This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help With Rome And Florence

littlehi

littlehi Rookie

I moved this post because no one in the international forum had any suggestions. And the other Italy posts were either too old or not on point.

About 8 of us are traveling to Rome and Florence in October. This is the first time I will travel to Italy since becoming gluten-free. My mom travels extensively but hasn't visited the two cities since becoming gluten-free either. I have read several websites, blogs, and this site so that I can begin to compile a list (and map) of gluten-free restaurants. I know Italy is pretty celiac friendly and I have my cards on how to ask/pronounce for meals without gluten.

The issue I am having is that I can only find two or three places that are highly recommended (or at least understand and will try to accomodate you). Mom has had Celiac for 20+ years and me for a few so we know what we can and can't eat. We intend on bringing food, going to the local markets, and will visit a pharmacy but if someone can suggest places to eat in Rome and Florence (and the address or area if you know it) I would appreciate it.

We are not fussy, we like reasonable meals with quaint staff, no stuffy places please! Thank you all so much. Jean

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tgrahek Newbie

I haven't been to Italy yet but hope to go next summer. I found this book that I plan on ordering, maybe it will help you.

Open Original Shared Link

Good luck!

littlehi Rookie

Thank you so much. I did see this book online but after looking at some of the responses on Amazon, I am not sure how much it will help. There are a couple of blogs with suggestions so maybe I will just go that route (have a couple places in my back pocket). It's not a huge issue, I just thought if there were some places that people just loved it would be nice to try them but then again - it's Italy, what's not to love! Thank you.

I haven't been to Italy yet but hope to go next summer. I found this book that I plan on ordering, maybe it will help you.

Good luck!

munchkinette Collaborator

I just went to Italy in June. Here are my thoughts.

I got had a reaction to gluten free pasta in a restaurant recommended by one of these guides. I did much better going to a restaurant, explaining that I needed something "senza glutine" (without gluten) and ordering a meat dish. A lot of the tourist sites have places with salads, including caprese (tomato and mozzarella) and a similar version with canned tuna. I ate a lot of that. Most of the bigger drug stores (farmacia) sell gluten-free cookies, although they are often behind the counter so you have to ask for "biscotti senza glutine." Don't eat gelato unless it's from a gluten-free gelateria found in the guide. They generally use wheat glucose syrup instead of corn syrup for most candy and gelato.

Another thing- when you are in Rome, definitely go to Fata Morgana gelateria. I think there are a few, but I went to the one north of the Vatican. Via Giovanni Bettolo, 7, Roma.

They have several custom flavors. It was worth the trip up there. It's small so it's tough to find on the street, but it's still there. :)

Hummingbird4 Explorer

I just found this regarding glucose syrup. It says it is gluten-free, FWIW:

I just found this regarding glucose syrup. It says it is gluten-free, FWIW:

It's true, it says that. It's the only reason I can think of that it's so hard to find gluten-free gelato. There wasn't anything else on the labels that I could find that would make regular gelato have gluten, except maybe "natural flavors." I typically don't trust candy with that wheat glucose, although I also have allergic reactions to wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

idahoengineer Newbie

We ate at Ristorante Camponeschi near Campo de Fiori in Rome. It was more expensive that we usually ate, but the food was GREAT, and they had gluten free pasta. I had a celiac restaurant guide, but we spent more time trying to find the places they listed and ended up having good luck just asking the host. I ate a lot of steak and caprese salad.

Almost every farmacia (found everywhere) had gluten free crackers. Some were inedible though. I'd bring my own next time. Definitely stock up and bring whatever you like for breakfast (gluten-free power bar kinda stuff travels well) - the breakfast scene is all about the bread.

I did not have any trouble with the gelato, and I ate it every day. My only reaction was cingale (boar stew) - we were at a sandwich place that had no options.

In Florence, we just ate at a touristy place near the Duomo (went back through my notes - no name, sorry). I had risotto, it was wonderful, and they were very sensitive to my celiaca. We had lunch at a place called Il Latini. Also very good.

Celiaco - male with celiac

Celiaca - female with celiac

This distinction was finally pointed out to us by a server in Rome. No wonder the servers looked at us funny when we said "celiaco" and pointed to me.

Have fun!

• 6 months later...
littlehi Rookie

Thank you to everyone who posted! I have been away from my computer for several months and now I am back in the swing of things and we are leaving in three weeks. I will write down the restaurant suggestions (I never did that before and I still kick myself). I always bring the staples: Kind fruit and nut bars, carrots, quinoa flakes (I used to take Altiplano instant quinoa but I think they may be out of business), nut thins, etc..

I know the Italians will be gracious and I certainly won't starve. :)) There's always fruit, wine, and cheese! Thank you all! Jean

Archived