! I just returned from buying a toaster (and yes, I got a cheap one!) :)