8Curvey8

Sore, Sad, And Sick Of Getting Sick!

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for 3 years now and have had the best quality of life ever, until this past year... I got 2 stomach flus in the Spring that seemed to damage my intestinal track - has this happened to anyone before?

Slowly recovering I got glutened (sushi cc) and was again sick for another good 3 months of recovery. I was finally on track this fall, but got gluten'd at New YEars (sushi cc again).

My sweet husband got me some gluten free treats from a bakery that had CC and am back sick again on day 3 of recovery. I've officially decided to not eat anything I have not made myself anymore.

I have my parents watching my child all the time it seems, and I'm struggling through each day trying to run my business and take care of my family and home. It hurts that I need so much help taking care of my own child.

The fear of getting sick is also taking over my life as I have been sick, more than well, this past year. I don't even feel like eating anymore and no inspiration or energy to cook something.

Please tell me this is normal and will get better.

I have been gluten free for 3 years now and have had the best quality of life ever, until this past year... I got 2 stomach flus in the Spring that seemed to damage my intestinal track - has this happened to anyone before?

Slowly recovering I got glutened (sushi cc) and was again sick for another good 3 months of recovery. I was finally on track this fall, but got gluten'd at New YEars (sushi cc again).

My sweet husband got me some gluten free treats from a bakery that had CC and am back sick again on day 3 of recovery. I've officially decided to not eat anything I have not made myself anymore.

I have my parents watching my child all the time it seems, and I'm struggling through each day trying to run my business and take care of my family and home. It hurts that I need so much help taking care of my own child.

The fear of getting sick is also taking over my life as I have been sick, more than well, this past year. I don't even feel like eating anymore and no inspiration or energy to cook something.

Hi Curvey,

I can really feel the pain of this. Have had my own difficulties this Fall after working too hard and getting exhausted. I am totally with you on not eating out. I take my food with me everywhere. It is just food after all; just tell whomever you are too sensitive for it to be worth the chance of getting ill.

The thing is to look at why you have gotten so sensitive. I suggest going back to square one and baby your digestive system. Thus go back to no grains at all for a while, no sugars and eat a basic cave man like diet. It is very healing of the gut.

I also think taking some healing herbs from time to time might help -- though of course they aren't right for everyone. But many are helped by marshmallow root for instance. You also might look into taking basic plant digestive enzymes. I have found enterically coated acidophilus to be a great help. As is making my own 24 hour fermented yogurt (I am not allergic to casein, but do have a problem with lactose--the long fermentation of the yogurt gets rid of the lactose).

Again, try eating lots of vegetables--they really help. If your gut is too sensitive for raw veggies, steam them. Also consider blending them now and then so you get the benefits of the uncooked enzymes.

I have also found that taking olive leaf tea and/or extract capsules regularly (make sure of course they are gluten free!!, i.e., no alcohol extraction) is really helping me to restore myself. Daily use Olive leaf counteracts bad bacteria, viruses and fungi that many other things miss. Initially you might get a Herxheimer effect where you feel worse after the first 2 or 3 days, but that is a sign its working. Continue and I am betting soon you will feel way better than you have in months. And of course, drink lots of water!

Bea

Just wanted to offer a possibility for you to look into...

Small intestine bacterial infections (SIBO). My husband has had this before (once was from a stomach flu and once was from taking a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection). If you're not familiar with SIBO, read here.

It can cause symptoms similar to Celiac (bloating, diarrhea, nausea, et cetera) and makes your stomach super-sensitive. They test for SIBO through a simple breath test, and you have to go on a course of special antibiotics to fix it.

Wow, thank you both so much! I have made a dr.'s appointment with my Natureopath this week, but maybe I should see my GP too for the SIBO - that could be it too! It is so hard to diagnose and differentiate between symptoms from Celiac or something else.

Just wanted to offer a possibility for you to look into...

Small intestine bacterial infections (SIBO). My husband has had this before (once was from a stomach flu and once was from taking a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection). If you're not familiar with SIBO, read here.

It can cause symptoms similar to Celiac (bloating, diarrhea, nausea, et cetera) and makes your stomach super-sensitive. They test for SIBO through a simple breath test, and you have to go on a course of special antibiotics to fix it.

Wow, thank you both so much! I have made a dr.'s appointment with my Natureopath this week, but maybe I should see my GP too for the SIBO - that could be it too! It is so hard to diagnose and differentiate between symptoms from Celiac or something else.

I was diagnosed with SIBO and have had the course of antibiotics for treatment. I still have issues from time to time. It's a process of keeping the gut bacteria balanced and balancing soluble and unsoluble fiber in my diet. I also started taking VSL #3, a probiotic, that is sent refrigerated and been tested to deal with SIBO. I have seen a marked difference. Take one day at a time and de-stress in whatever way is best for you. Karena

Just make sure if you go to the MD to make sure they do a culture. I would not be too quick to take antibiotics--they can mess you up, esp. if they are too strong (like what happened to me this fall--the antibiotic was worse than the ear infection and messed up my gut flora awfully).

No matter what I agree its good to get checked out esp. if something keeps hanging on and other remedies don't work.

Bea

I agree - I am on probiotics already and will try that Marshmallow root for sure ;) I heard slippery elm was good too, but I think it also makes you go to the bathroom? Maybe not good right now? I don't ever take antibiotics and I see a Natureopath, I think they won't prescribe that either, possibly some kind of alternative ~ I'm seeing her Thursday. Getting tested is the best start and this may be the bases of my problems that is weakening me and makes complete sense.

I can see why killing all your bacteria with antibiotics then replenishing only good bacteria may be the best answer though, which I am open too. I love all your feedback and time and care ~ much appreciated!!! Finding this forum has been making me feel like I'm not the only celiac out there...

I agree - I am on probiotics already and will try that Marshmallow root for sure ;) I heard slippery elm was good too, but I think it also makes you go to the bathroom? Maybe not good right now? I don't ever take antibiotics and I see a Natureopath, I think they won't prescribe that either, possibly some kind of alternative ~ I'm seeing her Thursday. Getting tested is the best start and this may be the bases of my problems that is weakening me and makes complete sense.

I can see why killing all your bacteria with antibiotics then replenishing only good bacteria may be the best answer though, which I am open too. I love all your feedback and time and care ~ much appreciated!!! Finding this forum has been making me feel like I'm not the only celiac out there...

You should also see your regular doctor and get stool tests done. You may have had more than just a stomach flu. If you had or have something like salmonella you may need an antibiotic to clear it up. I had salmonella once for over a month of misery and although my doctor insisted it was just my IBS getting worse after she finally did the stool tests I got a big apology and a script for antibiotics that cleared it up very quickly. If you make sure you consume some yogurt or other probiotics while you are taking the antibiotic it will prevent the die off of the good bacteria.