emilyanne

Benefit Of Positive Biopsy?

Rate this topic

Can anyone think of any benefits to having a positive biopsy test via endoscopy, if i already test positive for the gene and for antibodies? (and have relief from a gluten free diet?)

are there any benefits (insurance or otherwise?) that would be worth delaying removal of detected contamination from my life so that i can get a positive biopsy result?

thanks !

If your doctor accepts the celiac diagnosis and will do the follow up nutrient level and other testing that should be done in my opinion that would be enough. If you are now gluten free you also would need to go back to a full gluten diet for at least 6 weeks to 3 months to try and get the most accurate biopsy possible. Even then a chance of false negative still exists.

As far as insurance goes some with a formal diagnosis run into the 'previously existing condition' and other issues with insurance. However there are times when insurance companies will balk at doing other required tests like a DEXA scan for osteoporosis in some folks without one.

I wanted the endoscopy with biopsy, yes to confirm the blood work, but also to make sure nothing else was going on. Not only did I have a positive biopsy, but found a hiatal hernia and esophagitis. It has been slightly over a year since my endoscopy and I have started having trouble with what seems to be food getting stuck. I even had my esophagus go into a spasm (tightning in mid chest). I never had this problem before as it is a recent development. I will probably have to go back to the gi doc and have another scope done.

It is not necessary to have an endoscopy to diagnose a hiatal hernia. The most common method to diagnose this is a barium Xray--much less invasive, and it is considered to be just as accurate.

We made different choices for different family members. I am very glad my son had the biopsy. He was the first one diagnosed, and had by far the most severe symptoms. When he failed to feel as much better as expected within a year on a gluten free diet, we did a repeat biopsy, which showed partial healing. It was great to know that he didn't have additional problems, and that his body was in the process of healing. Both biopsies showed that he did not have internal damage caused by allergies, another very useful thing to know, since he has positive test results to many foods. My daughter and I went straight to gluten free diets without a biopsy. She did not have symptoms, but was very clear that she wanted to avoid them after seeing what her brother went through. The sensitive stomach I always thought I had went away with a gluten free diet, and that has been enough for me. Based on our experiences, I would suggest you make a decision based on the severity of your symptoms. The more severe and potentially complicated your situation, the more important it may be to do a biopsy. But I can certainly understand wanting to avoid it if possible. Best of luck.