mygfworld

Hsa - Health Savings Account

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if Celiacs can use their Health Savings Account (thru work) to buy gluten-free foods? I would think that we should be able to since the food is medically necessary. Any ideas where to look for the answer?

Although I've never done it, I've read about others doing so. Call the company that runs yours.

richard

so by that logic can I use my HSA card to buy broccoli and steak? They're gluten free.

You don't *need* to buy pre-packaged manufactured "gluten free" foods. There are real foods that are naturally gluten free.

Does anyone know if Celiacs can use their Health Savings Account (thru work) to buy gluten-free foods? I would think that we should be able to since the food is medically necessary. Any ideas where to look for the answer?

On your income taxes, you can deduct the difference in cost between gluten-free food and non-gluten-free food but that pretty much only covers processed foods like bread, boxed stuff and not fruits and veggies or meat. You also have to have it exceed 7 1/2% of your adjusted gross income. Good luck with that.

I am not sure how it works with the HSA but I doubt you would be able to be re-imbursed for the difference. Plus, you would have to keep accurate records and receipts for all purchases and show the cost difference. Do you really have that much free time? :lol:

Being a medically necessary diet means nothing.....ask a diabetic! I know, it's totally annoying but the system isn't going to change.