daniknik

Glutenening Symptoms Vs. Other Food Intolerances?

Rate this topic

Hi Folks!

I am in a pickle. I've been eating an elimination diet and keeping a food diary every day now for 115 days. I confirmed Celiac via Entero Lab testing (and a positive dietary response) last week, but I also have blood test confirmed reactions to Milk, Egg, and Soy. I suspect that nightshades and yeast also cause problems and I've been avoiding these also. I am wondering if onions/leeks could also be triggers.

In the past few days I have had alternating good and bad days and I haven't had any drastic changes in my diet. ( I did try a new cereal-- Honey nut Chex that is gluten-free according to the box, a dolma at a Greek restaurant-that may have contained tomato, and I made a new butternut squash/leek soup) My primary complaint has been severe body pain (my mid-back aches terribly) in addition to gas (eggy smelling) and some bloating and D.

What are some of your symptoms to glutening? When do they appear and how many days do they persist? Do you have different symptoms for different food intolerances? Soy, Nightshades, Onions/Leeks?

I don't think it's a soy, milk, or egg problem but I'm still confused. In keeping this food journal, there are so many variables (I do 95% of my cooking at home) that I am trying to control, but I can't seem to figure out which food items are the ones that are getting me.

BTW, my house is not completely gluten-free. My wife eats gluten containing products, drinks soy and cow's milk, and eats eggs. I cleaned the kitchen top to bottom this past weekend and ended up in bad shape on Monday and then again yesterday (Wednesday). I'm still having back pain and it's so frustrating!

I appreciate your help!

You could of course have gotten CC'd at the restaurant or at home. The first thing I would do is drop the cereal and see if things improve.

As for differing symptoms with different intolerances I can only speak for myself and everyone is different. My gluten symptoms have a definate pattern starting with exhaustion and a short lived deep depression followed by migraines,bloating, gas, stomach pain and on the third day violent D. After that I get muscle and bone pain as well as an increase in my balance issues that will all resolve within about 3 weeks. I also will usually get a breakout of DH around a week after injestion but it is usually only a small spot not the face and back covering sores I used to have. When I get soyed I get bound up for days and have a great deal of stomach pain and some bone pain but once the 'plug' moves things resolve pretty quickly.

Please describe your back pain and symptoms in more detail. (You did describe the gas well enough :lol: )

I'm having my gall bladder removed on Tuesday. The worst problem while waiting is the back pain! Lower ribs on my right side. The pain after eating is "tightening" In my guts under my ribs. More like being crushed.

By any chance have you lost weight recently? Sudden weight loss is a known trigger for gallbladder problems. (In fact half of the patients meeting the surgeon for gallbladder removal had the gastric bypass, lapband, or other weightloss type surgeries.)

I too have lost weight recently as my daughter was diagnosed with EE and was put on a highly restricted diet. So a combination of stress and limiting my diet (as I won't eat things she can't have in front of her).

Just my thoughts.

Please describe your back pain and symptoms in more detail. (You did describe the gas well enough :lol: )

I'm having my gall bladder removed on Tuesday. The worst problem while waiting is the back pain! Lower ribs on my right side. The pain after eating is "tightening" In my guts under my ribs. More like being crushed.

By any chance have you lost weight recently? Sudden weight loss is a known trigger for gallbladder problems. (In fact half of the patients meeting the surgeon for gallbladder removal had the gastric bypass, lapband, or other weightloss type surgeries.)

I too have lost weight recently as my daughter was diagnosed with EE and was put on a highly restricted diet. So a combination of stress and limiting my diet (as I won't eat things she can't have in front of her).

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the input. I don't think that it's gallbladder related. I did lose 10 lbs. when I started the diet but I've gained back 5 of them and am back to what has, historically, been my normal weight (130lbs give or take at 5'7"). The back pain is more like a ache in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades that radiates outward. It's not a stabbing pain, but a constant one that feels different than if I'd pulled a muscle. I have retained my fexibility and range of movement which is why I don't think it's just muscle strain. I've had this type of pain for years off and on again, but I haven't had it for a while since starting the diet and was beginning to think that I'd gotten rid of it. BTW, today it's a little better than yesterday, which was a little better than the day before.

Thanks again!