Imanistj

Coping With Tax Itemization.

Rate this topic

I couldn't decide exactly where to place this question and I hope this is OK.

I hope some members claim the extra cost of gluten-free food on their income tax and can answer my question. I know the difference between gluten-free food and regular food may be claimed as a medical deduction on my income tax return. I have read that the average cost of gluten-free food is about 2/3 higher than regular food. Is there an equation to figure the amount rather than listing each gluten-free item minus the cost of the regular item? I saved all the register tapes of the gluten-free food I bought. I know some people say it isn't worth the bookeeping to write off gluten-free food costs but believe me, I can make the deduction even without adding in the gluten-free food. I have awful medical expenses.

I remember one person saying that the day they shop they note the price of regular bread that day. I don't know if that is what we have to do or if we can take an average. I do recall someone saying that it could be a red flag to audit but I don't know for sure. I am going to be doing the same thing so hopefully someone here will have done this before and give us some guidance.

Thanks I will check it out.