beksmom

Soy And Celiac ?

Rate this topic

I'm a little confused. . My gastro dr said NO Gluten,Wheat,Soy,or Barley. Are these all celiac no no's or is it just gluten. I have noticed in the gluten free mall that some of the foods contain soy in the ingredients. Please help me on these ingredients are any of them or not ?

I'm a little confused. . My gastro dr said NO Gluten,Wheat,Soy,or Barley. Are these all celiac no no's or is it just gluten. I have noticed in the gluten free mall that some of the foods contain soy in the ingredients. Please help me on these ingredients are any of them or not ?

The three gluten-containing grains are wheat, RYE and barley. Most oats are also cross-contaminated unless they are certified gluten-free oats.

If he mentioned to avoid soy, that is a separate intolerance that many celiacs have. I know I do. Did they test you for soy? Maybe they actually told you wheat, rye and barley.

The gluten is in wheat, rye, and barley. Lots of soy products have gluten in them, though, like most soy sauces. So the doctor may have misspoke, but it's a reminder to check those ingredients lists on everything. It's probably worth a phone call to confirm if soy was tested for separately for some reason.

The gluten is in wheat, rye, and barley. Lots of soy products have gluten in them, though, like most soy sauces. So the doctor may have misspoke, but it's a reminder to check those ingredients lists on everything. It's probably worth a phone call to confirm if soy was tested for separately for some reason.

Thank you Neroli you are probably right because i don't think i'm allergic to soy so it was a reminder that some soy foods have gluten in them.

Do you Know which soys have gluten, or just need to read, read, read ? ha ha Also is soybean the sameas soy? Please don't laugh but i'm just getting a little causious. Debbie

Always read the labels on everything. Some manufacturers change ingredients quite frequently, and their labels should reflect this. A product may be gluten-free one week, but not the next. It just all depends. Getting used to what to avoid is the first step. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction :)

Always read the labels on everything. Some manufacturers change ingredients quite frequently, and their labels should reflect this. A product may be gluten-free one week, but not the next. It just all depends. Getting used to what to avoid is the first step. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction :)

TANKS FOR THE TIP FREEATLAST I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP i CAN GET.

:)p

Thank you Neroli you are probably right because i don't think i'm allergic to soy so it was a reminder that some soy foods have gluten in them.

Do you Know which soys have gluten, or just need to read, read, read ? ha ha Also is soybean the sameas soy? Please don't laugh but i'm just getting a little causious. Debbie

Most soy sauces contain gluten. Those labelled Tamari usually don't, but Read the Label. Soybeans and soybean oil are soy, although some soy intolerants can tolerate the oil. I avoid it. Since I don't do soy, as soon as I see that on the label I read no further so I am no expert on this. The only one I know for sure that contains gluten is soy sauce. I have the problem that many gluten free processed foods contain soy (or potato, or citric acid, or corn) and so I don't eat a lot of processed food. :rolleyes: